Home

NBA 2K13 - The Future of MyTeam

This is a discussion on NBA 2K13 - The Future of MyTeam within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NBA 2K13 - The Future of MyTeam

In the podcast tonight I want to share some of the answers to the following questions.
  • Is it “fair” to ask players to fork out $60 for the right to spend more real money in order to play competitively in these modes?
  • Will these modes eventually be carved out as stand-alone features, potentially reducing the cost of the “full retail box” title, especially in the next generation?
As always, thanks for participating.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
AmR
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: NBA 2K13 - The Future of MyTeam

MyTeam is a great addition and seems pretty cool to play as a bottom rank team and build your squad up. But it definitely feels raw and needs more attention to through updates or even the next 2K release.

I don't like the whole buying of VC, it takes the challenge out of the game and makes it seem like 2K is all about the money which i hope they are not. I think they should just up the VC to get when you play online games or do certain things, that would promote more online play and have gamers attached to the game a lot more.

BTW Steve what is your podcast link, definitely want to check into it tonight.
-Chi-Town Bulls always in my heart.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

My Team is an awesome feature with tons of potential but I don't see 2K going away from using 'real money' any time soon. If you want to build a team organically, you have that choice. It's much more difficult and VERY time consuming, but it's an alternative to spending more money and is more rewarding in the long run.

Trying to land the legendary superstars through booster packs is highly addictive and has probably made 2K a TON of extra cash - simply because it's so difficult to get the sought after players. I admit to spending a solid $40 on them trying to get Iverson or Shaq. Stupid I know, but it's a rush when that golden box opens!

Looking forward to the podcast!
Old 10-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Banned

Ken Griffery Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Is it “fair” to ask players to fork out $60 for the right to spend more real money in order to play competitively in these modes?
What works for the mobile business - where games cost as little as $0.99 and usually don't go higher than $6.99 - does not apply to a $60 retail game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Will these modes eventually be carved out as stand-alone features, potentially reducing the cost of the “full retail box” title, especially in the next generation?
It's quite obvious that's where 2K is heading. In fact they tried this a few years ago with 2K10 when they released the draft combine "DLC" prior to the game. It's clear from 2K13 that the series is headed towards an 'A la carte' business model.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branflakz16
My Team is an awesome feature with tons of potential but I don't see 2K going away from using 'real money' any time soon. If you want to build a team organically, you have that choice. It's much more difficult and VERY time consuming, but it's an alternative to spending more money and is more rewarding in the long run.

Trying to land the legendary superstars through booster packs is highly addictive and has probably made 2K a TON of extra cash - simply because it's so difficult to get the sought after players. I admit to spending a solid $40 on them trying to get Iverson or Shaq. Stupid I know, but it's a rush when that golden box opens!

Looking forward to the podcast!
I've played FIFA Ultimate Team for 3 years now and you can get players through packs only there. You can then put them on the market for a price you decide and which isn't fixed by EA.
People are spending 300 bucks on packs on FUT, it's crazy.
Another great feature on FUT is the In-Form players. Every Week there's a Team of the Week where player's real-life performances are being rewarded with an IF version of their card, which is available in packs during one week only.
This market system is much more fun and should be implemented for MyTeam as well, as you can also make coins by trading and not only by playing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Pro

I was hoping this would have been more like Madden's Ultimate Team. I like trying to collect all the cards in a card book, reminds me of when I was a kid collecting trading cards. I have no problem using real money to get more VC to buy booster packs but to buy individual players is really lame & take away the fun from the mode IMO.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
MVP

infam0us's Arena

OVR: 10

When I first saw the MyTeam concept I thought it would have been like the mode they had in like MLB2k8 or MLB2k9 where you collect cards by accomplishing things while playing to unlock a certain player. And if you wanted to just buy certain boosts or players you could.

Having to pay for individual player is lame and a cheap ploy to nickle and dime the consumers.

I also doubt this leads to them reduce the price of retail games because I'm sure there are many people like Branflakz16 who have probably already given 2k an additional 20 dollars in buying boosters and players.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Rookie

Semipro91's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by infam0us
When I first saw the MyTeam concept I thought it would have been like the mode they had in like MLB2k8 or MLB2k9 where you collect cards by accomplishing things while playing to unlock a certain player. And if you wanted to just buy certain boosts or players you could.

Having to pay for individual player is lame and a cheap ploy to nickle and dime the consumers.

I also doubt this leads to them reduce the price of retail games because I'm sure there are many people like Branflakz16 who have probably already given 2k an additional 20 dollars in buying boosters and players.
Is the reason everyone is hating this mode because 2k is the LAST sports game to down this route? I personally haven't spent a dollar on VC and I am 14-5 in My Team. I totally don't mind people dropping 60 bucks to inflate their team. It makes it harder and the main reason i play sports/games is competition.

The mode is still raw, but if anyone remembers when EAs card games came out the first year it too was raw.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »