Home

1-5-5 & 1-5-5 prowl

This is a discussion on 1-5-5 & 1-5-5 prowl within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
1-5-5 & 1-5-5 prowl

Please EA gt rid of these two defenses. I have never seen them in real life , maybe they are real but there is way they work as well as they do in the game or every school in the country would run them .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: 1-5-5 & 1-5-5 prowl

Don't pay attention to alot of college football, eh? Oregon, Cal, texas, etc all use the "Radar" defense in games. Yes, i do agree it needs to be tweaked in this game though.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

They can be burned fairly easily actually. If you use a 4WR set, a halfback to block, and put one of your inside WRs on a slant route, you'll have plenty of time to hit him. If your opponent presses the coverage, then just hit one of the outside receivers who will only have single coverage and should become wide open after getting past the press.

Screen passes/outside handoffs/options can work really well too. Occassionally the outside runs/options get wrapped up behind the line but often they'll break all the coverage for a TD.

Last edited by c2v24b; 02-03-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

The 1-5-5 actually refers to the single, or in some cases none, defensive players with their hands in the ground. Typically it's a nickel personnel set. The purpose of the "monster" or "psycho" front is to create a better pass rush by confusing the offensive linemen. You will often see seven or eight players on or near the LOS in a psycho front, most of them moving. However, at the snap of the ball most of those players will drop back into a zone. It is very useful in 3rd & Long situations, but that's really it. The psycho is a terrible defensive front against the run, and you will see many offenses audible to a QB Blast or Power when faced with this front, even in long yardage situations. During the Ohio State@Michigan game this year, Braxton Miller converted several 3rd downs against Michigan's defense using this strategy.

Unfortunately, EA's engine is not tuned to allow for real physics, making the 1-5-5 an actually viable defense on early downs. To combat people doing this, I would suggest running plays such as Power O and toss sweeps. Quick passes such as slants or screens will also be effective, but stay away from long pass plays and Play-Action.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

1-5-5 Prowl is actually my 3rd down defense. The only way you can have success in this defense is to have fast LBs and good cover guys. I got sacks from this formations. Since the 1 DL is never actually set on the line, only way you can get pressure is if you have a fast lb.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 12

i love this defense I've seen Rex ryan run variations of it in the NFL so i know it is used.
NHL- Carolina Hurricanes (Hartford Whalers)
NBA- New York Knicks
Old 02-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
MVP

Blitz1942's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenG
i love this defense I've seen Rex ryan run variations of it in the NFL so i know it is used.
Rex Ryan uses it quite a bit. I've seen the Steelers run it a bit. Dom Capers has a rather extensive "Pyscho" formation in his defensive playbook in Green Bay. A lot of the teams that use it are 3-4 teams.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk556
Please EA gt rid of these two defenses. I have never seen them in real life , maybe they are real but there is way they work as well as they do in the game or every school in the country would run them .
Get into practice mode or run it yourself for a while to learn how it works. There's nothing special about it. It's still just 11 defenders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »