Home

I need help with 2K12 - BAD

This is a discussion on I need help with 2K12 - BAD within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 11
I need help with 2K12 - BAD

I just got 2K12 earlier this week, and I'm trying to run an Association, but I desperately need help.

I can't win. Like seriously, it's impossible for me to win.

I don't know if there are some major changes from 2K10 and 2K11 that I'm unaware of - I'm certainly no 2K noob. I wouldn't call myself the best 2K player, but I think I know what I'm doing, at least against the CPU.

But on my Association, I'm running it on All-Star difficulty, Simulation settings. It doesn't matter the opponent, the deficit always inflates to 20+ within the first half as my offense just absolutely stalls midway through the 1st quarter. I try to run plays, sometimes I try to just go freestyle and see what opens up, and nothing gets open. I turn the ball over constantly - off of simple stuff, my PG bouncing the ball off his foot bringing it up court, routine passes getting picked off by the defense, I can post up Dwight Howard in a mismatch against a guard and lose that battle, my wide open shots don't fall. I've won 1 game in Association, in overtime against the Wizards. In all, I've only won 2 games period in this year's version of the game. I go into practice mode and run a scrimmage, and I lose to the B squad...

I'm struggling and I don't know what's left to do. I don't want to give up on the game, but it's getting frustrating watching as I turn the ball over 15 times a game, while the CPU maybe turns it over 3 times, or watching as my wide open, A quality shots with perfect releases brick off the rim, while the CPU hits fadeaways from the 3 point arc while falling out of bounds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: I need help with 2K12 - BAD

that's just how 2k12 works bruh on all star. it's even worser on hall of fame. you just have to grind it out. find the right sliders on here use paul pierce rosters that should help some what.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
Rookie

Have faith in God and I am very sure that god will gonna help you!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

You have two options sir:

1. Swallow your pride and lower the difficulty. Pro will give you some good games and it'll allow you to get used to the new game.

2. Find some sliders that will work for you. The problem is that if you're struggling on default All Star the sliders that'll work for you will probably have the AI playing like Pro anyway.

I was getting so many good games at Pro (slider adjustments) that I forgot I was playing on Pro. I eventually have moved up to All Star to see if I can capture the same type of games.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by juandalen
Have faith in God and I am very sure that god will gonna help you!!!
In addition to this, I'd also suggest becoming accustomed with icon passing (if you haven't already). This allows you perform lead passes, which in turn will help you create space for your pass recipient, thus cutting down on the turnovers.

As others mentioned, I'd also definitely recommend dropping down to pro. Prior to 2K12, I'd been playing on all-star for every iteration of 2K I could remember. For some reason though, Pro felt like the new all-star to me. I'm to the point where I could probably bump up to all-star now, but I'm still having a significant amount of fun on pro, so that's where I'm chilling for now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
Rookie

If you're playing with the Magic, adjust your defensive settings. Van Gundy's coaching profile isn't really high on the pressure. So the CPU will kill you on wide open 3 pointers all day. Don't play up on defenders, they will drive past you. Shade your on-the-ball defender to where you have help behind you if they should drive. If you have issues with on-the-ball d, play someone off the ball. Turn clutch factor off, game option and sliders.

Offense, set up the offense a little further away from the 3 point line. You need to create space. Learn how to influence shots close to the rim. Don't lead up with your right hand on the left hand side of the basket. Don't post up in the low block. Post higher up creating almost a diagnol line to the basket. This gives you more space to put together moves. Don't go straight up with the ball, use a pump fake. Don't drive with three defenders in the paint. Drive the baseline, once again, there's more space than if you drive from atop the key.

If the CPU goes on a run of 6, call time out. Get new people in. Don't stick with the same line up coming out of a time out. Make defensive adjustments. And d-up QRich on any wing player killing you at the moment.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I'd also suggest not gambling on defense. Many times in the past I've been guilty of getting lucky and picking an opponent's pocket. That success then makes me want to jump passing lanes and attempt to poke the rock away from the opposing point guard while they set up at the top of the key. These gambles in turn open up many opportunities for the computer to create and score.

In contrast, I've often found playing good, solid, straight up defense is often rewarding in 2K12, leading to tough shots at the end of the shot clock and possible transition opportunities at the other end as a result.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 11

Nothing has helped, if anything, it's getting worse.

I followed much of the advice given in this thread, I've gone on YouTube to look at tutorials, tried to lab in practice mode, studied my players to find out what their strengths and weaknesses are offensively, and none of it is working. Even if I manage to keep the game close for a period of time, there is an inevitable point in the game where everything just falls apart, any pass I try to make gets turned over, any shot I try to make is a miss, or blocked, and the CPU swells a lead to 15-20 points, and of course I can never recover. I have had shooting at low as 30% as a team. For ****s and giggles, I went into practice mode with the difficulty lowered to Pro, and still nothing. The B-squad of Orlando's backups swelled their lead, and I still couldn't get shots to fall.

I cannot drive to the basket. Anything I do with isomotion ends up with, best case scenario, my players just get pushed off their drive, and I have to just give it up and reset up the offense. Worst case scenario, the ball dribbles off my foot or I fall out of bounds. In previous games, I was able to use iso-motion to get my guys open looks or get them to the basket. Now, trying to drive is just pointless. Anytime I get an open lane for Dwight Howard driving to the basket, the pass is stolen and turned over. I can kind of work him in the post, but nowhere near as effectively as I've been able to in past games.

I just don't get it. I'll be the first to admit I've never been the world's greatest NBA 2K player, but I've never been this bad. 2K10, I ran a pretty damned good Orlando squad, and was probably my best year, even able to pick up victories online which I'm typically not great at. 2K11 I didn't play much, but what little bit I did, I could at least win games. But 2K12, I literally cannot win a game. In my entire time playing 2K12, I have won 2 games - one was an exhibition game to test out the difficulty setting - All-Star - and I beat the CPU by like 24. In Association mode, I got one win against Washington, that I had to go into overtime to get. Outside of those 2 games, I have lost every single game that I have played, and even going into practice mode on Pro against backups resulted in what would have been a loss if it were a real game. It's ruining my Association mode.

It's not so much that the CPU is too good, it's that something on my end is completely incompetent. I have enough experience and success with 2K12 throughout it's history that I don't think it's just all me as a player.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »