Home

Every time I've blocked a field goal it's from...

This is a discussion on Every time I've blocked a field goal it's from... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Rookie

Maxil's Arena

OVR: 2
Every time I've blocked a field goal it's from...

Every time I've blocked a field goal (franchise), it's been from calling a timeout before the attempt.

First happened when I just wanted to stop the clock... block.

Then I started remembering about the iceing the kicker mechanics that showed up a couple years back (or last year? don't remember). And since then, at the end of the half, last 2 minutes of the game, and even just smack in the middle of a unrelevant FG, 90% of the time if I call a time out before the CPU kicks a FG I get really damn close to blocking it.

I've blocked it at least 4-5 times now in this current franchise (week 11), but if I were to add all the times during slider testings and other offline games it's been quite a bit and at least in my book, it's how it's done. (without nano-ing fg block adjustments)

Was curious if anyone has experimented with the 'iceing' mechanic? perhaps instead of artificially lowering kickers now they just either boost the blockers or deflate the linemen?

Also haven't tried this against punting, wouldn't see why it would have any effect there though... but who knows.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Every time I've blocked a field goal it's from...

i tried this last night because i thaught there was no way its true, but everytime i did it it worked i ended up returning one for a 87 yard TD. and blocked a game winner. i kinda hope it gets patched because i dont wanna have to call a time out for whatever reason and just block the kick always, i sort of like loseing every now and again it makes it more realistice to me rather than blowing out every team.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:23 AM   #3
All Star

OVR: 33

I've blocked 3 kicks in 3 seasons.

Two with DRC off the edge. And one with Felix Jones off the edge.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

If your that worried and want to ice the kicker just do a punt return. Granted, it's still sad that you might not call a timeout because if you do block the kick it won't feel legit.

Nice job EA. Guess icing the kicker wasn't working correctly.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisbfield
i tried this last night because i thaught there was no way its true, but everytime i did it it worked i ended up returning one for a 87 yard TD. and blocked a game winner. i kinda hope it gets patched because i dont wanna have to call a time out for whatever reason and just block the kick always, i sort of like loseing every now and again it makes it more realistice to me rather than blowing out every team.
so dont call a timeout if it doesnt feel realistic to you
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #6
Rookie

Maxil's Arena

OVR: 2

Yeah been doing it more intentionally.. doesn't work every time, but really it seems like more often than not it's really close to a block, and in pinch situations almost always. Was in a situation to try it online once but didn't get close to a block, but sometimes that does happen as well in franchise.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

I blocked 2 in a game today on All Madden. Both times I shifted the line left, then had the line attack left, then had the defense use "bump n cover". I know when you try to do these things, the FG unit doesn't actually "move", but I don't know if it was a coincidence that I tried to move them or not.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #8
Rookie

Preo32's Arena

OVR: 4

I dont call TOs to get blocked XP, although I have noticed that the one time i tried it, it was easier to make the jump. For some reason, I am good at timing the XP and FG attempts, whether against the CPU or a person. I played my friend and blocked 4 XP and a FG in one game. Against the computer in my madden franchise where I play as 6 teams and am 8 weeks in, I can easily say Ive blocked about 14 XP and 4 FGs. I always do it with the guys on the far ends depending on what leg the kicker kicks with (if hes a righty, I go for it with the guy on the far right on the screen).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »