Home

Introducing NBA Stats Tracker, a basketball statistical analysis tool

This is a discussion on Introducing NBA Stats Tracker, a basketball statistical analysis tool within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer

OVR: 13
Introducing NBA Stats Tracker, a basketball statistical analysis tool

NBA Stats Tracker
Official NLSC Page

Hello everyone, this is Leftos. Some of you may know me from the NLSC forums, some of you may know me from here, some may not know me at all. Anyway! Here's the thing. Since January, I've been working hard at providing the NBA 2K community with tools that will make their gaming and modding experience better. Those tools include:
  • Keep My Mod, which allows you to circumvent NBA 2K12's forceful mod override for whatever 2K has updated via the Online Data updates
  • Miracle My Jersey/Stadium, which allows you to easily change the lighting/shadowing values of Jerseys and Arenas
  • Global Editor, which provides you with 25 different lighting values you can change in global.iff and was the catalyst for this year's frenzy of Shadow Mods
  • Roster Merge, which allows you to combine 2 or more rosters to get the best out of them
  • Schedule Randomizer, which allows you to create a new Association schedule if you're tired of playing the same Season 1 over and over everytime a new roster comes out
But my big achievement is the tool that would grow to become my thesis for my engineering diploma. A full-fledged basketball statistical analysis tool, NBA Stats Tracker.

It began as a workaround for the bugged team stats in NBA 2K12, but as I had access to the Team Stats anyway, I started doing some basic analysis on them, and with other users' suggestions, it hit me that I should blow that s**t up and make something big out of it.

And here we are, with NBA Stats Tracker in it's current form, a tool that will help you keep track of your favorite basketball league. Whether it's real or an NBA 2K12 one, whether it's your college's league or a friendly tournament in your street, NBA Stats Tracker can handle it.

List of Features
  • Team Overview
    • Overview
      • The Overview Tab offers you just that, a quick overview over each team's stats, averages, and rankings during the season and playoffs. You can edit and save each team's stats from this tab.
    • Split Stats
      • Analysis on how the team is doing when playing at home and away, through wins and losses, during the seasons and the playoffs, as well as a monthly breakdown.
    • Player Stats
      • A list of each team's players with their averages and total stats. You can quickly edit the player stats from this tab.
    • Metric Stats
      • Advanced player statistics that take into account multiple factors of the player, team and league performance.
    • Best Performers
      • The best players of each team with a summary of their most significant stats.
    • Recommended Starters
      • Find out which starting 5, with which players in which position, would maximize your team's performance.
    • Box Scores
      • A list of each team's games, with easy access to the Box Score window, which allows you to view the full team and player stats, as well as edit them.
    • Head-To-Head
      • Compare each team's averages to another team's; either against the league or each other; view the box scores of the games between the two teams.
    • Head-To-Head Best Performers
      • Compare the best guard, forward and center of two teams; get a quick overview of the important matchups.
    • Yearly Report
      • See the averages of the team each season, as well as its total averages for all seasons.
  • Player Overview
    • Overview
      • View a player's stats, averages and rank of each average against the league, teammates and players of the same position. Change their name, position, team, injury status, as well as whether their in the season's all-stars, or the championship team.
    • Split Stats
      • Similar to the team split stats, with the addition of stats split between the teams the player has played for in the timeframe; if the player was traded, you'll see stats before and after each trade.
    • Box Scores
      • A list of games the player has been recorded in, with their stats and shooting percentages.
    • Best Performances
      • A quick look at the player's best performances during the season or a timeframe of your choice.
    • Head-To-Head
      • Compare any two players stats and averages, either in games against the league, or each other's teams.
    • Yearly Report
      • See a player's progress over each season, as well as their career averages.
    • Advanced Player Search
      • Search among all the players in any season by setting whatever criteria you want, such as position, total stats, average stats, team, PER, etc.
      • When doing an advanced search, the players are sorted by each filter you use, by taking Metrics filters into account first, then Averages, then Totals.
  • League Overview
    • Team Stats
      • All the teams, all the averages, all of the regular season.
    • Playoff Stats
      • Similar to the team stats, but with playoff averages.
    • Team Metric Stats
      • Advanced team statistics that take into account multiple factors of the team's performance, as well as of its opponents and the league.
    • League Leaders
      • The league's leading players in each average, taking into account the NBA's rule for league leaders eligibility.
    • Player Stats
      • All the players, all stats and averages, no restrictions applied.
    • Metric Stats
      • Advanced player statistics that take into account multiple factors of the player, team and league performance.
    • Best Performers
      • The best players of the whole league with a summary of their most significant stats.
    • Best Starting 5
      • The best combination of players from all over the league for a starting five.
    • Box Scores
      • Every box score saved in the specific timeframe.
  • Box Scores
    • Box Scores include Team Stats, Player Stats (simple & metric) as well as a Best Performers tab, which shows you the best players of the game from both teams.
  • Live Box Scores
    • Besides being able to input the box scores after the fact, you can easily keep track of a game that you're watching using Live Box Score. Every important stat has up and down arrows which allow you to easily add a 3PT to a specific player, an offensive rebound, or whatever else is happening.
NBA 2K12 Features

This tool was originally made to offer a temporary workaround to the Association/ Season/My Player/Create A Legend team stats bug. Any game you entered and played would have the team stats of the teams that played in it all wrong afterwards. For example 85BPG, 92APG, 70RPG, etc. This really ruined the immersion the Association offers for those that like to play or even watch the games, instead of just simulating them from the Calendar. The Team Stats screen was wrong, the in-game overlays about the team were wrong. A mess. Even after the first console patches, 2K still hasn't fixed this issue.

Don't worry though.

If you have the patience to follow the tutorial below for each game you play in your career, you should have your team stats automatically corrected, and also have full box-scores (with Team & Player Stats) of your games in NBA Stats Tracker for you to check out.

Video Tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTXW_hvy3aI

Written Tutorial:
1. From in-game, select Play Game (even if you're going to simulate it), and let it save your career on the jersey selection screen.
2. Alt-Tab out of the game and start REditor.
3. Open your save in REditor, export everything to CSV (File > Export to CSV).
4. Start NBA Stats Tracker.
5. Open your database, or create a new one if you haven't previously done so.
6. Click on Import from 2K12 Save, select the folder you saved the CSVs into in Step 3.
7. Save the database.
8. Alt-Tab into the game and play it or watch it, then after it's done let it save your career again. If you're simulating games, simulate just this game and then save immediately. Do not let any other games simulate since your last save.
9. Alt-Tab out of the game and start REditor.
10. Open your save in REditor, export everything to CSV (File > Export to CSV).
11. Go back to the tool, open the database you saved before the game.
12. Click on Import from 2K12 Save, select the folder you saved the CSVs into in Step 10.
13. The tool should detect the game you played and ask you which team is the home team.
14. The tool will now show you the full box score of the game so that you can verify everything's okay. Click on OK.
15. Save the database.
16. Click on Export to 2K12 Save, select the folder you saved the CSVs into in Step 3.
17. Go to REditor, open your career again, import everything from CSV (File > Import from CSV).
18. Save your career in REditor.
19. You're done! Once you go back to NBA 2K12, make sure to quit your career and reload it, or your changes could be lost.

Q: I don't even know what REditor is! Care to throw me a bone?
A: In short, REditor is the ultimate NBA 2K12 tool. It allows you to edit everything in any roster or career file. You can find out more by visiting
http://www.red-mods.com/

Additional Features
Stat Averages, Ranking and Scout Reports
See how well your team is doing, and scout your next opponent for their strengths and weaknesses in a quick glance!

You can view the averages of each team (such as PPG, RPG, FG%), etc, as well as the ranking of each stat in the league, by clicking on "Show Averages", after loading your save and selecting a team, of course.

The "eff" averages are efficiency averages, and they take into account both the success percentage, as well as the absolute amount. What that means is though both a 3-0 and a 6-0 team are on a 1.0 winning %, the second team can obviously keep the 1.0 longer, and has more chances of winning the division/conference/league. Another example are 3 pointers. Two teams that shoot 40% from beyond the arc are dangerous. But if you attempt 5 3-pointers in the whole game, 40% means you made two. That's not really dangerous now, is it? However, a team that has a 40% success while attempting 15 three pointers a game, makes 6 every game! Now that's more like it. Thus, a team that has the same percentage with another, but has that on more wins/shots, will have a better "eff" average.

The "Win eff" ranking is actually a Power Ranking of sorts, as it shows you the relative winning strength of a team in the league, taking account not only the winning percentage, but also how many wins they've got so far and how close they are to the end of the season.

You can also view a Scouting Report of any team, in natural language, commenting on their pros and cons based on their stat rankings in the league, preparing you for a game against them.

Export Tables
All the tables in the tool (Team/Player/League Overview & Box Scores) support copying to the clipboard; when you do, the table's column names (headers) are included as well.

Box Scores in particular, have a special Copy button in their window, which copies both Player (if any) & Team Stats to the clipboard.

The resulting text is in Tab-Separated Values format, supported by Excel and many other spreadsheet editors for pasting into.

Specific tables in the tool also support having TSV-formatted tables pasted into them:
* Team Overview: Overview, Player Stats
* Player Overview: Overview
* Box Scores, via Tools > Paste
To make sure the data you're pasting is compatible, use the tab's table as a base by copying it and pasting it into a spreadsheet, and then making the changes in that. Any data/stats that can't be parsed will be ignored. Remember that whatever you paste isn't saved automatically, you'll have to save via the Overview window before switching team or player.

Real NBA Stats

This feature allows you to automatically grab the real league's team stats, player stats and box scores, and import them into the tool. All that with just a single-click! From there on, you can use all the tool's features, including averages, rankings, scouting reports, comparisons, CSV exports, and anything else that finds its way into the tool's features, onto the real NBA team stats.

Video Feature Tour
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf4OTiSD5Vo
Screenshots

The tool's main screen.

Team Overview

Player Overview

League Overview

Advanced Player Search

Scouting Report for a team

Donate and support my work
If you enjoy using my tools and want to show your appreciation, all you have to do is say a hello and a thank you in a reply here. If, however, you want to show a little more appreciation, you can always consider making a small donation towards my everyday and studies expenses. Any donation, no matter the amount, will give me even greater incentive to develop these tools and helping the community.

Click here to donate!

Last edited by Leftos; 07-30-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Introducing NBA Stats Tracker, a basketball statistical analysis tool

this is pretty awesome
Old 08-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer

OVR: 13
Re: Introducing NBA Stats Tracker, a basketball statistical analysis tool

Thanks xnickx5757.

You can check out how it's helped me develop an Association story here: http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=87164

It can be used by NBA 2K12 gamers, as well as real-life coaches or fans to keep track of their favorite league and do all kinds of analysis.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »