Home

Week 5: Tennessee Titans (3-1) @ Pittsburgh Steelers (2-2)

This is a discussion on Week 5: Tennessee Titans (3-1) @ Pittsburgh Steelers (2-2) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

SteelersFreak's Arena

OVR: 19
Week 5: Tennessee Titans (3-1) @ Pittsburgh Steelers (2-2)

I know its only Tuesday but I'm making this thread now because I think this could be a turning point game for both of these teams in the season. The Titans have surprised everyone by going 3-1 in the first quarter of the season and if they beat the Steelers this week are looking at a solid chance at a playoff spot. The Steelers are trying to bounce back from a tough loss to the Texans and a narrow victory against the Colts and that offensive line probably isn't going to get much better.

On the plus side for the Titans, James Harrison is out and its looking like his backup, Jason Worilds is going to miss the game as well which means Lawrence Timmons is going to move to outside linebacker and Larry Foote is going to start along side James Farrior in the inside backer spot. Expect to see some shoddy play as Farrior has been getting subbed consistently by Foote so we'll see some of Stevenson Sylvester, who hasn't played much linebacker outside of the preseason. The Steelers offensive line probably isn't going to be much better, even if Jonathan Scott and Doug Legursky are able to come back, as neither of them are much better than Trai Essex or Ramon Foster.

Fortunately for the Steelers, the Titans don't have as strong of a pass rush or as strong a passing game as the Texans did and if they are able to key in and stop the run, a tough task it seems for this defense this year, they should be able to force Hasselbeck into some bad throws or force some sacks. Hopefully the line will be able to hold up better than they did against the Texans and give Ben a little more time to make some big throws. Chris Hope is out for the Titans so that's a bonus for the Steelers and I would expect Mike Wallace to go crazy on Cortland Finnedouche.

Steelers need to get the run game going, that's what brought them offensive success against the Texans because with that offensive line, Ben can't do it alone this year. That being said, I think the Steelers pull this one off at home and (hopefully) right the ship for this year, at least until they play the Patriots and Ravens in back to back weeks in the not too distant future.

Steelers - 20
Titans - 17

Suisham hits a field goal in the last seconds to win it after missing a chip shot earlier in the game (just like against the Colts).
NHL: Dallas Stars
NCAA: Alabama Crimson Tide

University of North Texas '14
GO MEAN GREEN!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Go Titans..

OVR: 34
Re: Week 5: Tennessee Titans (3-1) @ Pittsburgh Steelers (2-2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFreak
I know its only Tuesday but I'm making this thread now because I think this could be a turning point game for both of these teams in the season. The Titans have surprised everyone by going 3-1 in the first quarter of the season and if they beat the Steelers this week are looking at a solid chance at a playoff spot. The Steelers are trying to bounce back from a tough loss to the Texans and a narrow victory against the Colts and that offensive line probably isn't going to get much better.

On the plus side for the Titans, James Harrison is out and its looking like his backup, Jason Worilds is going to miss the game as well which means Lawrence Timmons is going to move to outside linebacker and Larry Foote is going to start along side James Farrior in the inside backer spot. Expect to see some shoddy play as Farrior has been getting subbed consistently by Foote so we'll see some of Stevenson Sylvester, who hasn't played much linebacker outside of the preseason. The Steelers offensive line probably isn't going to be much better, even if Jonathan Scott and Doug Legursky are able to come back, as neither of them are much better than Trai Essex or Ramon Foster.

Fortunately for the Steelers, the Titans don't have as strong of a pass rush or as strong a passing game as the Texans did and if they are able to key in and stop the run, a tough task it seems for this defense this year, they should be able to force Hasselbeck into some bad throws or force some sacks. Hopefully the line will be able to hold up better than they did against the Texans and give Ben a little more time to make some big throws. Chris Hope is out for the Titans so that's a bonus for the Steelers and I would expect Mike Wallace to go crazy on Cortland Finnedouche.

Steelers need to get the run game going, that's what brought them offensive success against the Texans because with that offensive line, Ben can't do it alone this year. That being said, I think the Steelers pull this one off at home and (hopefully) right the ship for this year, at least until they play the Patriots and Ravens in back to back weeks in the not too distant future.

Steelers - 20
Titans - 17

Suisham hits a field goal in the last seconds to win it after missing a chip shot earlier in the game (just like against the Colts).
I hate to dog Suisham, but I grin every time someone says he kicks the game winning field goal. Wasn't he the one who missed the game winning FG for the Redskins that was literally like 15 yards against the Saints two years ago when they we're undefeated and got fired the next day?

Anyway, I'm still uncertain on the Titans. The offense looked great against the Browns without Britt, but I think Cleveland's defense may had been on the hype train.

Steelers really haven't won a game against anyone good (Seahawks and Colts). The Titans haven't played anyone that great either, but they did dominate the Ravens a couple of weeks ago.

I expect the game to be relatively close, something like 24-10 or 23-14 type of score. Doesn't matter anyway, my predictions have been way off this season
Old 10-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

SteelersFreak's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_OS
I hate to dog Suisham, but I grin every time someone says he kicks the game winning field goal. Wasn't he the one who missed the game winning FG for the Redskins that was literally like 15 yards against the Saints two years ago when they we're undefeated and got fired the next day?

Anyway, I'm still uncertain on the Titans. The offense looked great against the Browns without Britt, but I think Cleveland's defense may had been on the hype train.

Steelers really haven't won a game against anyone good (Seahawks and Colts). The Titans haven't played anyone that great either, but they did dominate the Ravens a couple of weeks ago.

I expect the game to be relatively close, something like 24-10 or 23-14 type of score. Doesn't matter anyway, my predictions have been way off this season
Actually they showed a stat against the Colts that Suisham has never missed a game-winning field goal. He's missed game-tying field goals and what not.
NHL: Dallas Stars
NCAA: Alabama Crimson Tide

University of North Texas '14
GO MEAN GREEN!
Old 10-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
MVP

Rancid Radio's Arena

OVR: 14

Two teams going in opposite directions, Titans win 20-10.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
MVP

Rancid Radio's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFreak
Actually they showed a stat against the Colts that Suisham has never missed a game-winning field goal. He's missed game-tying field goals and what not.
No, I remember the Saints/Redskins game as well and he missed a game winner in that one. It was like 20 some odd yards I recall, and so bad they cut him the next day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 12

As was the case last week, individual matchups do not look good for Pitt.

Hasselbeck will have all day to do whatever he wants. Nobody from Pitt is going to penetrate the likes of Stewart and Roos to get to the QB. There's been little pass rush against weaker lines, now they face one of the elite pass blocking lines out there. Also, look for CJ2K to bust at least 1 long one. Foote and Farrior out there trying to stop Johnson, LOL, you gotta be kidding. This D regresses even further without Harrison out there, bad back and all, he's still by far their best LB.

On O, the Steeler's line will have trouble containing Klug, Hayes, and Morgan. It's become comical how bad this line truly is. Good luck Ben. I don't know what other's think, but "dancing shoes" Mendy should be on the bench, with Redman starting. Not that he doesn't have skills, but he's not the back to have with this oline blocking for him. He looks for holes, while Redman just attacks whatever creases are available.

Only shot Pitt has is if the D steps up in their leader's absence, and that Ben and Redman make enough plays to scrape out a win. Hoping for the best, but expecting another L.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_OS
He did miss a 23 yarder against the Saints 3 years ago and was cut 2 days later by the Redskins.

With that said, he's been pretty steady for the Steelers so I don't think that has much bearing. Probably as much bearing as saying Suisham made the game winning FG against Buffalo in 2010 (over 40yds) and he also made a 38yd FG with 4 seconds left to beat the Colts this season so Suisham must be a good late game kicker.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
#BurghProud

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34

I know it's still early, but I think this is pretty much a must win for the Steelers. This team needs to play more consistently. The Steelers are really hurting though on both lines and the LB since Aaron Smith may miss the game with a foot sprain and if Keisel still can't go that probably means Hood and Heyward both starting. On the offensive line, the Steelers brought back Max Starks to try and help while they reported that Legursky and Jonathan Scott should be able to go this week. To make room for Starks, they cut 2nd year player Chris Scott.

Steelers: IX, X, XIII, XIV, XL, XLIII
Penguins:1990/91, 1991/92, 2008/09, 20015/16, 2016/17
Pirates:1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979
Panthers (FB): 1915, 1916, 1918, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1976
Panthers (MBB): 1927/28, 1929/30

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »