Home

Crossface - Chris Benoit Movie Announced

This is a discussion on Crossface - Chris Benoit Movie Announced within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Crossface - Chris Benoit Movie Announced

http://movies.ign.com/articles/121/1213908p1.html

Quote:
SRG Films has announced that they are adapting Matthew Randazzo's book Ring of Hell: The Story of Chris Benoit and the Fall of the Pro Wrestling Industry into a feature film titled Crossface.

Coming Soon posted a press release that describes Crossface as "a biographical thriller" that "delves into the pressures WWE superstar Chris Benoit faced throughout his wrestling career as the combination of drug-use, depression, and head trauma became increasingly impossible for him to handle. The true story made headline news in 2007 when Chris murdered his wife and young son before taking his own life."

The film's writer, Sarah Coulter, said: "People immediately point to steroids, never thinking about the brain trauma these wrestlers can, and do, incur in their profession, nor do they consider the rigorous schedule that keeps them working even when they shouldn t be. The Benoit story is one that needs to be brought into the light."

Producers are said to be out to directors and actors right now in the hopes of beginning production in late 2012.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Crossface - Chris Benoit Movie Announced

Will be checking for this.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Old 12-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
MVP

Ejfalcon9's Arena

OVR: 9

My only hope is that they don't give pro wrestling a bad name and portray Benoit as a monster. The movie just needs to tell the story that its not all fake fun and games and how pro wrestling can chew guys up and spit them out.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

I liked Benoit. Just hate how the WWE handled him after his death.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
MVP

Ejfalcon9's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
I liked Benoit. Just hate how the WWE handled him after his death.
Yeah same here. I never expected them to put him up on some pedestal with a HOF induction or DVDs because of the backlash the WWE would get ,but WWE should recognize he wasn't just a psychopathic killing machine and erase him from history to the point the blur out Benoit signs on DVDs and in the record books list stuff like Randy Orton beat N/A to win his first World Championship. Like the press release said people automatically point to steroids and not consider brain trauma. In Chris Jericho's newest book he talked about how the situation was such a shock because despite any family problems Benoit loved kids and wouldn't do anything to harm his own so there's no way it was just random roid rage that set him off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 16

Can't really blame the WWE. Let's face facts, Benoit MURDERED his family. Murder one, murder two...still a murderer. He killed is CHILD and WIFE. Simple as that.

Was he a great entertainer? Yes. But he became a murderer and the WWE had to address this. The last thing the WWE wanted to do was praise him. That would have been frowned upon. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but let's face reality in this situation from a WWE view.

And Pro Wrestling already has a bad name due to all the steroid use, etc. Not sure the movie could really "hurt" it anymore then it's already hurt itself. I would like to see them approach it as a great sport, but high stress / demands involved. I feel like I'm always trying to defend wrestling to others...these wrestlers, in my opinion, are pure athletes. But you can't hide the bad things that have happened or been done by wrestlers.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
MVP

Molarmite's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejfalcon9
My only hope is that they don't give pro wrestling a bad name and portray Benoit as a monster. The movie just needs to tell the story that its not all fake fun and games and how pro wrestling can chew guys up and spit them out.
I think the movie The Wrestler did a pretty good job of that.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547
Can't really blame the WWE. Let's face facts, Benoit MURDERED his family. Murder one, murder two...still a murderer. He killed is CHILD and WIFE. Simple as that.

Was he a great entertainer? Yes. But he became a murderer and the WWE had to address this. The last thing the WWE wanted to do was praise him. That would have been frowned upon. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but let's face reality in this situation from a WWE view.

And Pro Wrestling already has a bad name due to all the steroid use, etc. Not sure the movie could really "hurt" it anymore then it's already hurt itself. I would like to see them approach it as a great sport, but high stress / demands involved. I feel like I'm always trying to defend wrestling to others...these wrestlers, in my opinion, are pure athletes. But you can't hide the bad things that have happened or been done by wrestlers.
Good post, I liked Chris and appreciated his work in the business just like everyone else, but the WWE had no choice but to do what they've done with him. I remember everything about that day and the time following. Originally before the facts of the case came out, WWE did a tribute show for Chris, Vince ended his 'who killed Mr McMahon' angle to appear on said show and address the loss of Chris and when the details came out, the media absolutely crushed Vince and the E for doing the tribute show. They put the company through the ringer and you had people like Marc Mero and Chris Nowinski showing up on tv taking shots at the WWE and wrestling in general making the whole industry look bad.

The best and really only thing they could do was completely distance themselves from Benoit by doing exactly what they've done. It sucks, but it had to be done to keep the media off their backs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »