Home

Top 5 Secondaries in Madden 13

This is a discussion on Top 5 Secondaries in Madden 13 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

While predicting the top 5 secondaries in Madden 13, I took into account the combination of individual player attributes as well as the depth of the cornerbacks and safeties on each team. The starting lineups I have listed here reflect the best potential Madden lineups and may not mirror real-life starting secondaries.

#5 - Baltimore Ravens

Lardarius Webb, Jimmy Smith, Ed Reed, Bernard Pollard

The Ravens boast the NFL's best ball-hawking safety in Ed Reed. The new ball-hawking feature in Madden 13 should make Reed users very happy this year. An argument can be made that Lardarius Webb was the best cornerback in football last year, but his virtual success depends on how much love he gets with his individual ratings. Jimmy Smith is a tall, physical corner, but a low awareness may hurt his Madden production. Bernard Pollard is the weak link of the group, as he is mostly a run-support safety with weak pass coverage ratings. Notable Madden subs: CB Cary Williams, CB Corey Graham

#4 - New York Giants

Corey Webster, Prince Amukamara, Antel Rolle, Kenny Phillips

The Giants have some depth at cornerback and can field a strong nickel lineup with CB Terrell Thomas. Corey Webster is a solid corner who just misses elite class status, and Prince Amukamara has the size and ratings to be a Madden playmaker. Safeties Antrel Rolle and Kenny Phillips form a strong duo, with Rolle excelling in coverage and Phillips offering a balanced attack in both coverage and run support. Notable Madden subs: CB Terrell Thomas

#3 - Cincinnati Bengals

Leon Hall, Dre Kirkpatrick, Reggie Nelson, Taylor Mays

The Bengals possess the most versatile secondary in Madden 13. Cornerbacks Leon Hall and Dre Kirkpatrick excel at both press and zone coverage. Reggie Nelson should benefit from the new ball-hawk feature, and Taylor Mays always ranks among the highest-rated safeties in speed and hit power. If manually controlled, Mays can make an impact. What sets the Bengals' secondary apart from most teams in Madden 13 is that they are loaded at the cornerback position in a pass-heavy league. Nate Clements, Terrence Newman, Jason Allen, and even Adam Jones could potentially start on other teams in the NFL. The Bengals will possess the strongest dime package in Madden this year. Notable Madden subs: CB Nate Clements, CB Terrence Newman, CB Jason Allen, CB Adam Jones, FS George Iloka

#2 - Philadelphia Eagles

Nnamdi Asomugha, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Kurt Coleman, Nate Allen

From a talent viewpoint, the Eagles have the second-best starting cornerback tandem in the NFL and the ratings will display that in Madden. Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie are at their best in man-coverage and users would be wise to use them for such. Safeties Kurt Coleman and Nate Allen are solid, and can be allowed to free-roam more than most NFL safeties. The Eagles have an average nickel corner in Joselio Hanson, and go two-deep at the safety positions with O.J. Atogwe and Jaiquawn Jarrett. Notable Madden subs: CB Joselio Hanson, FS Jaiquawn Jarrett, SS O.J. Atogwe

#1 - New York Jets

Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, LaRon Landry, Yeremiah Bell

It seems fitting that the best secondary in Madden has the best cover-corner in the NFL. Users can leave Darrelle Revis on an island in man-to-man coverage, which should free up a safety to roam or help in run support. Opposite of Revis, Antonio Cromartie's size and hands should make him a ball-hawking demon in Madden 13. LaRon Landry possesses fantastic speed and hit power from the free safety position, and Yeremiah Bell should excel in run-support while he plays alongside Revis. Cornerback Kyle Wilson is above average as a nickel man. Notable Madden subs: CB Kyle Wilson, FS Eric Smith

Honorable Mention Secondaries: Seattle Seahawks and Kansas City Chiefs

Who do you think are the top 5 secondaries in Madden 13?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Top 5 Secondaries in Madden 13

Not to be a homer here, but the Seattle Seahawks should be a lock for this list and not just listed with the honorable mentions. A big, physical secondary that sent 3 of 4 starters to the pro bowl last year. Sherman might be the best CB on the team and he was the one who didn't play in the pro bowl. Some key depth with Trufant as your NB. But I would put Browner, Sherman, Thomas, and Chancellor up with any starting unit in the NFL.

Granted, this might be a case where the real life talent of a unit might not match with the Madden world player ratings. Especially since the the Hawks unit thrives playing physical press coverage with big corners (6-4 and 6-3) while safeties blow you up across the middle. Not your typical small speedy secondary that typically does well with Madden ratings.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullyb2332
Not to be a homer here, but the Seattle Seahawks should be a lock for this list and not just listed with the honorable mentions. A big, physical secondary that sent 3 of 4 starters to the pro bowl last year. Sherman might be the best CB on the team and he was the one who didn't play in the pro bowl. Some key depth with Trufant as your NB. But I would put Browner, Sherman, Thomas, and Chancellor up with any starting unit in the NFL.

Granted, this might be a case where the real life talent of a unit might not match with the Madden world player ratings. Especially since the the Hawks unit thrives playing physical press coverage with big corners (6-4 and 6-3) while safeties blow you up across the middle. Not your typical small speedy secondary that typically does well with Madden ratings.
I actually had the Seahawks in my top 5 until the demo came out and I saw the ratings that EA gave them. I was expecting higher.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
MVP

Outkizast's Arena

OVR: 12

I agree Seattle has probably a top 3 secondary at LEAST. But if you know anything about the Northwest, you know it's actually on some far away island in the eyes of National media. Very impressed with the way Pete Carrol has built them into a talented and YOUNG defense

Last edited by Outkizast; 08-22-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Pro

juggalotusx's Arena

OVR: 5

Where is the 49ers?
Goldson=pro bowl last year
Whittner=pro bowl last year
Rogers=6 ints
Brown=did good last year
I mean yes we have the best run D but that made teams throw alot more and we still won 13 games so they must not be to bad. I mean come on Bengals with Mays, you make me laugh hahaha....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggalotusx
Where is the 49ers?
Goldson=pro bowl last year
Whittner=pro bowl last year
Rogers=6 ints
Brown=did good last year
I mean yes we have the best run D but that made teams throw alot more and we still won 13 games so they must not be to bad. I mean come on Bengals with Mays, you make me laugh hahaha....
Good stats, though we are talking about the top 5 secondaries in Madden. A game that punishes Carlos Rogers' and Tarell Brown's 88 and 87 speed ratings, and doesn't favor their 60 and 65 catch ratings. Fortunately for Rogers he has high ratings in awareness (89) and press coverage (93) that benefit his virtual self, but Brown's press coverage (70) doesn't help his case for being particularly useful in Madden.

You may dislike the Bengals and Taylor Mays, but Cincinnati is deeper than the 49ers at cornerback and Mays' speed and hit power do overpower him and make him useful in Madden. If we were talking about real life this conversation would be much different, but it is Madden after all.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Pro

ajk49er's Arena

OVR: 2

gosh Id argue that the chiefs should be in there

Berry/Lewis=great young safety tandem
you have flowers who is a shutdown corner
you have routt who is a BIG corner, who replaces another big corner in carr(6'0)
a lot of talented depth in arenas, jalil brown, abram elam(16 starts last year)

I guess having carr over routt would help seeing all the attention carr gets on nfl n now(even though he was the 2nd best corner in KC last year) but id argue the chiefs as a fringe 5th best
Old 08-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 4

Where are the Colts?

Ohhh, it's the top 5 secondaries...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »