Home

Schemes? Does it really do anything?

This is a discussion on Schemes? Does it really do anything? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Rookie

atvmx21's Arena

OVR: 0
Schemes? Does it really do anything?

I adjusted my schemes for the first time, making my team a power run team. It bumps BJGE up to an 88, but it doesn't really effect any of his ratings just his overall correct? I can't find any difference besides just the OVR rating. Strength, Trucking, speed all that stays the same no matter what I change it to.

So my question is, does the schemes really effect anything after you change them???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
Rookie

Qrashman's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Schemes? Does it really do anything?

It does nothing but change overall rating. It's supposed to make your younger players progress faster if they are in the correct scheme for their type.

But I have to ask. How the hell did you change your scheme? I went to Schemes and it gives no option to change the scheme. Just the individual player types. I'm trying to change my Jets from a power run offense to a west coast kind of offense but no matter what I do they stay power run.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrashman
But I have to ask. How the hell did you change your scheme? I went to Schemes and it gives no option to change the scheme. Just the individual player types. I'm trying to change my Jets from a power run offense to a west coast kind of offense but no matter what I do they stay power run.
amen! I'm still trying to figure this out myself
Old 09-17-2012, 03:10 AM   #4
(PS3) Madden 13

mirrored32's Arena

OVR: 18

I think with the update you can change it now. not sure but check again. hope that helps!

Console: PS3
Games: Madden 13
Old 09-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
(PS3) Madden 13

mirrored32's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrashman
It does nothing but change overall rating. It's supposed to make your younger players progress faster if they are in the correct scheme for their type.

you can't change your scheme if you are using a premade coach. you can change the scheme of the player type. aka LT is a pass blocker type. HB is a one cut back. etc.

Console: PS3
Games: Madden 13
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Rookie

I was reading and apparently a player's overall will be effected based on his player type and how they fit into your scheme that is selected. So I could just ignore overall ratings and play the game but I enjoy having a high rating for the guys. So I was thinking I could get some advice on the player types for the scheme I want to play.
Generally I like to run mostly M 2 M defense with my corners from a 4-3 defense. I also generally control a DE to rush the passer.
Currently I have it set to Run Stopping DT/Balanced DT...Speed Pass Rushing DEs. Run Stopping MLB. My OLBs are set for Run Stop and Prototype. My Corners are M2M, and my Safeties are set for Zone Coverage/Playmaker.
Does anyone find that setting a it to prototype or playmaker is more valuable?
In terms of offense, I use the Broncos. So I am kinda stuck playing a very vertical type offense. I really enjoy throwing to the TE alot. So I have vertical threat TEs. WR 1 is a Red Zone Threat (because it matches D. Thomas) I set WR2 to balanced but am considering changing it to Possession. FB is always Blocking.
What would the best offense line play types be? Any reason to not use balanced? In terms of RB, I generally like guys who can get to the edge. I run alot of stretch run plays, quick pitch players, off, tackle. I dont see any purpose to a "one-cut" b/c I dont need BC Vision b/c I am the one running the ball. I was thinking just straight speed backs would be my best bet here.
If anyone has some advice or personal experience with player types they found to be valuable I would love to hear it.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Rookie

vicaddict's Arena

OVR: 1

I am not really sure if schemes have any purpose at all. The only difference I can spot is a different amount of player roles teams can set, e.g. some may have 2 TE, some 3 WR or in the Giants case 4 DE's, whole other teams may have less than that. Even then it doesn't really seem to be connected to the schemes, because some teams with the same scheme do have a different number of player roles.

I would assume that their only purpose is to make the CPU draft and sign certain players. How the players perform depends on their skill. So basically it is my assumption that the whole scheme thing is useless for the player and it would have been less confusing, if they would have hidden that feature in the first place.

However I am currently wondering why schemes are named differently. I would assume that Tampa 2 and the Cover 2 playbook are the same and that the heavy run playbook would match with the Power Run scheme. But what about the run-balanced PB? Is it a Balanced scheme or the Zone Run scheme? What about Vertical and Spread Offense? Would the pass-balanced PB or Run n Gun apply? What about 3-4 attacking and 4-3 attacking players?

That whole thing is just confusing as it seems you get no benefit at all, other than a higher overall indicating how the player would fit. If you are like me and are trying to sign only players that would fit your scheme, than your a more than confused. But basically? I think you may sign players no matter what and they perform well.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
Banned

Drtro's Arena

OVR: 6

For you, it means nothing. It's basically a complex "formula" to help the CPU sign players more realistically than signing the highest OVR player.

Once you're in game, go to your depth chart and it's basically the default Play Now ratings so it makes no difference.

It helps to get players for your scheme though as they progress more in correct schemes (more XP per catch, completion, TD, etc) so people say.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »