Home

Being commish of an online dynasty...

This is a discussion on Being commish of an online dynasty... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
Being commish of an online dynasty...

I'd like to try my hand at starting an online dynasty. Before I create one or delve into it, are there any pointers or any advice that can be offered? Ive been in one but have never been in control.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Being commish of an online dynasty...

The following pointers are taken from the long running OD I have been in and enjoy in all aspects.

1) Make it a head set dynasty ( conversing with your fellow coaches not only pushes a player to play with more realism, it also adds to the fun factor.

2) Look for players of similar skill level ( best done by the commish or other coach playing a practice game or two with perspective coach, to see if he plays sim like and is dedicated to the league.

3) Make it casual ( advancing once or at most twice a week) This allows time to set up user matches on a seperate board, or by email/text. Everyone's schedule varies, so this is quite important.

4) Keep it interesting ( weekly write ups/ saved highlights etc..) This immerses the members, and keeps the dynasty fresh. Example: I do a weekly spread for the OD I'm in, picking the winners and giving a small preview of the weekly games etc..

5) Have coaches on a waiting list ( there's always going to be quitters)

6) Have fun, play legit, and most importantly---------COMMUNICATE!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
Banned

teets's Arena

Whatever the Big XII does in real life, do the exact opposite.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
MVP

InspectahDeck's Arena

OVR: 18

defwen23 gave you some good ideas. I would says 2-3 day advances are what you want. You are not going to have a great league playing at a 1-2 games a week.

Make sure you put forward very clear guidelines for restarts and user conduct in user vs user games. Like disallowing strategy use, kickoffs, fake punts going for it on 4th downs how often a player can use no huddle and so on.

Not really sure how easy it would be for you to find 12 gamers with headsets. That's more of a shooter type thing imo than a sports gaming thing.

I would make sure you put some recruiting rules together seniors plus rule normally is a good idea.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Rookie

dymndheartkilla's Arena

OVR: 1
I run a daily advance league an we do well. There are twelve of us so it can be tough. If you want to do daily advance you have to be patient and not just fill the league with the first twelve guys that show up. Wait for guys that have similar schedules to the current members as it will decrease the chances of schedule issues.

I agree with the headset thing. But it is tough because many people will say they don't have one.

Make rules/guidelines for any issue you can imagine happening. It is a pain in the A to do am will take a couple hours of your time but it will save you tons of stress down the road. If everyone knows the rules and knows the penalties you deal with far less issues as the commissioner, which is the only crappy part of the job. "this guys going for it on 4th in his own territory! Do something about it!" stuff like that can really suck your gaming time up. It's easier if you can just point to a rule that says it's fine, or message the other guy and point to where it's not. Takes away the bickering
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by defwen23
2) Look for players of similar skill level ( best done by the commish or other coach playing a practice game or two with perspective coach, to see if he plays sim like and is dedicated to the league.

3) Make it casual ( advancing once or at most twice a week) This allows time to set up user matches on a seperate board, or by email/text. Everyone's schedule varies, so this is quite important.

6) Have fun, play legit, and most importantly---------COMMUNICATE!
For my OD, the above are the most important. I run a once a week OD. I kept it small this year with 6 members and we get through 2 games a week even though I said that we'd play at least once a week. I made sure to find players who were like me, I have two very young children so finding time to play is tough. My league is made up of people who have a family, full time work or go to school full time. The idea is to make sure you get people not only the same skill level as you but have the same amount of time to play as you. In my experience, some players with more time to play than me get anxious to advance while players who aren't dedicated/don't have time to play have not lasted in my OD.

And lastly, make sure you at least message your members every time you advance. Keep them up to date with what your doing in the OD as far as advancing, settings, ect. The worst thing to do is to make a change or advance without them knowing. Communication is huge especially if you have one guy left who needs to play. Only advance if you clearly stated a deadline for advancing, i.e., the OD will advance every Thursday night at 9 PM Pacific Time.

Hope this helps.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »