Home

My take on the Player Progression "Issue"

This is a discussion on My take on the Player Progression "Issue" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
My take on the Player Progression "Issue"

I think we can all agree that player progression in madden 12 needs work. I understand both sides of the spectrum in terms of people saying it should be unlimited and that potential should have a cap and etc. I think the main problem is how we as madden gamers have received roster updates and adjustments from madden title to madden title and in recent online updates, week to week. We are used to having a player who has a breakout season in the NFL to get the ratings love that next season when we receive our madden copies. It is natural for us to expect that when we tear it up with a guy who is a C potential or whatever to get a pretty sizeable ratings increase when we advance to that next season. It has been ingrained in our madden psyche. That is how madden ratings are determined, off of STATS and team impact. Not off of, well we think he might be this good so he can only progress this many points. But, is it possible that the progression system could be broken? Take this scenario for example: In my Bengals franchise, Cedric Benson had a career season. He rushed for over 2,000 yds and tied Ladanian Tomlinson's rushing TD record in a season of 28. Benson also won the MVP that year and started in the pro bowl and my Bengals won the superbowl that year. Now, i go to the off season after the progressions take place and explain to me how Benson goes from an 81 ovr to an 80 ovr after a season like that??? Yes, he went DOWN a point. Now explain to me how that is supposed to make sense? Dont worry i'll wait.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: My take on the Player Progression "Issue"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKIRBY54
I think we can all agree that player progression in madden 12 needs work. I understand both sides of the spectrum in terms of people saying it should be unlimited and that potential should have a cap and etc. I think the main problem is how we as madden gamers have received roster updates and adjustments from madden title to madden title and in recent online updates, week to week. We are used to having a player who has a breakout season in the NFL to get the ratings love that next season when we receive our madden copies. It is natural for us to expect that when we tear it up with a guy who is a C potential or whatever to get a pretty sizeable ratings increase when we advance to that next season. It has been ingrained in our madden psyche. That is how madden ratings are determined, off of STATS and team impact. Not off of, well we think he might be this good so he can only progress this many points. But, is it possible that the progression system could be broken? Take this scenario for example: In my Bengals franchise, Cedric Benson had a career season. He rushed for over 2,000 yds and tied Ladanian Tomlinson's rushing TD record in a season of 28. Benson also won the MVP that year and started in the pro bowl and my Bengals won the superbowl that year. Now, i go to the off season after the progressions take place and explain to me how Benson goes from an 81 ovr to an 80 ovr after a season like that??? Yes, he went DOWN a point. Now explain to me how that is supposed to make sense? Dont worry i'll wait.....
Because even Madden knows the chances of Cedric Benson rushing for 2000 yards and rushing in for 28 TDs in a season along with the Bengals winning a Super Bowl is like Cedric Benson going one off season without getting arrested. Slim to none!
Old 09-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twimstaxs
Because even Madden knows the chances of Cedric Benson rushing for 2000 yards and rushing in for 28 TDs in a season along with the Bengals winning a Super Bowl is like Cedric Benson going one off season without getting arrested. Slim to none!
lol that made me laugh. but seriously though, as crazy as it sounds i managed to get that done. i re-tooled the offensive line, ran the ball and played tough defense. and i had young talent like green, dalton, and gresham to make plays for me. i did the best you could possibly do with my resources.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKIRBY54
lol that made me laugh. but seriously though, as crazy as it sounds i managed to get that done. i re-tooled the offensive line, ran the ball and played tough defense. and i had young talent like green, dalton, and gresham to make plays for me. i did the best you could possibly do with my resources.
Yeah I feel you. I honestly think that progression should be based on stats. I really do. It should also include the scheme they have going on now about age of the player and what players at his position overall ave and stats are. If he is the most productive out of his age group then he should obviously be rated higher. I think the potential should still be there, but say a player does not live up to that potential by year 3 or 4 they should start decreasing their attributes drastically. I think that would be the best progression system for my liking. You should be able to turn a potential F in a Pro Bowler and their attributes reflect that. They should be classified as a gem even if their grade was an F. That way in a Draft you could draft anyone, but it is up to how you use your 54 overall speedy HB. If you use him a lot and start to produce good numbers he should progress accordingly.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

Well Kevan Barlow had one good year for the niners, got the love in Madden and NFL 2K, but of course in reality it was a complete fluke season and he was quickly forgotten about thanks to the rise of Frank Gore.

But someone like Benson, who has shown in teh past he can play, a career season like that should never result in him losing ratings or stagnating...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExPope
Well Kevan Barlow had one good year for the niners, got the love in Madden and NFL 2K, but of course in reality it was a complete fluke season and he was quickly forgotten about thanks to the rise of Frank Gore.

But someone like Benson, who has shown in teh past he can play, a career season like that should never result in him losing ratings or stagnating...
He didn't for the Bears ...
Old 09-29-2011, 12:43 AM   #7
MVP

Obnoxious's Arena

OVR: 10

My WRs get about 40-60 catches evenly with close to 900 yards with about 5 touchdowns each and they keep going down.

Only positions I can seem to get increasing Ovr ratings is HB and DL.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
Rookie

Yea i just dont get the issue here. And it would be nice if one of the developers could write a blog on here giving us some insight on how player progression actually works and how they incorporated their system into the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »