Home

Week 6: New England Patriots (3-2) @ Seattle Seahawks (3-2)

This is a discussion on Week 6: New England Patriots (3-2) @ Seattle Seahawks (3-2) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

OVR: 25
Week 6: New England Patriots (3-2) @ Seattle Seahawks (3-2)

This should be the game that every major NFL analyst should be keying in on for next week. The reason: The #1 total offense vs. the #1 total defense.

The Pats are coming off of a 31-21 win against the Broncos that was actually a lot more lopsided than the score implies. We all know about 3-time Super Bowl winner & future Hall of Fame QB Tom Brady, Wes Welker, Gronk, and the vaunted passing attack they possess year after year. But, the major surprise has been the power running game that has finally created the balanced attack Bill Belichick has been seeking since the Corey Dillon days. If the Patriots have any weak spots, it might be the pass defense, which has been noted for it's inconsistency. To win this game, they need the pass rush to step up and contain Russell Wilson, and the linebackers need to make sure they wrap up, as Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch leads the league in yards after contact.

The Seahawks put together another gritty defensive effort in a 16-12 win in Carolina. I'ma just say it: this is the best defense in Seahawks history. There has literally never been a defense more complete, at every position, in franchise history. That said, they might have their work cut out for them in this game, as Brady is no pushover. The offense, on the other hand, shown improvement in Carolina, despite a few untimely turnovers. For the Hawks to win, three things need to happen:

1. Wilson needs to be prepared to air it out just in case the defense doesn't show up against Brady.

2. Lynch needs to get the ball early and often, and tire this defense out.

3. The crowd needs to be louder than they were against the Giants in 2005, as anything that might jolt Brady out of rhythm will help this defense tremendously.

Prediction: Seahawks 21, Patriots 14.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Week 6: New England Patriots (3-2) @ Seattle Seahawks (3-2)

I love our defense, but I'm pretty concerned about this game. So thankful that it's at home. Based on the first five weeks, one of the weaknesses I've noticed is the underneath stuff over the middle. Sherman/Browner do a wonderful job of locking up receivers on the outside, but the dumpoffs over the middle have been a problem. The Packers were massacred in the first half but then adjusted very smartly to the quick passing game in the second half. They were able to move the ball much more effectively and the Seahawks D had zero sacks after putting up 8 in the first half. I think Brady and the Patriots will do a great job of exploiting that underneath stuff all game. Combine that with the no huddle to tire out the front four and it could negate the pass rush. Here's to hoping that Carroll and Bradley come up with something to try taking that away.

On the flip side, the offense needs to continue making progress. Russell Wilson's challenge from the staff was to do better on third downs, and I thought he responded very well against the Panthers. That needs to carry over, and now he has do a lot better in the redzone. I thought that one of the announcer's comments during the game was interesting: that Wilson looks afraid to take risks in the redzone due to Pete Carroll's insistence on avoiding turnovers. Seems that it's getting into Russell's head in the redzone and isn't allowing him to really just let it rip. It'll be interesting to see if Pete will allow Russell to let it go just a little bit more.

Should be a really interesting game and I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

This was also really interesting to read about the Patriots no huddle:

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...DfK/story.html
Old 10-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaima1shu
On the flip side, the offense needs to continue making progress. Russell Wilson's challenge from the staff was to do better on third downs, and I thought he responded very well against the Panthers. That needs to carry over, and now he has do a lot better in the redzone. I thought that one of the announcer's comments during the game was interesting: that Wilson looks afraid to take risks in the redzone due to Pete Carroll's insistence on avoiding turnovers. Seems that it's getting into Russell's head in the redzone and isn't allowing him to really just let it rip. It'll be interesting to see if Pete will allow Russell to let it go just a little bit more.

Should be a really interesting game and I'm really looking forward to it.
Highlighted part above in my chief concern on offense now, since I'm seeing improvement everywhere else. I want Wilson to go into attack mode mentality inside the 20....I want Pete and Bevell to encourage this. I trust Wilson to be aggressive AND smart in the Red Zone. He'll make mistakes, but he's a rook and it's part of learning.

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Old 10-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Rookie

StanleyStutters's Arena

OVR: 8

The Patriots offense has really been clicking these past few weeks especially since McDaniels has started using Welker & Ridley more and Edelman (injured) & Woodhead less. The Patriots running game has been great through the first five weeks, but Seattle's run defense has been even better they rank T-2nd in the NFL in YPC allowed giving up only 3.2 yards. This will be a great test for the young Patriots' RBs.

The Patriots run defense has also been great this year, but their pass defense has struggled. They rank near the bottom of the league again and have looked terrible at times. It'll be interesting to see how the rookie QB matches-up with the Pats pass D. One positive for the Pats is turnover differential. So far this year the Patriots are +10 in turnover differential while the Seahawks are -1. If the Pats can force Wilson into making mistakes and give Brady the extra possessions they should win.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Part of it is me not buying the Seahawks being able to score enough and thinking even the 'Hawks don't have enough guys to cover the Pats. I'll eat crow after if need be...I'm thinking New England big.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24

New England will handle Seattle with ease.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjonesfan921
Part of it is me not buying the Seahawks being able to score enough and thinking even the 'Hawks don't have enough guys to cover the Pats. I'll eat crow after if need be...I'm thinking New England big.
This is a concern. I'm not very confident in Trufant as the nickel corner against Welker or whoever else the Patriots decide to run in the slot.

At the same time, even with all these concerns I'm going to have confidence in this defense until they let me down. They've been fantastic so far, and being at home I think the defense has a good shot at coming through.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »