Home

How to move forward with carousel?

This is a discussion on How to move forward with carousel? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How to move forward with carousel?

I've posted in a few threads regarding my experience with coaching carousel and asking all of you for your combined experiences with it. Now I would like to see what your opinions would be for continuing an OD with the current broken coaching carousel.

For some insight, I was the OC for Ole Miss and led them to 2 NCs, 2 SECs, 1 Heisman, a dozen All-Americans, and an A coach prestige rating to then be forced into the FIU OC position after declining a contract renewal with Ole Miss and not receiving any offers better than the Ole Miss position I left. Another member of my OD coached SDSU as the OC to a top 5 ranking and won a Heisman with Ronnie Hillman to then be forced into a OC position with a 1 star program after not receiving any offers better than his previous SDSU position.

Read my options below and let me know what you would chose for how I should continue with my dynasty:

Option A - Accept the positions that we have received and hope for a better offer next season. This could potentially be a good move because many schools head coaches are now in the last year of their contract. Possible openings are Ohio State, Auburn, Florida, Texas, Florida State, and a few more. These coaches have failed some goals and have a job security under 35%. Given how the carousel has performed so far in our dynasty I'm fearful that I wont be offered any of these positions even with my stellar resume.

Option B - Leave and rejoin, creating new coaches taking our previous positions. I don't understand why the EA developers force a contract renewal to be declined to see what other offers are out there. In the coaching world, a successful coach is offered a renewal and still has time to look at other offers before deciding if he is going to leave for a new job or stay at his current position. If we go with this option then we can see what offers the carousel gives us after the 1st season with our new coaches but in our old position. If the carousel skips over us for candidates with less success then our comish can take control and we'll do our own carousel by leaving the dynasty and creating a coach at those programs that took the lesser candidates. We'll need to rebuild our coach prestige with this option but we'll at least be moving up the coaching ladder based upon the current successes and failures in our OD.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: How to move forward with carousel?

I posted a reply in your other thread but don't know if you saw it...

We went through the coaching carousel in my OD. Me and another user declined to accept new contracts from our current schools to see what offers we would receive. After finishing my 2 year contract at Ole Miss with an A prestige rating, 2 National Championships, 2 SEC titles, 1 Heisman, and a dozen All-Americans, I am now the OC of Florida Atlantic. How did this happen?

We only have 4 members in our OD. 2 guys have current contracts, then me (OLE MISS OC) and another user (SDSU OC) completed our contracts. I won the NC, he won a BCS bowl game and was ranked 2nd after the season with winning the Heisman Trophy for Ronnie Hillman. We both figured that our chances at a good OC position or HC position would be high so why stay at our current schools. We both received HC offers for 1 star schools and OC positions that were either equal to or worse than our previous OC positions. After going through the entire carousel we were forced to sign contracts at 1 star schools.

Now what do we do, stay under our new contracts and take the best possible job next season? Or since this seems unfair and unrealistic, can we leave the dynasty and be invited back to take our old jobs back after creating new coaches? There isnt a question of if our commish is okay with this cause it would be okay to do considering how unfair this system is, rather we're wondering if you can rejoin an OD after leaving?

I think the issue you are having is directly tied to your prestige. "A" rated prestige may seem good but just about every decent HC job or good OC job will sign an A+ prestige coach. This happens because coach progression is screwed up and tons of coordinators and HC's can reach A+ prestige rather easily. So with an A rated prestige there will be tons of A+ rated coaches the CPU views as more qualified and/or better than you.

So basically don't expect any good offers unless you have A+ prestige. Really concentrate on your goals to get to A+ prestige and better offers should start rolling in.

Also a general note it seems lower than A+ prestige coaches can resign(extend) with same team but will have difficulty getting new jobs.

Also it is difficult for a head coach of an elite program to find other good offers when they want to leave. I can't explain this one but this is just the way carousel works.

So if you choose option A your prestige will stay the same and will have a good chance to bump to A+ during the season if you meet goals and pull some upsets.

If you choose option B and create a new coach your prestige will be reset and you will have to build back up from D prestige. Thus eliminating yourself from consideration of any good jobs. You could choose option B and join as existing coach and you will take over whatever the current coaches prestige is.

If it were up to me I would play one season with the lower schools and try to build my prestige to A+and see what happens.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Rookie

Thank you gmmsports, I read your reply in the other thread and it makes a ton of sense. If prestige is the most important factor then that is going to be my goal. I should easily be able to bump up to an A+ with FAU. I'd also like to be set up against Florida or one of the teams with a coach on the hot seat in the final year of his contract so that I can try to pull an upset win. If all else fails with the coaching carousel after this season, maybe my OD will take control of coaching positions manually. It'd be a pain to do but I want my accomplishments to get me somewhere. It's not easy winning a NC in an OD or winning the Heisman when my player is competing with other users who are focused on getting their guy the Heisman.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 13

'12 is the first year that the carousel has been made, so I was pleased to see coaches in the game either getting praised, better positions, or getting fired. But thats just a start. We need to see this expanded more. Instead of waiting till the off-season and go through every single position that comes open in a single file order, how about depending on a coaches success or failures, such as a coach loses game after game that seat gets hot. Then there can be in the coaches section expected job openings or expected coaches to jump to a better postion depending on success. Player can also choose to apply in season for a job the following season if school has no intention of keeping him.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Rookie

There are a few things that I hope are changed.

1. Why is my prestige only an A after winning 2 NCs, a Heisman, 2 SEC champs, and exceeding nearly every goal. At the end of my contract I had only failed one goal which was having a 60% passing completion. I ended with a 56% completion percentage and that was with scrambling QBs. I was at an A+ prestige before they counted in me failing that goal. I even had boosts to my prestige from winning back to back national titles. I think the prestige caps out even with boosts so when I failed one goal it dropped me to an A prestige even though I earned bonus prestige points from other achievements. This needs to be fixed. I'd set the prestige grades to be based upon a point system with NO cap to what you can earn. This would account for extra credit points. If an A+ is say 100 points and my extra achievements put me up to 120 points, then failing one goal could maybe drop me to 105 points and still keep my A+ prestige. With the current system, the passer rating goal was more important than me exceeding expectations by winning 2 championships. In real life that would be laughable because at the end of your contract you'd be re-evaluated and goals would be dismissed based upon winning the most important goal which wasn't even in my contract to begin with.

2. If a HC has an extremely low job approval then fire him. In my dynasty the Ohio State HC has been at 6% approval for 2 seasons now and he probably wont lose his job until the end of his contract even though he's failed multiple major goals already. Fire him a year early if he deserves it.

3. This is important, allow coaches to receive multiple offers at once and keep the option to sign a new contract with their current team. I was offered a new contract as the OC for Ole Miss which I had just completed a 2 year contract with them as their OC. I had to decline their offer to see what other offers I'd receive and then I had to decline similar offers with the hope that I'd receive a better offer. Long story short, I'm now the OC at 1 star Florida Atlantic University in the Sun Belt conference after winning 2 SEC championships and 2 National Championships while breaking NCAA records with my offense. A coach with my resume would and should have the opportunity to view multiple contracts while keeping my option open to stay with my old school. Like I said, either allow us to receive multiple offers and make a decision on all of them or give us a feature where we can place our name on the open job market to find a specific job. Maybe you only want HC offers, how about search for them and put your resume out there. If you don't receive any or aren't offered a HC position that your interested in, then you stay put. In the real coaching world this is what happens and it should be reflected in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Rookie

Or as far as real life, if your coach is successful, then schools should contact you to coach their team. Example, OSU is losing most of their games for 2 years and they wanted to fire him. Your coach has won championships and looks good so that coach can be contacted for consideration.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
Rookie

SoxBrewersMarlins's Arena

im convinced the game takes play style into account with alma mater and prestige, if your A+ prestige and your alma mater is hiring you should get the job, you may want to save right after your bowl game though so yo ucan change playbooks right before the carousel. Heres the experience im basing this off, after 3 years as OC at army, florida HC job came open and was my alma mater, they didnt hire me til i changed my playbook to florida, latest dynasty, 3 years as DC at Utah, arkansas alma mater, Arkansas job came open for HC, i was running multiple d, they overlooked me, i reloaded and switched to 3-4, they hired me and a bunch of other high jobs that passed me also offered, so im almost certain now that teams take playbook into huge consideration, if you save after your bowl game, you can change playbooks yet, if you wait til after the nc game u cant, then just reload til u find the playbook that gets the job. its kind of annoying but it beats going through multiple dynasties or way beyond 3 years in with jobs you dont want.
Marlins.....Fear the Fish!!!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
Rookie

How about like in the real world we know who will be fired before the season is over because of how many games they have lost or failed to produce results. Instead of the straight line jobs that come in single file, how about schools ask coaches during the season if they are interested in a job for the following season.

Like in my dynasty, Florida wouldn't win but like 3 or 4 games a year. I knew the coach would be fired, but it took so long in off season for it to show up. A school like Florida should be looking around for a better coach before the season is ever over.

For a good point look at Urban Meyer who was take to OSU well before the season was over. Also as head coach should have the ability to hire and fire your own coordinators. Coordinators should also have an impact on the players ratings as these are the ones that are training them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »