Home

A's Franchise

This is a discussion on A's Franchise within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Rookie

bigdavo's Arena

OVR: 4
A's Franchise

currently 6 games ahead of the angels, approaching the end of june, pitching roster includes, Niese, Porcello, Lester, and Arrietta. 2013, i play every 3rd game, how am i doing for a brit relatively new to baseball?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: A's Franchise

A LOT better than me!

I'm in 2015 with the A's (I play every T. Millone start and sim the rest)...

I've finished 3rd in the West twice, 4th once and although 2015 has started better than those years, I'm still in 3rd...

I haven't made a lot of roster moves, only a couple trades per season with guys who have big contracts expiring (for prospects), so that might be the problem...

Some years the starters are good, the relievers aren't and there's no offence...some years there's offence and sub par pitching...

Very few of the position players are solid year to year...EITHER Weeks or Pennington have a good season...never both...

It's been a very long, frustrating haul...

I applaud you for making moves that lead to winning records...

I'm sure that's a LOT more fun than the grind I'm in...

Enjoy!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdavo
currently 6 games ahead of the angels, approaching the end of june, pitching roster includes, Niese, Porcello, Lester, and Arrietta. 2013, i play every 3rd game, how am i doing for a brit relatively new to baseball?
Good job so far I'm glad your enjoying Americas Digital Pastime . I'm assuming since your on here you have downloaded the O.S Full minors for your franchise (If not I suggest you do it, you'll have loads of fun in franchise plus you get to learn all the prospects). Make sure you develop your farm system by drafting ( Royals guide on developing draft picks is ingenious take a look) and don't break the bank on signing overpriced Vets. The A's don't have much money to play with so unless you string together a couple of World series titles you will have to rely heavily on the farm system and cheap free agent acquisitions. If You don't go any where in terms of the playoffs this season my suggestion would be to trade Lester and other higher priced players for prospects. If your looking for pitching, shoot for guys like Trevor Bauer, Jacob Turner, Mike Montgomery, Shelby miller, Jarrod Parker or Manny Banuelos. If your looking for position players Target Johnathan Singleton, Miguel Sano, Billy Hamilton, Manny Machado, or Will Meyers.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

I like it when people don't do a fantasy draft and stick to the roster already on the team with the exception of a few moves here and there.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtboy27
I like it when people don't do a fantasy draft and stick to the roster already on the team with the exception of a few moves here and there.
That's the route I took and I'm stinkin it up in a year (and for years after) where the IRL A's are surprisingly good...

Oh well!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Rookie

bigdavo's Arena

OVR: 4

thanks for the feedback guys, i already have the os full minor rosters and started my chise with them, will have a closer look at developing young players via the farm system, so much similarity between the A's and my first love Everton, little money, selling or trading our developed players to keep the first team fresh, developing our own young talent and a great passionate support, one day both will be great again hopefully in Everton's case without Arab money. Anyway on with the season, just need to learn how to lay off a curve ball now
Old 08-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

If you want to get some insight on how the A's are forced to do it, read and / or see "Moneyball"...

G.M. Beene has had to alter the philosophy over the ensuing decade a bit, but it makes what was fascinating to take over this mess make...sense?

Look at the recent Kurt Suzuki trade:

Dump salary for a prospect is the standard...

I get rid of anyone making over 1M in the final year of their deal for "B" level prospects (or an "A" and a "C", etc.) whenever possible...

Also:

Guys in the minors seem to be "ready for The Show" when they hit 24 to 26 years of age...

Before that, they're pretty inconsistent...

Also:

Run a search on this forum for two threads:

An A's franchise thread from early in the year that has some good stuff AND a "Moneyball"/ GM thread...

Play the game ANY way it's fun to you, but playing it as Beene has to makes it so challenging that ANYTHING good that happens is a "victory"...
Old 08-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

Here's one:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...athletics.html

Here's the other:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...b-12-show.html

Last edited by KingV2k3; 08-12-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: More

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »