Home

Cox, Kemp, Gilbert, or Haynesworth

This is a discussion on Cox, Kemp, Gilbert, or Haynesworth within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Cox, Kemp, Gilbert, or Haynesworth

I am using the Ravens 4-6 defense and already have Raevon Hines, Albert Haynesworth, and Calais Campbell.

Haynesworth (95 ovr 96 POT) is a FA at the end of the year and wants about 49M for 7yrs. I could franchise him and trade to pick between the three.

I've never had Cox, Gilbert or Kemp before.

With Kemp or Gilbert I'd leave then on the inside if it were Cox I'd move Hines inside.

Either way I've got a great d-line and the cost will come out about the same.

Suggestions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Cox, Kemp, Gilbert, or Haynesworth

IMO you've already got to great ends; Cox is only a marginal improvement over what you've got. For Cox-lite, switch Campbell to LE and move Hines to RE. Moving Hines inside will lose his best attribute, speed, in the middle of the defensive line.

I'd say Kemp or Gilbert would be better options than keeping Albert, because both are young players who will improve and be better teammates in the long run than Haynesworth. For an even trade, Kemp is your pick as the traditional DT - if you're looking for a hybrid player, Gilbert can play at DE in a pinch and will give you the inside speed that you'd get through moving Hines inside.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 26

I re-signed Albert Haynesworth in my Titans dynasty and it was about a wash. He did get 10 sacks a year the first couple of years, but his health rapidly degenerated. Just be aware you might need to trade him halfway through his contract.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:20 AM   #4
Rookie

Or another idea - franchise Hayensworth this year, trade him later on for a high pick (or let him walk), then trade up to get Quincy Sims
Old 09-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatemanchan37
Or another idea - franchise Hayensworth this year, trade him later on for a high pick (or let him walk), then trade up to get Quincy Sims
^This right here. I'd take Sims over Haynesworth in a heartbeat. Haynesworth is a great NT/traditional run stuffer for sure, but Sims can play any spot on the D-line. Besides, if you're running the Ravens 4-6, there's a fair amount of 3-4 in that PB, and Sims can play a traditional DT, a 3-4 DE, and he can play rush DE in a 4-3 too--but if you've got Hines and Campbell already, you really won't need Cox. Campbell will be a pain to resign, though. That's where having Sims comes in handy--just switch him to DE.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2011, 12:53 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

Cox is beast.Pure and simple. A sack machine even running in a bas 4-3 with very little blitzing. But, he's extremely unrealistic in numbers. He'll get you about 30 sacks a year easily once he knows the playbook. I've had him pushing up around 40 with a couple weeks left in the season, and I only had Patrick Lopez at DT and two other FA scrapheap signings at the rest of my line.

Why? EVERY MAJOR RATING is in the 95 range for him on his potential. Extreme speed, extreme power, extreme everything. He only has one or two ratings that won't cap out at over 90.

A big downside? His personality. The guy will demand to get paid on his contract negotiations.

For you, it's probably overkill though. Campbell is a great option, and, from what little I've seen of Hines when the eagles drafted him in my Redskins franchise, well, I didn;t like playing the Eagles at all after that.

You'd likely be better off going DT. Gilbert gives more of a pass rush in my experience. Kemp is good, but Gilbert is a little quicker to penetrate. Playing a 46 defense, I'd go for pass rush over run stop since you already have a stacked line by default with the formation. Your secondary is a bit more vulnerable in that defense, so a quicker pass rush, no matter how slight, is a major thing. Hayneswporth plays well, but he's not worth it to me. Seemed a bit more likely to wear down, but, as a Redskins fan, I also just really don't like the guy.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Haynesworth gets injured if you look at him funny. Cox is pretty money though.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
Rookie

Thanks for all the advice. I'm up to week 15 now so I'll know the decision is coming up soon.

I think I will franchise Haynesworth and trade him before he gets old and injured. I am still undecided on which lineman to pick up in replacement.

I was leaning towards going after a run stuffer in a later round, using Campbell on the inside when I'm in 4-3, 4-6, and nickel. Then putting Cox in the at OLB in the blitzing plays for 3-4 and across from Hines in all 4 down linemen sent.

Does Cox have any coverage skills at all?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »