Home

Retired Players Project

This is a discussion on Retired Players Project within the MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27
Retired Players Project

Project Objective
To facilitate historic roster creation through an established and consistent process, so that classic rosters can be made more easily.

Process
The core of the project will be a two step process: 1. Scouting Players, and 2. Creating Players. The final step will be assembling the created players onto final rosters. The first two steps allow for flexibility and ease in creating final rosters.

Players can be scouted or created by anyone who wants to contribute. Player attributes must be rated based on their entire career using the traditional 2-8 scale, and a database of these players will be kept. That database of scouting information will then be converted into attribute numbers so that those players can be created in the game. A second database will keep track of which players have been created, so that those players can easily be downloaded and put onto rosters. These created players can then be adjusted if needed, depending on the roster being made.

Step One: Scouting Players
Before you scout a player check the database to see if that player has already been scouted:

Database of Scouted Players

Then download the scouting card and fill it out, up to five players at a time, rating player attributes using the 2-8 scale:

8 = Outstanding
7 = Well above average
6 = Above average
5 = Average
4 = Below average
3 = Well below average
2 = Poor

A good way to use the scale is to start with a rating of 5 and then look for some indication that the rating should be higher or lower, leaving the highest and lowest score for players who are truly deserving of it.

A few scouting tools:

Baseball Reference
Fangraphs
The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract
The Neyer/James Guide to Pitchers

For a player's age use the age he was when he had his best year or was in his prime.

Here is an example of a card already filled out.

Send the completed card to me and I will add the players to the database: [email protected]

If you find an error in the database or feel a player has been scouted inaccurately, contact me with the changes you think need to be made along with evidence to support your case.

Step Two: Creating Players
Once enough players have been scouted I will convert the scouting information into attribute numbers, so that the players can then be created in the game. I'll also keep a database of which players have been created, so they can easily be downloaded and put onto final rosters.

Player creation tools:

Google Image Search- For appearance, pitching styles, and batting stances.
Youtube- For appearance, pitching styles, and batting stances.

Appearance Guide- This chart shows the main items to focus on when creating a player's face and accessories. Items not shown deal with small details that can be left at default without any detriment to the overall appearance.
MLB 12 pitching styles- A spreadsheet for filtering pitching styles, to help you find the right wind up and motion a lot faster than scrolling through every one within the game.

Links to final rosters
(forthcoming, once players are created and put onto rosters)

Last edited by spit_bubble; 03-30-2012 at 03:34 AM. Reason: added player creation tools
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Rookie

SupremeYankee's Arena

OVR: 7
Ill scout some tomorrow. Itll give me a chance to get more familiar with the above sites and how to convert stats to accurate attributes. Ill submit for review when done.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Pr*

Joey's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Retired Players Project

Looks like you've given a lot of thought in setting this up - if this takes off it could be very beneficial to all of us. I'm going to look into it a bit more when I get a chance and see if I can contribute some.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm not good at making players or anything so I was wondering if someone could create David Justice and add him to the player vault for download please..
Old 03-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeYankee
Ill scout some tomorrow. Itll give me a chance to get more familiar with the above sites and how to convert stats to accurate attributes. Ill submit for review when done.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
I should note, I'm not going to be reviewing submitted cards with a fine tooth comb. I'm just going to trust that scouts will do the best job they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey
Looks like you've given a lot of thought in setting this up - if this takes off it could be very beneficial to all of us. I'm going to look into it a bit more when I get a chance and see if I can contribute some.
Yeah the whole idea is to sort of set up a well for people to draw from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkplace5
I'm not good at making players or anything so I was wondering if someone could create David Justice and add him to the player vault for download please..
Might wanna try this thread instead:

Looking for legends?

Requests for created players isn't really what this thread is about.

edit: At least for now that isn't what this thread is about. In other words it's going to be a while before this tree bears any fruit.

Last edited by spit_bubble; 03-27-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: correction
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Thanks for the help in getting me to the right thread!! Good Luck with whatever you guys are getting into in the future!!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Pro

metsfan4life1's Arena

OVR: 10

I can do some mets all time greats.. Fonzi, Mikey, The kid, Straw, Doctor K, Tom terrific, Hojo, Mookie, Leiter, Bentiez, Huddley, Pedro, Olerud, Rey O, Robie V, Kooz, And much more and other MLB players, too.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
NBA 2K Production Assistant

bedwardsroy19's Arena

OVR: 37

In all honesty, the most helpful thing that people could do from my perspective is do some research from the Neyer/James guide to pitchers and post some of the greats pitch types and at least their fastball speed when given.

I have the book but it would be an amazing time saver for the editor if the info was easy to access. It adds a ton of time in the editing process to have to go through the book to find them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters »