Home

In this thread, I talk about colors/lighting...

This is a discussion on In this thread, I talk about colors/lighting... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9
In this thread, I talk about colors/lighting...

EDIT: It looks like the issue may be the HDR lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
Honest question.

Which screenshot looks more like Clemson to you?

NCAA 11

NCAA 12

I've noticed while playing NCAA that sometimes the colors look very washed out. They don't pop out or have the rich quality that they should have. Granted, you can google a team and have the colors of their unis look diff in each pic depending on who is taking the picture (and if they did color correction), what time of the day it is, and the sunlight/stadium lights, but I think NCAA sometimes misses the mark completely on giving a true to life view of a teams unis.

The screenshots that NCAA has released the past few years (which is suppose to be the best possible image the game can give) have just seemed off at times. And what's worse is the actual game doesn't hardly ever look as good as the screenshots, which means the washed out look of some unis/colors becomes worse.

Clemson's unis are a lot closer to red than they usually appear on the game, especially the helmet.

Just an example of what I mean by white washed. The colors look to be right, but it's something happening that makes the colors look dull.

I've noticed it for awhile with FSU, especially since I play alot of games with the Noles.

I love the color of Bamas unis when I watch them on TV. But I always hate them on NCAA.

Oranges look different, blue isn't as bright.

Another instance where the unis look diff depending on the picture, but when I watch games in HD on tv, their unis look look diff than what's pictured on the left.

This could just be because of the sun shining down. But I couldn't find a pic that looked like the right.

Yellows look drastically different on the pants. Gold usually struggles to look like gold on NCAA.

I think the worse example of them all is for the Vols. The Vols color in real life is very rich and bright, but on NCAA it almost always looks peach.

Sometimes, the real life angle and exposure matches perfectly, so it's not all bad news.

I've seen other games (not just sports, but games in general like Uncharted) have extremely colorful set pieces and costumes, so I know unis can be done. They've made good strides with the lighting, I just hope it's a yearly thing they work on, unlike some of the other features they have introduced but never improved on.

Thoughts?

Last edited by DorianDonP; 07-05-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Pro

Sparkles's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: In this thread, I talk about colors/lighting...

this bugged me with clemson last year with their orange pants with orange top. the orange was just so dull and not... well orange. i keep looking at the game with auburn vs clemson and there is a HUGE difference between the video game and the real thing. it sucks and not realistic. this is my only complaint so far this year involving 13
NHL New Jersey Devils
EPL Manchester United
NCAA FB Pittsburgh Panthers
NCAA BB Pittsburgh Panthers
Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
MVP

CT Pitbull's Arena

OVR: 9

i think you have a great point here my friend i have also noticed the washed out look with the colors not only on the unis but overall.(grass stadiums fans etcetc).maddens colors seem to pop a little better and i wish they would use the same color sceme for the ncaa series it would definitely look a whole hell of a lot better ...your right on point with this thread my man i just hope the powers that be are watching maybe you should send this to them via the ea website or some other source because id love to see this change we are not the only ones who have noticed this and who knows maybe its not too late for them to tweak it for this years game
Old 04-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Good work on putting this thread together with the reference pics and everything. The washed out colors are definitely an annoyance of mine as well. Although, looking on the bright side, at least the colors aren't as bad as MLB 2K12.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 04-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26

+100 to this thread. I've specifically pointed this out in regards to Bama's uniforms going back to NCAA 10, and there is a problem with other teams as well. Alabama's stick out to me the most because it's not even close to the correct color. Alabama looks more like Texas A&M and Mississippi State colorwise in NCAA, when in real life, Bama's colors are not even close to either. Here's a picture I took from NCAA 11 showing Bama and Miss State side by side:

Now here's a picture showing how Alabama's jerseys actually look:

Unfortunately all my posts for the past two years on this issue have fallen on deaf ears. I even had a conversation with one of the Devs from the NCAA team about this after NCAA 10 came out and even after providing pictures to show how wrong the colors are, this particular Dev told me he saw nothing wrong with the way the colors are represented in the game. That blew my mind. You can't ignore factual evidence like the kind that has been provided in this thread and there have been other threads detailing this problem as well. It needs to be fixed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11

You would think they would be able to get the "Crimson Tide" correct.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
MVP

mm boost's Arena

OVR: 12

I think we need to look no further than Madden 12. EA nailed authenticity of colors on Madden 12 (for the most part), as the colors no longer look faded and washed out - they POPPED! I absolutely love what they did with the visuals of madden. I wished they could take the textures, colors, and overall visual polish from madden and combine it with NCAA. We would have a home run in the presentation department!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
Rookie

NikeBlitz's Arena

OVR: 6

It's really shocking for Clemson and Bama', Colors jerseys are not just faded out but completely wrong.

The Washed out colors need to go. Every time i play in Longhorns Home, i feel like in the mid 80's. Madden doesn't have this problem, it shouldn't be that hard to change the saturation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »