Home

F1 2012 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on F1 2012 Impressions Thread within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31
F1 2012 Impressions Thread

I have the game on Xbox 360, and I've only watched one or two F1 races, but I enjoy great racing games. Therefore, my views on the game are probably 'easier' than a more critical fan of the sport would be.

I played for about three hours last night until my eyes gave out, LOL

I completed the 'Young Driver' tutorial (which was GREAT, I highly recommend doing this no matter your skill level), and then started a career and spent awhile at Melbourne running (and restarting) practices. I also ran a 3 lap Quick Race.

I had played and enjoyed F1 2010, and owned 2011 but never really got into it.

Initial impressions are that the overall polish on the game is fantastic. I love the menu screens and the way stuff is laid out. This really looks and feels like a game that's on it's fourth or fifth cycle, not it's third. Very impressive, they made some good strides, including:

--Audio is great! The sounds of the cars, the music, the difference in the wind sound when DRS is employed, tires on the kerbs, everything is top drawer.

--Graphics....oh, the cars! Wow, just gorgeous car models. It's hard to imagine that they could look better. The deep hues of the paint jobs (especially my green Lotus!) are so realistic. Frame rates seem smoother too, though I have yet to run a race in the rain. Lighting is brilliant, everything seems very refined compared to 2010.

--Gameplay. Based on what I've played so far, I have to agree with the IGN reviewer when he said the difficulty falls between the easier 2010 and the harder 2011. I've got my car set up how I like it for now assists-wise, with brake assist off (man, it's overwhelming), ABS on, traction control at Medium. Even with the AI cars at the next to the lowest setting, I'm still quite challenged on the track and they seem to run good races. I liked seeing the occasional AI run off the track and spin out during practice, too!

The handling seems very responsive and I am in no way frustrated by my control of the vehicle; only my limitations as a driver! This game is so scaleable that anyone should find a setup that will challenge them.

Also of note: the replays for races are excellent this year Thank you, Codies! Watching the race was nearly as fun as running in it.

Overall I'm finding myself very immersed this year so far. 2011 was a bit of a cold fish to me, and it was also the victim of 'Fall Gaming Overload Syndrome'. I have a big stack of games right now, but F1 is the one I want to play most right now, even over Madden and NHL. I can't wait to get home and try to succeed at Melbourne tonight

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
All Star

OVR: 20
Re: F1 2012 Impressions Thread

No question this is a fun series. But Codemasters removed two essential features from F1 2012 for hardcore F1 fans like me -- the ability to take any driver and race a Grand Prix season and scaled tire wear.

The lack of scaled tire wear is a game-killer for me. Last year's game featured accelerated tire wear, which maintained the crucial, realistic element of tire strategy in shorter races. You had to manage your tires and pit stops to replace those tires even in races of 30 percent length. It was great, realistic fun that produced endless strategic variety, especially in online racing with buddies.

Tire strategy is a VITAL part of real F1, especially since refuelling is prohibited. And Codemasters decided to remove that feature for some reason. Makes zero sense.

Glad you're enjoying the game, though, man.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
No question this is a fun series. But Codemasters removed two essential features from F1 2012 for hardcore F1 fans like me -- the ability to take any driver and race a Grand Prix season and scaled tire wear.

The lack of scaled tire wear is a game-killer for me. Last year's game featured accelerated tire wear, which maintained the crucial, realistic element of tire strategy in shorter races. You had to manage your tires and pit stops to replace those tires even in races of 30 percent length. It was great, realistic fun that produced endless strategic variety, especially in online racing with buddies.

Tire strategy is a VITAL part of real F1, especially since refuelling is prohibited. And Codemasters decided to remove that feature for some reason. Makes zero sense.

Glad you're enjoying the game, though, man.
Thanks for bringing up the tire issue, that's important to have out there in a thread like this. So, does that mean that you need to run races of, say, 50% to even have a tire change?

Also, as long as you're here and an F1 fan...do races actually start with the grid standing still? I guess I thought they did a parade lap then rolling start...at least on some tracks?

Thanks for the education in advance

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Old 09-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan
Also, as long as you're here and an F1 fan...do races actually start with the grid standing still? I guess I thought they did a parade lap then rolling start...at least on some tracks?
I think that you're thinking of IndyCar, where races on streets and road courses are rolling.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
All Star

Quote:
Thanks for bringing up the tire issue, that's important to have out there in a thread like this. So, does that mean that you need to run races of, say, 50% to even have a tire change?

No problem, man. Again, glad you're digging the game.

I'm not sure if tire changes are required in a 50-percent length race, as I don't have the retail game. Codemasters' lead F1 developer, Steve Hood, explained the decision to eliminate scalable tire wear below:

http://community.codemasters.com/t5/...p/69630#U69630

F1 always has featured standing starts. IndyCar has rolling starts on street and road courses, but it may introduce some standing starts next season.

You should check out real F1 on SPEED Channel some Sunday morning. Fascinating, exciting form of motorsport. Plus SPEED's broadcast team is the BEST in American motorsport, hands down. Better than any NASCAR, IndyCar or NHRA team by miles. Really smart dudes who don't treat the audience like morons.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
All Star

Quote:
Just did a bit more research on this topic at the Codemasters' forum, man. It appears that races of 50-percent distance will require one tire stop.

That's better than none, but it's still not realistic. Nearly every F1 race requires two or three stops for tires. The Italian Grand Prix on Sept. 9 at Monza required only one stop for some drivers, but that's very rare in F1.

Last year's game required two and three stops, even in shorter-distance races. It was realistic and fun as hell due to the added strategic options.

Still, I'm glad you're digging F1 2012. It's still better than nearly all console racing games depicting real-life series. NASCAR games traditionally have been terrible, and the MotoGP series has taken a serious nosedive since the license went to Capcom. The WRC games also are lousy in the hands of Black Bean Games.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:

I DVR'd the Spa race on Speed and will again this weekend (Singapore, at night)

They do a parade lap, then in fact DO start with the grid standing still.

I really can't wait to get this game for PC. Been playing the hell outta the demo, and for beginners like me, the game seems just easy enough for me to learn, but still hard enough to provide a challenge.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
All Star

Sega:

BTW: I love the signature in your threads, with two of life's biggest mysteries.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »