Home

Tomba's Coaching Profiles Formulas

This is a discussion on Tomba's Coaching Profiles Formulas within the NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65
Tomba's Coaching Profiles Formulas

Hey all! Tomba here

I've been able to find out a something very cool in regards to how the game works with all the editing abilities we have for tailoring gameplay to our liking. Everyone knows by now what we can tweak, edit and eliminate, but I'll do an overview of what's there:

1)Player Attributes - Which has player ratings,abilites(which is boosting)player tendencies,player hotspots and player signature moves
2)Gameplay Sliders
3)Coaching Profiles

Now all of these combined undoubtingly are suposed to work together. My friends... THEY DO NOT. The simple truth is that with so many things being able to be edited you'd THINK that the game would play without falter...

In playing the game, making sliders for the game I've been able to see how this game actually handles all the ratings, tendencies and gameplay settings at default and then from personal adjustment.

Now, I was asked by Paul Pierce to aid him with his roster. He had two specific things he needed help with. One. Coaching profiles and TWO. Player Hotspots. Hotspots I admittingly I didn't want to do, so I got him to let me do SIG Moves! (Yay). I mention this, because if it was for this I would have never been put on to the coaching profiles and my findings within the coaching profile area.

First things first. Player ratings, abilities, tendencies and hot spots are already a TON of data for the computer to be trying to implement well. When we then add Gameplay Sliders and Coaching Profiles it adds even more that the computer has to end up rendering into accurate animations and results.

So... If we have all this rating information trying to be dealth with there is bound to be errors, hiccups and in general herky jerky gameplay. Pretty much making what we think to be perfect... IMPERFECT.

I have a bit of a solution and something that I've now spent tons of playtesting with to finally feel confident with that I feel the community should be filled in on...

If ratings are dealth with to the finest of even/odd numbers 54's,65's,72's 83's or 91's(number that are freely given to players ratings etc) then Gameplay sliders and coaching profiles CAN NOT have these given to them and need to have solid,easier numbers for the computer to generate better results with what is there for the players individual ratings.

This means that for Coaching profiles SPECIFICALLY the numbering should be nothing but these...

Coaching profiles with numbering like this

meaning no 3's,14's 27's,34's,49's.51's etc etc

EVEN numbers for Coaching profiles make it smoother. Anything with an odd number screw up the mix between player ratings player tendencies etc.

Call me crazy but it's pretty amazing right now. I always felt that 2k12 was good out of the box even all the player speed stuff I did on 2k9 and 2k10 didn't have to be done this year or last that much aside from the centers moving very sluggishly.

I'd like it if you guys can try this out for yourselves. These will be in Paul Pierces vtcrb rated roster completely done so that you will have them for use right off the bat. I will release the actual numbers for reg users who feel they'd like to use them individually as well, but remember coaching profiles ADD speed they add additional boosts etc so having them te way I have them set up allows for better working sliders etc (um esp mine lol)

Below are just the numbers for the Sixers and Bobcats that you'd have to enter in for their coaching profiles top to bottom.

Sixers
100,50,50,100,25,75,0,0,50,50,50,50,50,50,50,50,50 50,50,50,50
Bobcats
25,50,50,25,50,100,0,0,25,50,50,50,25,50,75,50,25, 75,50,50,50,

So with that...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Tomba's Coaching Profiles Formulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Hey all! Tomba here

I've been able to find out a something very cool in regards to how the game works with all the editing abilities we have for tailoring gameplay to our liking. Everyone knows by now what we can tweak, edit and eliminate, but I'll do an overview of what's there:

1)Player Attributes - Which has player ratings,abilites(which is boosting)player tendencies,player hotspots and player signature moves
2)Gameplay Sliders
3)Coaching Profiles

Now all of these combined undoubtingly are suposed to work together. My friends... THEY DO NOT. The simple truth is that with so many things being able to be edited you'd THINK that the game would play without falter...

In playing the game, making sliders for the game I've been able to see how this game actually handles all the ratings, tendencies and gameplay settings at default and then from personal adjustment.

Now, I was asked by Paul Pierce to aid him with his roster. He had two specific things he needed help with. One. Coaching profiles and TWO. Player Hotspots. Hotspots I admittingly I didn't want to do, so I got him to let me do SIG Moves! (Yay). I mention this, because if it was for this I would have never been put on to the coaching profiles and my findings within the coaching profile area.

First things first. Player ratings, abilities, tendencies and hot spots are already a TON of data for the computer to be trying to implement well. When we then add Gameplay Sliders and Coaching Profiles it adds even more that the computer has to end up rendering into accurate animations and results.

So... If we have all this rating information trying to be dealth with there is bound to be errors, hiccups and in general herky jerky gameplay. Pretty much making what we think to be perfect... IMPERFECT.

I have a bit of a solution and something that I've now spent tons of playtesting with to finally feel confident with that I feel the community should be filled in on...

If ratings are dealth with to the finest of even/odd numbers 54's,65's,72's 83's or 91's(number that are freely given to players ratings etc) then Gameplay sliders and coaching profiles CAN NOT have these given to them and need to have solid,easier numbers for the computer to generate better results with what is there for the players individual ratings.

This means that for Coaching profiles SPECIFICALLY the numbering should be nothing but these...

Coaching profiles with numbering like this

meaning no 3's,14's 27's,34's,49's.51's etc etc

EVEN numbers for Coaching profiles make it smoother. Anything with an odd number screw up the mix between player ratings player tendencies etc.

Call me crazy but it's pretty amazing right now. I always felt that 2k12 was good out of the box even all the player speed stuff I did on 2k9 and 2k10 didn't have to be done this year or last that much aside from the centers moving very sluggishly.

I'd like it if you guys can try this out for yourselves. These will be in Paul Pierces vtcrb rated roster completely done so that you will have them for use right off the bat. I will release the actual numbers for reg users who feel they'd like to use them individually as well, but remember coaching profiles ADD speed they add additional boosts etc so having them te way I have them set up allows for better working sliders etc (um esp mine lol)

Below are just the numbers for the Sixers and Bobcats that you'd have to enter in for their coaching profiles top to bottom.

Sixers
100,50,50,100,25,75,0,0,50,50,50,50,50,50,50,50,50 50,50,50,50
Bobcats
25,50,50,25,50,100,0,0,25,50,50,50,25,50,75,50,25, 75,50,50,50,

So with that...
Good stuff bro!

I used to always go by those numbers when dealing with sliders and coach profiles.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
Good stuff bro!

I used to always go by those numbers when dealing with sliders and coach profiles.
True thats why many of the sliders Ive done always had those numbers i just never thought of it in this way before with coach profiles.

I'm hoping to get feedback from peeps to see if I got the teams right
Old 10-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

Update...

I think Im going to go with a even more drastic cut

Where zero REALLY cuts down on whatever it is you want it to cut
Where 50 has no effect and plays off the ratings and is almist a "DEFAULT"
and
Where 100 completely FORCES whatever you want to happen... HAPPEN.

I saw some instances where plays were like "wondering" what to do still this just automatically reduces that...
Old 10-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Banned

DaTwolves21's Arena

OVR: 17

Sorry, I'm a little skeptical about these. Not calling you crazy but if this formula was true, why would 2k not implement these for better gameplay. Also exactly what am I looking for that's any different from anything else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

I think you came to one correct conclusion and one incorrect conclusion.

Correct: Setting certain sliders in Coach Profiles to 0 or 100 gives you absolute control over the player's actions and is more "clearly" defined.

Incorrect: There is something wrong with settings that are anywhere between 1 and 99.

There's simply no objective data to back up a claim that setting these sliders at 19 or 41 or 67 won't produce the intended result. I've tested Coach Profiles extensively as well and have gotten the desired effect consistently by making 10-20 point changes between 1 and 99.

Certain Coach Profile settings have a much greater impact at 0 or 100 than others as well, but that doesn't make it any more/less correct to use those values. Just my two cents (and I have tested most, but not all, of the Coach Profile sliders at 0 and 100 in CPU/CPU and Coach Mode to see the effects).
Old 10-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTwolves21
Sorry, I'm a little skeptical about these. Not calling you crazy but if this formula was true, why would 2k not implement these for better gameplay. Also exactly what am I looking for that's any different from anything else.
You've been around so don't take this negatively

I you don't believe my work by now then I dont know what i can say to convince you otherwise.

I dont usually post stuff without ever testing it myself and even then its pretty extensive as i JUST focus on the edit itself and nothing else so its very scrutinized.

That said. When did you EVER see a game company implement anything perfect. Its a KNOWN fact that EA and 2k have put out wonky roster ratings etc in their product year after year. You saying why they didn't just implement that in is literally saying madden 12 is fine. and mlb 2k11 was fine etc etc and the thousands of users here complaining about those games are just seeing placebo effect. The reason why most developer dont put time and effort into things like this is because they try to work on their testers with just game breaking bugs not fine tuning etc. The fine tuning we see this year with NBA 2k12 happens from newer animations being brought in that's it.

As far as what this edit of the coaching profiles does is HOPEFULLY make that addditional line of determination code be shorter thus making the game smoother and more streamlined in it's animational decisions.

Please try it for yourself first before pre judging. All I see on this board lately is guys trying to diss each other when it should be a community trying to HELP each other. This year I'm not doing a roster for NBA2k12 I rather help out.

And with that...
Old 10-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
I think you came to one correct conclusion and one incorrect conclusion.

Correct: Setting certain sliders in Coach Profiles to 0 or 100 gives you absolute control over the player's actions and is more "clearly" defined.

Incorrect: There is something wrong with settings that are anywhere between 1 and 99.

There's simply no objective data to back up a claim that setting these sliders at 19 or 41 or 67 won't produce the intended result. I've tested Coach Profiles extensively as well and have gotten the desired effect consistently by making 10-20 point changes between 1 and 99.

Certain Coach Profile settings have a much greater impact at 0 or 100 than others as well, but that doesn't make it any more/less correct to use those values. Just my two cents (and I have tested most, but not all, of the Coach Profile sliders at 0 and 100 in CPU/CPU and Coach Mode to see the effects).
But there's an issue with that...

ODD integers.

For example. When I edited out speed in NBA 2k9 and 2k10. I learned that running animations were locked at certain numbers. ALL started at even numbers. 65 70 75 80 so on and so on.

With coaching profiles at even 60 65 and 70 i am lead to believe that it INTERUPTS the game engines "thought process" into making it struggle with what we input as a user for control and then expect the cpu to do.

Im trying to REALLY capture a smooth experience by completely killing as much "middle man" code/calculating as possible.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters »