Home

MLB 12 The Show - Vita Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show - Vita Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Flightwhite24's Arena

OVR: 34

Ok just played 3 quick innings and I mean QUICK. Right off the bat the gameplay is fast and thats a good thing considering it is gonna be on a handheld. Hardly no cutscenes, I couldn't take a practice swing for some reason and maybe its not in.

I gotta say I was disappointed in the graphics and before some of you flip out, if you played the PS3 version of this year you would understand. Graphically the game is fine. I do like how the ball looks bigger in play because my old eyes even with my glasses need it to be bigger.

Pulse Pitching was kinda tough due to the left stick being much smaller so it wiggles a lot but as the game went on I made adjustments.

Also I had no problem fielding whatsoever everything felt fine, hell I might even field better on the Vita than the PS3.

Had no problem at the plate either making contact. Did go deep with M. Kemp from the Dodgers.

Overall this is gonna be HUGE for the "Franchise Guys" and for those who are impatient due to the game plays twice the speed of the PS3 version from what I can tell unless I am doing something wrong in the settings.

It feels really good being able to play The Show on my Vita and watch UFC on my 50 inch Plasma at the same time.

SCEA hit it out the park with this one

You mofos who don't have the game already make sure you spend some quality time with you family/girlfriends because come Mar 6th they might leave your CUSS WORD!!! because of this Masterpiece..

Last edited by Flightwhite24; 03-02-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

This thread is for IMPRESSIONS ONLY - posts that are NOT impressions will be deleted. If you continue to spam the thread with non-impressions, infractions will be handed out.

The only posters that have shown proof of the game are as follows:

pboreham
FLIGHTWHITE
thx1113

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!

Last edited by RGmoney; 03-03-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodperezto
That baseball is bigger than second base!
Yep, tried with a proportionally sized ball early on in cycle, and it is nearly impossible to see in most fielding views on this size screen. Trust me...it may not be ideal, but the alternative is just NOT fun.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Flightwhite24's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: MLB 12 The Show - Vita Impressions Thread

I've messed around with a few camera angles and the game looks fine. Just don't go in expecting PS3 The Show 12 graphics.

I have noticed that the Pulse Pitching might need a little tweaking as its not as responsive as the PS3 version. Seems a little laggy.

Can someone tell me how to post some pics and I will show what I am seeing for comparison
Old 03-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Pardon me for posting in here; just helping out FLIGHTWHITE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTWHITE
I've messed around with a few camera angles and the game looks fine. Just don't go in expecting PS3 The Show 12 graphics.

I have noticed that the Pulse Pitching might need a little tweaking as its not as responsive as the PS3 version. Seems a little laggy.

Can someone tell me how to post some pics and I will show what I am seeing for comparison
To snap a screenshot, hold onto the PS button and Start on your Vita at the same time. These will now be saves in your Photos section of your Vita, so you can use Content Manager to transfer to PC or the Flickr app on your Vita to upload them that way.

EDIT: FLIGHTWHITE just sent me three photos via Vita. I'm uploading them for him.

For anyone who's concerned, these screenshots look "warmer" on the Vita than they do in these shots, which are too "cool" for my taste.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 03-04-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Cool. Ok, I think I got off on the wrong footing on OS!

Sorry for the panic caused, but as I said in the other thread, these are accurate shots and sometimes the game looks good/ok other times it looks like a poor PSP game. Thats not me trying to flame etc, its my honest opinion from having the game and if people dont like what I've posted and calling me a liar etc, then I dont mind - they will find out Tuesday I guess.

But graphics dont totally make the whole game, so here are some other thoughts and I'll try to post some positives - because there are many amongst the problems.

Firstly, patch out already (1.01) which contains minor fixes what I could see - but one was "increase crowd reactions" which is really needed.

Menu UI is pretty slick and easy to follow. Touch screen options all the way and thankfully just as easy to use dpad/buttons if you want. Music is down to personal taste, but I like most of it.

Tonne of options as you'd expect from a show game. Gameplay options, sliders, different control methods and option to create player etc. Not really gone too deep into much of that.

Start an exhibition game and on the next screen you can choose single player or the "Play Now Live" mode which will drop you into an exhibition game online. Thats what the manual says, I've not got online yet as my code doesnt work.

Usual commentary line up in the game. Dunno if its just me, but the commentary sounds very tinny and distant. Will try the game through headphones later as it may just be the Vita speakers.

Front end presentation is ok with the team line ups and fly by etc - all nicely done. Shame that the rest of the 'tv' style presentation is missing

As you've seen from the shots I've posted, its a mixed bag. Sometimes it looks really fine, other times its a jarring mess. Plus there is definitely slow down in places which thankfully doesnt really affect the gameplay, its mainly in close ups.

The UI in the pause menu is nice and again, intuitive to use. There is also a 'quick menu' (dpad up) when you are on the mound to make fielding switches, mound visits, bullpen options etc.

I've tried a few gameplay control methods. Analog pitching felt ok, down on the right stick to wind up, up and in a direction to pitch. Bit hard with the little sticks at times. I've tried the standard meter method and the new pulse method (which I've stuck with). Not tried analog hitting yet though.

The pitching/batting duel is good. I'm not a MASSIVE expert on baseball, so maybe some of the intricate details are not quite what the should be, but from what I know, it seems to be fine and its as fun as the other Show games on PS3.

Hit the ball in the field and you notice the beachball sized ball. Not sure whats going on with that - whether its a bug or not, not sure. When handled, the ball defaults to its normal size.

Players are responsive in the field and diving, throwing etc is all good. Seen lots of fumbles, overthrows etc - and my 2nd baseman got totally taken out by a runner when going for a double play. Left him splattered on the ground

As I've said, worst thing for me really is the lack of presentation. Devs say they have this running in quick mode only (to save battery life I heard?) but I'd want that to be my choice. There are NO auto replays or cut scenes etc which is pretty horrible.

Make a nice double play? Nothing, just the next pitch... hit one out of the park bases loaded? Nothing, barely a cheer and certainly no fanfare from the broadcast - just back to the next batter up. Its really horrible and takes a lot away from the experience.

One of the things I like is the ability to save mid match - thats good for having a quick go and picking it up later.

Overall, I do like it (but then I wanted to so much) - its probably a 7.5/10 for me right now.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Rookie

thx1113's Arena

(Hope this is ok - posted proof of ownership in the "Anyone from Europe thread")

First impressions - graphics are ok; certainly fine when concentrating on playing the game rather than studying them intently. Pulse pitching is not easy! I've not got the timing down yet - the pulse is quick, even on rookie!

Only done some practice sessions so far; just about to start an exhibition game. and will post again once I've played that - Boston vs Giants at AT&T park, I think.

And, like everyone else in Europe, I'm not convinced that the cross-platform save is going to work for us
Old 03-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
Rookie

thx1113's Arena

OK, first exhibition match out of the way. Boston (me) at San Francisco.

I lost. No surprise there, but only by one run. The game was great, and I'm getting in to pulse pitching now - it rocks. Managed to pitch pretty well other than one stray ball to a pinch hitter that left the park for the go ahead runs...

However, I suck at analog batting on the Vita. I probably need to just get used to it, and the new feedback on your stride timing is really helpful, but I ended up reverting to timing only batting, which I also suck at

The Vita quick-play mode is a little, um, quick, and I'd have liked to see at least a few replays (home run for example), but it moves the game along nicely and I understand why they've done it.

As I said before, the graphics, to me, are fine. The lighting is good, and it really does give that PS3 'feel' as you're playing. Obviously it's not as detailed (and I've not yet played the new version on my PS3), but I have no complaints.

One thing I've not seen how to do, so maybe it's not there on the Vita, is to choose your swing type - power, contact, normal - there just doesn't seem to be the option for it.

Thumbs up from me. If only I could hit...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »