Home

Coaches Corner

This is a discussion on Coaches Corner within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Coaches Corner

I thought it would be cool to start a threat where people can discuss different topics such as talk about they're current careers, player potentials, questions that need some answers. This would be the go to place where veterans can help people out. I just thought it might generate some activity on here.

I will start by saying that I have recently started a new career with my favorite team the packers. I did this because I realized that I have never achieved the "100 wins with a created coach" achievement and I thought why not attempt this with my favorite team. I will post a more detailed summary of how my career is going in the "How is your current career doing" thread. But what I will say is that I started my career with the Guru personality. I choose this because I felt like this suits me well as who I would most likely be as a coach. For philophy I started with a simple west coast offense style but have developed into a vertical pass offense and I've had much more success with it. On defense I run a 3-4 defense that is in between what Dick Labeau and Dom Capers run but more Dick labeau bc I run a lot of zone blitzes. I created both of my playbooks before I started my career. Also because I converted the defense to a 3-4 I started back in the offseason. I ended up going into the Zazzali draft path who the raiders ended up getting and he completely changed the team around. I finished my first two seasons both at 9-7 making the playoffs during season 1 and missing during season 2. However and funny thing is I won the super bowl the same year that the Packers did. My third season I went 14-2 and won coach of the year. I wen't on a 13 game win streak after losing the opener to the Cowboys. I then beat the Cowboys in the NFC championship game and then beat the Colts in the super bowl. Another funny thing about winning the super bowl is that I had injuries all over the place, just like the packers did in reality. My team some how found a way to get through them though and I was able to keep winning. I'm not at the beginning of my fourth year. I'm looking to let Andre Woodson go this year bc I won't be able to afford him plus everyone else, and he also pisses me off with his inability to be consistent and poor awareness.

Last edited by packerfan28; 06-27-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Coaches Corner

I realized yesterday in my career that I haven't had a single game changer occur for me so far and I'm going into my fourth year. I'm surprised because in my Bills career I remember I was having 1-2 every season, I think I had like 7-8 that I can remember. Most of them were player potentials improved, or certain players learned more of the playbook. I was wondering what are some cool game changers that you guys have experienced in your careers?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Rookie

One thing I've always wondered was what the little symbols next to the players pictures under the roster screen are. Like it will show something red with IR in it meaning they are on injured reserve. Sometimes a little thing like a water drop of some sort appears. I always figured it men't they were on a cold streak or something. Does anyone know what all the symbols are that appear?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
Rookie

Shaka23's Arena

OVR: 3

In my careers the Game Changers have varied. Sometimes I get something once or twice a year and other times it has taken 4 years before I get one and even then it's like "insider info" on a terrible draft prospect haha.

I wish I got as lucky as the Patriots have had in so many of my dynasties, always getting the cap penalty release. That'd be nice every now and then, especially with those darned Raiders.

As for the symbols... The water drop is in fact a sign of a cold streak or in many ways a lack of production. They'll likely be the ones the game asks if you want to replace in the lineup. The crutch at times has meant an injury... DESPITE a player not being injured in the Injuries Section... and at other times that they are simply fragile.

For instance... Simeon Rice always has the crutch(as does LaVar Arrington) and yet my luck with him has varied. Most times neither player has seen the field despite my bias and wish for them to return to form. One time Rice recorded 12 sacks on my simulated season as a starter. It seems it varies.

Good thread idea.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:49 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

When i get Game Changers, it's usually one of these three:

Clear my cap penalty

one of my players takes off for a vacation with his grilfriend

Playbook knowledge increase.

That's pretty much all I ever really get.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2012, 03:33 AM   #6
Nev
Rookie

Nev's Arena

OVR: 3

The only game changer I have had is my coaches get some skill points. Didn't notice the increase though.

Before I started my season with Dallas, I went into player management and replaced all the good players with the worst free agent for that position. I kept hold of Romo, Ware and T.O though just so I could win a few games to avoid getting sacked.

I run the Steelers Smashmouth and Raiders Rover books. The 'Middle Blitz' from the Raiders book is shut down material. I finished 6-10.

In the off-season the I signed Rob Ryan as DC, John Harbaugh as STC and Jim Caldwell as QBC.

I don't usually sign the big free agents but Ravens had cleaned house by releasing Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs... Had sign Ray. 2 years - $19m

I had the 14th pick in the Rambis/Sweetney draft. Throughout the season I had fell in love with WR Jamaar Kidd. The way Schefter talked about him, I had to have him. Traded up from 15 to 5 and drafted him. He is not producing though so far, 4 pre-season games and 2 regular season and he has caught 4 balls.

EDIT: I just got a game changer in pre-season. "Unexpected Injury: Marc Colombo has cut his hand trying to open NFL Head Coach 09 off the field" lol

Last edited by Nev; 06-28-2012 at 07:14 AM. Reason: New Info
Old 06-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaka23
In my careers the Game Changers have varied. Sometimes I get something once or twice a year and other times it has taken 4 years before I get one and even then it's like "insider info" on a terrible draft prospect haha.

I wish I got as lucky as the Patriots have had in so many of my dynasties, always getting the cap penalty release. That'd be nice every now and then, especially with those darned Raiders.

As for the symbols... The water drop is in fact a sign of a cold streak or in many ways a lack of production. They'll likely be the ones the game asks if you want to replace in the lineup. The crutch at times has meant an injury... DESPITE a player not being injured in the Injuries Section... and at other times that they are simply fragile.

For instance... Simeon Rice always has the crutch(as does LaVar Arrington) and yet my luck with him has varied. Most times neither player has seen the field despite my bias and wish for them to return to form. One time Rice recorded 12 sacks on my simulated season as a starter. It seems it varies.

Good thread idea.
I always see on the bottom of the screen teams getting that game changer where it says the NFL has made an accounting error and the teams salary cap penalties has ben reset. I'm like damn I wan't that. I always end up in 8-10 million in cap penalties because of my GM wanting me to cut dead weight.

I feel like half of my defensive players have that water drop thing, even when they are having good seasons. Maybe its because I run a 3-4 and my defensive line doesn't really record good stats because they are to busy blocking. idk.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 7

I'm pretty sure the water-drop is for fatigue (i.e. sweat). You'll see it after some practices and games, but it goes away. I don't think it has anything to do with cold streaks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »