Home

So NOW is QA Important?

This is a discussion on So NOW is QA Important? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 11
So NOW is QA Important?

I've noticed over the last several years that in the months leading up to release in the midst of the marketing hype and new features, etc., the one thing barely mentioned (and never discussed) is Quality Assurance.

Now I get it--when people are excited about what's to come, discussing QA, or making one's wishes known about QA, isn't sexy. But yet after every release (and seemingly more so this year), the forums are littered with fairly large issues. NOW the community is up in arms about QA (whether directly or indirectly).

Before someone jumps in and says "every game has bugs", I'm not talking about the little niggles...I repeat, I'm not talking about the little niggles.

I'm talking about the substantial and near gamebreaking bugs that are evident from simply playing a few games or navigating a few menus and trying a few things. Issues you discover from an hour or two, i.e., not items that are only found with hundreds of thousands of gamers hitting it at once.

So are those that are hot or frustrated right now going to remember this in March or May? Is the community going to emphasize this to the devs going forward? Are those with direct contact with the devs or in community days going to ask about it? Do they mention it?

Because if there's not a constant emphasis on this by the community as a whole year-round (like other issues), at what point do we (as a community) give up our complaining rights to some extent because we make it easy for EA to treat QA lightly?

Features may come and go, but a title that works correctly is not an unreasonable expectation. Do we give EA a pass except for the few weeks following release?

Last edited by Flamehead; 08-29-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
MVP

prey2god's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: So NOW is QA Important?

Their QA Dept needs to do damage control now. Fix the mess everyone higher than them left. Just because this is the "stepping stone" for future Maddens to come doesn't mean it's a brilliant strategy. It could backfire at EA once the NFL License is up in 2014.

Then it's fair game. And a lot of fans will remember this day.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
MVP

RumbleCard's Arena

OVR: 8

Unfortunately we have this same conversation every year. Its been this way as long as I can remember. I sincerely doubt it will ever change.

There's no reason EA can't bring on 20 or so OS members a year, two weeks before release, to work through the game. I'm certain there are hundreds of members on this forum that would donate their time for free. That's right free QA testing. This would cost EA nothing.

But the tight lid these guys like to keep on games will most likely prevent this kind of positive pre-release testing.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

There was extensive QA on this game, unfortunately though you cant count on the snuffler...

Old 08-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
MVP

prey2god's Arena

OVR: 0

I don't see what's there to be tight lid about. Madden literally hasn't had any competition since 06.

They should embrace stuff getting leaked out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

Oh, QA is down across the board in the gaming industry itself (it seems). Notice how publishers and developers hardly delay their games anymore --- it's because they'd like to make their original release date by any means necessary. That's why so many games usually ship in such a bug-riddled state.

Last game I can remember that received a notable delay from its original release date was Mass Effect 2 (an EA title no less) and it ended up being one of the better titles of this console generation. That could very well be for thematic reasons, of course, but the bugs in that game were few and far between compared to other titles on the market. Makes you wonder...

In an era where most developers assume that their user base uses the internet, patching has replaced dedicated quality assurance. It's a shame, but why pay a team of testers when you can gauge community reaction for free?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
Rookie

Soprano00's Arena

OVR: 1

what I really don't understand are bugs like the AI making the wrong choice in the last seconds.

A) the same (wrong) behaviour is not observable in Madden 12 or Madden for Vita. Why did they introduce this change for the worse on something not engine or graphics related like that ? They could have left the one of last year as is and would be OK.

B) even in the case, how could this ever pass the QA tests ? I mean, they didn't even play 4-5 games to realize it ? Or they just knew that but somehow decided to not fix it ?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Carry the Weight nailed it.

There are usually release day patches because of the yearly cycle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »