Home

Scouting: From Trivial to Soul Crushingly Difficult?

This is a discussion on Scouting: From Trivial to Soul Crushingly Difficult? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Scouting: From Trivial to Soul Crushingly Difficult?

When I first started a franchise in Madden 12, I found a little glitch that allowed me to guess the potential of players. I used that, but eventually it just made the draft too easy, so I started a new franchise (one that I basically sim to get to scouting and drafting) and it's much more challenging than earlier versions, or the way I had been gaming the system.

In fact, I dare say it may be too challenging. I'm fine with a few busts, or even a draft of busts. But I had a string of 3 draft classes of busts.

I'm pretty good (or at least competent) in drafting OL, LB, and QBs, but everyone else is a toss up. There's only 5 workouts and I generally spend them on wrs and cbs, who almost always end up being C or worse, despite their previous reveals (high speed, agil, acc).

Is anyone else having the same problem? Any other advise? (I've already checked out the other scouting tips thread; I still fail )

I like the new system as a good first pass, but IMO a better system would give us the basic combine reports on everyone and increase the importance of player traits and roles. I'd also suggest moving "catch in traffic" "throw on the run" and "play action" to player traits. This would mean some current and future traits would not be binary but a continuum.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Scouting: From Trivial to Soul Crushingly Difficult?

Yeah, if you don't cheat a little on figuring out draftees' potential ratings, then drafting is a complete crapshoot. At least better NFL GMs and scouts can get a feel for a guy's work ethic and coachability, but Madden does nothing to simulate that. Adding to the frustration is that there are probably more C-and-lower potential guys in the first few rounds than there should be, so it's quite easy to end up with NONE of your draft picks panning out.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

I like the scouting method they make you go through... However, I think it would be more realistic if they gave you more scouting reports at the Combine and Pro Days.

It's true that in real-life, they don't have the ability to scout EVERY player closely, but... for the most part... teams have a LITTLE knowledge on every player in the draft. The way the current system is set-up, we can only scout a small amount of players in the draft. The players that we DO scout out, I like the process and amount of info we have on them.

I think your standards are too high though when you grade your draft class. Naturally, your 1st/2nd round picks should be complete players that'll become starters, but the 3rd rounders and so forth may just be good in certain skills. They're not MEANT to be a starter who will be an 80+ OVR. They're meant to excel in certain skills. For instance...

- Your nickelback who's not the greatest tackler, or zone cover guy. Sure, he's not complete, but he's got great agility. You could stick him on the slot receiver and feel comfortable. To me, that's good value at the 4th round.

- Your 84 speed slot receiver. Sure, he's not the fastest guy and won't be that effective in his twilight years, but he's got great hands and a CIT rating. He won't drop easy balls. I'd love to have a guy from the fifth round that I can get the ball to on third-down to move the chains.

The point I'm making is that you should try to draft for certain skills, rather than complete players. Of course, if you get lucky and get a guy with A or B potential in the later rounds, that's awesome... but it's unrealistic to draft guys that have the skills to do EVERYTHING.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwubbie
I like the scouting method they make you go through... However, I think it would be more realistic if they gave you more scouting reports at the Combine and Pro Days.

It's true that in real-life, they don't have the ability to scout EVERY player closely, but... for the most part... teams have a LITTLE knowledge on every player in the draft. The way the current system is set-up, we can only scout a small amount of players in the draft. The players that we DO scout out, I like the process and amount of info we have on them.

I think your standards are too high though when you grade your draft class. Naturally, your 1st/2nd round picks should be complete players that'll become starters, but the 3rd rounders and so forth may just be good in certain skills. They're not MEANT to be a starter who will be an 80+ OVR. They're meant to excel in certain skills. For instance...

- Your nickelback who's not the greatest tackler, or zone cover guy. Sure, he's not complete, but he's got great agility. You could stick him on the slot receiver and feel comfortable. To me, that's good value at the 4th round.

- Your 84 speed slot receiver. Sure, he's not the fastest guy and won't be that effective in his twilight years, but he's got great hands and a CIT rating. He won't drop easy balls. I'd love to have a guy from the fifth round that I can get the ball to on third-down to move the chains.

The point I'm making is that you should try to draft for certain skills, rather than complete players. Of course, if you get lucky and get a guy with A or B potential in the later rounds, that's awesome... but it's unrealistic to draft guys that have the skills to do EVERYTHING.
I agree with this, and even if you look at the real drafts, not even every 1st rounder pan out. Some excel, some bust out, and others become middle of the pack guys.

I don't inherently dislike the drafting and scouting system. I'm sure there are ways to improve it, but it's not in and of itself bad.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

In real life at the very least in the NFL combine, you always have access to a player's 40, 10, agility, vertical jump, and other measurables if you have never even seen the guy. That is what the NFL combine is basically for. Yet in Madden we don't have access to these numbers after the combine which is kind of frustrating. After the combine all of those speed, agility, acceleration, jumping, etc. should be unlocked in my opinion.

Then when you have pro days, individual workouts, scouting during the season, etc. that is when you unlock intangibles like ball carrier vision, catching, catch in traffic, route running, blocking, zone cover, etc..

Last edited by huskerwr38; 10-10-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Pro

timmuh1515's Arena

OVR: 5

In my first franchise i didn't cheat to learn hidden potential...but i sort of cheated by trading for future draft picks. It is so easy to rack up a large amount of quality picks for the following year. I'd end up with 10-15 picks in a given year...and these are 1st/2nd/3rd round picks.

Anyway i started over also just basically drafting with the picks i have. I rarely focus on 1st round picks anymore. I target 2nd/3rd round guys with my individual workouts since i can draft them a round early if they're good.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
MVP

mm boost's Arena

OVR: 12

Scouting isn't working for me. I scouted 15 players in week 1 and I am on week 7 now and it still won't allow we to scout anyone else. It shows 0/15 in top right but won't let me click on anyone...very frustrating because I've already started building my draft board in notepad. Please help!

Old 10-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
MVP

SuperSeahawks's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm boost
Scouting isn't working for me. I scouted 15 players in week 1 and I am on week 7 now and it still won't allow we to scout anyone else. It shows 0/15 in top right but won't let me click on anyone...very frustrating because I've already started building my draft board in notepad. Please help!
You can only scout during the regular season in Weeks 1, 5, 9, 13, and 17.

PSN: SeahawkFan11OS

GT: SuperSeahawks

Twitch

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »