Home

Casual fan with NHL 11 is NHL 13 worth the jump?

This is a discussion on Casual fan with NHL 11 is NHL 13 worth the jump? within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Casual fan with NHL 11 is NHL 13 worth the jump?

I apologize in advance if this has been done to death so forgive me. I'm a very casual NHL gamer even to the point of using the NHL 94 controls. Not really huge on the GM or franchise stuff. I enjoyed NHL 11 but found the player movements especially on contact to be rather stiff and it annoyed me but other than that I'm not overly nitpicky. I like the classic players ala NBA 2K(classic teams was the sole reason I bought and still play NBA 2K12) but from what I can gather, 13 only has a few classic players, no teams and their involvement is rather limited and even then isn't implemented well.

I guess, in short is whatever improvements they've made between NHL 11 and NHL 13 worth dropping $60 for? Oh also I have some bizarre obsession with classic jerseys in sports gaming. Every new(to me) sports game I get, I immediately check the classic unis. I think because it reminds me of watching sports with my grandfather as a child in the late 70s through the 80s. Has EA added any notable classic unis between 11 and 13? I thought they did a great job with the throwbacks in 11 but I'm sure there's always more.

Again, sorry for the life story over something that's probably been asked a million times. I'm on the road and posting from my phone so it's actually easier than using the "search" function with the smaller screen. Much appreciation and thanks to anyone that takes, even the smallest amount of time to answer.
"I don't want them to like me, because when I'm in the ring, punches fly to the face. It is not a tenderness time. I am not falling in love. And he knows that when the fight starts I kick faces." Wanderlei Silva XBL: muaithaiko

Last edited by mmathaifighter; 09-15-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Add text
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Casual fan with NHL 11 is NHL 13 worth the jump?

Yes! it is! I haven't played an NHL game since NHL11 (bought 13 out of anticipation) and it is FANTASTIC. It's lightyears ahead of 11. The animations are nice and fluid (just looking at the backskate makes me giggle) and the new skating engine makes everything feel balanced and fun. There are some sort of problems (i.e checking is a bit more stale/glitchy than 11's kill everyone mode) but overall the experience is really good. Although they do not have too many old players, they do have some classic jerseys and NHL moments with older players (although they play on current teams in the moments).

IMO you should get it. The gameplay stands out great, the presentation is nice and good, and I actually liked how Gary/Bill have tons of new lines (including saying a player's points so far in a season). Get it!!
Old 09-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

Thank you for taking the time for your detailed reply. I'll probably scoop it up in the next couple of days. Thanks again!!!
"I don't want them to like me, because when I'm in the ring, punches fly to the face. It is not a tenderness time. I am not falling in love. And he knows that when the fight starts I kick faces." Wanderlei Silva XBL: muaithaiko
Old 09-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

OVR: 10

Just beware....if penalties is important to you, the game has a long ways to go before it simulates realistic number of penalties per game....a major point of frustration for mysely and others.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

I am a casual player and it has been worth the jump. I am really enjoying it and I know people have the lynch mob out for EA with the lack of penalties. Actually I had to look up the average penalties in a hockey game to see what all the discussion was about, lol. Bottom line is I am enjoying it and that's what counts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 13

I'll be the minority voice - depends on what mode you play. I only play offline BeAGM. If that is the only mode you play, the difference is very small and not at all worth $60. EA seems so focused on online stuff that BeAGM gets very little improvement from year to year. For me, the fun factor peaked with 10 and has remained lesser every year (though, granted the realism on the ice has improved some from year to year). Like a sucker, I buy NHL every year, and I have had buyer's regret every year since 10 (including this year).
Old 09-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

I think it's more than worth it.

Yeah, the not enough penalty calls is frustrating...and I sure hope it gets fixed at some point. But overall, I'm enjoying NHL '13' a lot.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 24

I was gonna get 13, but held off and started reading reviews here. Besides the little things like lack of celebrations......the penalty issue, goalies, AI, etc made me think twice.

I'm currently starting Year Two of franchise in 11, and actually loving it. Penalties: Check
Group celebrations: check
AI difficulty: check
No freezes: check (lol, just seeing if anyone's paying attention)

Ok, so the skating is non-realistic. Ok, so almost every team plays the same. I can overlook this, because with the sliders I'm using at the moment, I'm getting pretty good and competitve games against the CPU.

I also have a custom sound set, authentic goal horns for all teams, etc and my CAT has a custom goal horn as well.I really didn't feel like starting over again by creating a team, choosing uniforms, sounds, etc. 11 is set up just the way I want.

I'm just like you,mmathaifighter-----a casual fan. I skipped 12 just because 11 was cheaper at the time, and will most likely skip 13. I have no regrets thus far....

Last edited by Segagendude; 09-19-2012 at 03:27 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »