Home

Penalties Need Fixed in NHL 13!!

This is a discussion on Penalties Need Fixed in NHL 13!! within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

OVR: 10
Penalties Need Fixed in NHL 13!!

Instead of me repeating my penalty issues (many other people reporting the same issue) with the game in the impression thread and this is more of a request anyway, decided to post this in the main forum with the hopes some EA reps are monitoring and reading.

It is just crazy that a hockey game doesn't come close to representing the correct number of penalties during a game. Not even close. In most games there is like 1 total penalty called amongst the teams where it should be more on average of 6-7. Maxing out the penalty sliders and playing with other different settings does not seem to help. When I do see a large number of penalties, they are not usually evenly distributed like the CPU taking 5 penalties, while I take 0. I know a couple of people have said they seen some reasonable penalties, but by far the vast majority of us are not seeing that. I also do not want to have to play the game a "certain way" in order to make them happen, especially since I can't control the CPU or my teammates.

PP/PK is a MAJOR part of real life hockey and for it to not be implemented correctly is a huge problem. I am begging that EA take steps to correct this with a patch/tuner by letting the penalty sliders actually work. If I have them maxed out, I should see a ton of them in my game.

I wont start any new threads about this issue since I have said enough already, hopefully others can share in their frustration so this possibly gets seen by EA reps and they understand what kind of huge issue this is for people who want the game to reasonably play like NHL hockey.

The rest of the game is very good, but I would hate for this issue to be the single reason I end up canceling by pre-order

Last edited by SlyBelle; 09-08-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
MVP

Ninjoid's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Penalties Need Fixed in NHL 13!!

I just want to add in as well something which has plagued the series for the past few versions:

The CPU won't instigate a fight at all...therefore there are no fights in cpu v cpu mode along with the lack of cpu penalties - it really does detract from the realism.

If EA is looking at this Slybelle is quite right and penalites need to be more prevalent along with the cpu initiating a fight with either a user or itself.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
jb1
Rookie

OVR: 7

The lack of penalties was the biggest reason why I traded in NHL 12 very early last year. I'm now seriously considering not even buying NHL 13 as I got so frustrated with it last year.

The fact that it was a real problem last year and was spoken about at length both here and on the EA forums and still hasn't been fixed makes me wonder whether there is a bigger factor at play when it comes to fixing it. I could be way off base here but i've heard and read before that FIFA and NHL share some code (not sure what though) and both games have serious problems with fouls/penalties being called, I wonder whether that is a factor with it not being fixed?

I really can't believe they haven't touched it at all for 13, surely with the penalty sliders maxed out we should be seeing interference and charging penalties being called all over the place, so many late hits go unpunished while poke checks sould be more likely to result in a tripping call etc.

It's a shame as there are some great improvements with 13 but i'm not sure how much i'll enjoy playing an NHL game with hardly any penalties being called again.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjoid
I just want to add in as well something which has plagued the series for the past few versions:

The CPU won't instigate a fight at all...therefore there are no fights in cpu v cpu mode along with the lack of cpu penalties - it really does detract from the realism.

If EA is looking at this Slybelle is quite right and penalites need to be more prevalent along with the cpu initiating a fight with either a user or itself.

Thanks
Excellent point...fighting is a key part of the penalty system and I have never seen the CPU start a fight with me.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1
The lack of penalties was the biggest reason why I traded in NHL 12 very early last year. I'm now seriously considering not even buying NHL 13 as I got so frustrated with it last year.

The fact that it was a real problem last year and was spoken about at length both here and on the EA forums and still hasn't been fixed makes me wonder whether there is a bigger factor at play when it comes to fixing it. I could be way off base here but i've heard and read before that FIFA and NHL share some code (not sure what though) and both games have serious problems with fouls/penalties being called, I wonder whether that is a factor with it not being fixed?

I really can't believe they haven't touched it at all for 13, surely with the penalty sliders maxed out we should be seeing interference and charging penalties being called all over the place, so many late hits go unpunished while poke checks sould be more likely to result in a tripping call etc.

It's a shame as there are some great improvements with 13 but i'm not sure how much i'll enjoy playing an NHL game with hardly any penalties being called again.
100% agree with you. To be honest, I wouldn't even care right now if there was no penalty variety and were all "hooking" penalties just so I could at least have the PP/PK chances. With the limited penalty calls, we'll likely hardly ever see 4-4 situations, 5-3 situations, etc.....those are fun areas of hockey and looks like we will have to do without.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Banned

boilermakernet08's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm seeing a problem but it isn't the fact that no penalties are called. My problem is I'm not drawing any penalties from the CPU. I played 3 games last night, and I didn't go on a single power play. Not one PP. The computer had an average of 5 PP's per game.

I'm OK with the number of CPU PP's since penalties were maxed. But I didn't get a single PP in three games. That seems to be a bit ridiculous to me. Does anyone have any tips to draw penalties?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermakernet08
I'm seeing a problem but it isn't the fact that no penalties are called. My problem is I'm not drawing any penalties from the CPU. I played 3 games last night, and I didn't go on a single power play. Not one PP. The computer had an average of 5 PP's per game.

I'm OK with the number of CPU PP's since penalties were maxed. But I didn't get a single PP in three games. That seems to be a bit ridiculous to me. Does anyone have any tips to draw penalties?
I think that is part of the problem right now. Even when there is a reasonable total recorded, the distribution of them are out of whack. No way any team should go a game (and for sure multiple games) without going on the PP per league average.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17

I only played 10 minutes periods last night. Just wondering if it improves with 20 minute periods??? I will try later this evening when I get some time.

Personally, it should not matter how many minutes are being played. If I am playing on Hardcore with penalties maxed, I should be seeing tons of penalties being called. EA dodged this problem last year and it seems that this may be by design

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »