Home

Getting Lucky

This is a discussion on Getting Lucky within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Rookie

Shaka23's Arena

OVR: 3
Getting Lucky

Hey all,

I decided to create a thread dedicated to some of your luckiest moments in NFL Head Coach. It can be gameplay, strategy, drafting, etc.

The inspiration to do this came to me last night while playing a franchise with the Buffalo Bills. I feel I couldn't have gotten much luckier to be honest.

Following a frustrating 8-8 season using the Michigan Spread offense in went into the coaching hire phase with the mindset that I would never quit and restart(something I am ashamed to say I once did)... and so I dove into the process by letting go of my entire staff to build my own.

It started off terribly when there wasn't a single quality GM available. In hopes that someone would fire their GM in the postseason I decided to not hire one, a big risk. Then, somehow, I managed to land the Offensive Coordinator of all Offensive Coordinators for my philosophy... Gary Hammermill.

That lifted my spirits. Following Hammermill I was able to snag Mike Singletary as a DC, Staymates as a STC, Miraldi at QB, AJ Bishop at RB, Chad Merriam at WR, Bill Liveroni at OL, Tim Spangler at DL, Hardy Nickerson(bias) at LB and Chipper Duncan at CB... A pretty solid starting staff, especially with the OC I built my philosophy after.

That's when it happened... The giants fired Gary Mease and sent him to Buffalo. It was one of those moments that you feel it couldn't go any better haha. By waiting and not taking one of the 22OVR GM's I took a chance and cashed in on the Conference Championship fire.

Now I see myself with two of the best Coordinators in the game, a darn good GM and the prospect of throwing all over my competition.... all by luck pretty much.

Thanks Head Coach gods.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Getting Lucky

I got first round pick for Jason Taylor who was on injured reserve, getting old and in the last year of his contract!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Rookie

Conanbryan's Arena

OVR: 0

I played as the Denver Broncos and had Keith Rivers fall to me at the 12th selection. Then, in the same draft, had Kenny Phillips fall to me at the 33rd pick. Then it was just trying to find young talent in the draft.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 26

I managed to get both OC Mike Heimerdinger and LBC Gary Gibbs on my staff the first year. Both have good personalities and high ceilings on the developmental skills
Old 11-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Rookie

Shaka23's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler Dealer
I got first round pick for Jason Taylor who was on injured reserve, getting old and in the last year of his contract!
You have got to love the Computer transactions sometimes haha. Anytime you put a rental player on the block and someone offers a 2nd pick or more for him it's like a mini-christmas.

When the Dolphins gave me a 2nd round pick for Ryan Denney.. I laughed all the way to the bank.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

I had K. Alexis Serna in his RFA year. I really like his leg strength and accuracy and did not want to lose him. i put a level 3-first draft choice on him. Some team snapped him up and I got a #12 first rounder for him. Thank you very much.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by globespanner
I had K. Alexis Serna in his RFA year. I really like his leg strength and accuracy and did not want to lose him. i put a level 3-first draft choice on him. Some team snapped him up and I got a #12 first rounder for him. Thank you very much.
Now THAT is a steal, LOL! I'd love to have somebody give me a first for my kicker
Old 11-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

The Colts offered up the #2 pick in the draft for my backup QB. I was shocked. Granted, the QB was Jake Scott, and I just bought Motivator for my squad, so he maxed out at 98.

My starting QB was Jordan Taylor, who was an absolute beast at QB once I got Motivator. 99 SPD and AGI, 99 AWR, THP and THA. Pretty much 99's in everything. Plus a really high trucking ability too--high 90's. He was like English and Zazzali rolled into one. So, even though Scott was a beast too, he was in the last year of his deal, and I didn't have the cash to keep them both since I knew he'd want a max contract. Since my offense was a custom shotgun spread system with several QB runs, I decided to keep the mobile Taylor instead of the pocket-passing Scott.

I took the pick. Luckily Dungy had retired (another rarity in the game) and most of his staff was gone, so there was little to no chance of me running into them and the ugly Tampa 2 at some point. Since all my starters had OVR's in the mid-to-upper 90's and were locked up in long term deals (with plenty of cap room!), I didn't really need the #2 pick, so I parlayed that into several picks in the next 2 drafts, mainly to fill out the roster.

Oh, and Jake Scott? He's a backup for the Colts now, holding the clipboard behind Cooper Reno. Thanks, Indy.

I don't know what I was the most surprised about: That the Colts would trade the #2 pick for a backup QB, or that they would take that backup QB....and make him THEIR backup QB.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »