Home

any point in keep/progressing a WR with really low AWR?

This is a discussion on any point in keep/progressing a WR with really low AWR? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
any point in keep/progressing a WR with really low AWR?

hi, i drafted a beastly WR with size, good speed and 81 trucking, but his AWR was around 20.

i got 27,000 XP points for him being 3rd or 4th on the depth chart and used it all on AWR; it only got raised to about 33 or so.

at this rate, he'll crack 50 AWR at the end of his third year.

do you think AWR impacts a WR? if not, it should.

part of me thinks the players with low AWR should remain crap; they're the combine freaks we see who don't understand how to play and never make it in the pros.

i see super low AWR as a kind of checks and balance in the game to make sure not every player turns out great or even good; even if they have outstanding measureables. so i'm leaning towards calling a guy with 20 AWR a bust and moving on.

thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: any point in keep/progressing a WR with really low AWR?

In football, awareness is least necessary in the WR position of all others. By this I mean, yes, good receivers will know where to drop in the soft spots of zones etc, but WR awareness is the least important of all positions, except QB in this game because you have to control the QB...but I definitely don't worry about awareness in my receivers, although it is the most important attribute (in coaching sims) to me in other games, but not so much Madden.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 1

How's he playing? If he's playing well keep him and use him. I'm not sure what AWR does for WRs but if it hasn't caused you problems I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
Rookie

thrust's Arena

OVR: 3

OK guys. Imagine each player has a bubble around him. The player has knowlege of or sees what is going on inside this bubble. The awareness rating is the size of this bubble. The player ofcourse has line of sight, but awareness is sort of like instincts.

Have you ever seen a WR look like he gets hit with the ball rather than going for the catch or looks almost suprised that the ball is on him? Well that is low awareness.
Have you ever seen a pass get broken up and a reciever near by bursts into action and makes a catch on a ball that wasn't even meant for him? That is good awareness.

This attribute is huge for any CPU controlled players weather they be on your team or not.
Tweeted from Tampa Habitual Rehab Clinic
THRC
a home for the lonely
Old 09-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Awareness for a receiver is only a few things. I've heard option routes, and how long it takes for him to react and break off his route if the QB is in trouble. If you are the one playing, awareness means very little at QB, RB, WR
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Pro

Dj_MyTime's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acera
Awareness for a receiver is only a few things. I've heard option routes, and how long it takes for him to react and break off his route if the QB is in trouble. If you are the one playing, awareness means very little at QB, RB, WR
This 'Option Routes' WR's/TE's, etc will run the wrong routes vs the defense, but with only a handful of option routes available, I don't even use them. I stick with the basic route tree.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2047473988
Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

the second part of my question was more about a "house rule": is it cheap to play and succeed with a player, like a WR, with 20 AWR?

with that awareness, he's a total idiot and to me, i'm thinking he's a "bust": has the physical tools but not the mental makeup.

i think it's a necessary part of the game to reflect the reality of the real NFL: some players are physically gifted but mentally lacking.

of course, that house rule is subjective but i think i'm leaning there. if a guy doesn't have at least 50 AWR, he shouldn't be starting; he wouldn't in the real world.

so, i'm trying to bump his AWR up. but even a successful 3rd WR will only get so many XP per year and it would take me to the beginning of his 4th year, i think, to crack 50 AWR -- with ZERO xp every given to his other ratings (that said, he's a beast so many he doesn't need them anywhere).

just wanted to know if anyone thinks my house rule idea makes any sense or not.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson just couldn't grasp the Patriots playbook...and he was a very good receiver for a long time. The Patriots would rather bring Deion Branch back than have Chad on their team.

B.B. said that Randy Moss was the most intelligent WR he had ever coached, and he really liked Troy Brown.

Some guys get it. Some don't. The NFL is filled with option routes and complex calls. An NFL playbook has somewhere around 400 plays. Of that, different teams have different terminology. It takes time to lean and understand a system.

In Madden, all it matters is how they perform, and I wouldn't waste a single experience point [if I had M13] on awareness for any player. Heck, even EA talked about how in-game they have almost gotten rid of awareness. It is really only supposed to apply to AI controlled QBs.

Ball Carrier Vision is what is supposed to be the new awareness for anyone with the ball. Play Recognition is what defenders use. Blocking is actually programmed into the game, so it's also pretty worthless for linemen too.

Awareness has an impact on the game, but a very minimal one at best.

Just progress the other skills. Make trucking or something else that is already nice, nicer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »