Home

At Their Peak, Who Was Hottest/Most Popular?

This is a discussion on At Their Peak, Who Was Hottest/Most Popular? within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: At Their Peak, Who Was Hottest/Most Popular?
Andre The Giant 0 0%
Hulk Hogan 54 42.52%
Ric Flair 1 0.79%
Shawn Michaels 0 0%
Bret Hart 2 1.57%
Stone Cold Steve Austin 45 35.43%
The Rock 15 11.81%
John Cena 1 0.79%
Sting 5 3.94%
Goldberg 3 2.36%
Triple H 1 0.79%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
All Star

st0rmb11's Arena

OVR: 30
At Their Peak, Who Was Hottest/Most Popular?

Simple question, pretty much.

You look at each wrestler's peak, who was the hottest, most popular, best known wrestler? (within the realm of wrestling fans & outside of it)

I'm not going to answer, and I really don't feel qualified because I wasn't into wrestling at the time of Hogan's, Flair's, Andre's, HBK's, or Bret's peak.

To me, I live in South Carolina, and I don't know a person who doesn't know of, and whose parents don't know of, and whose grandparents don't know of...Ric Flair.

and this almost 30 years after the NWA/Mid-South Wrestling's popularity, so I can't even imagine how big he was in the late 70s and through the 80s.

Cincinnati Reds

UNC Tarheels

Twitter: @st0rmb11

PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 55
Re: At Their Peak, Who Was Hottest/Most Popular?

Unless you're over 30 it would be hard to understand how HUGE Hulkamania was in the mid 80s. The guy got 93,000+ people to show up IN PERSON to watch him wrestle. Nobody else can say that. A lot of guys have been "over" but Hogan was beyond that. He singlehandedly brought pro wrestling into mainstream popular culture.

And this is coming from a guy whose favorite wrestler of all-time is Ric Flair.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
All Star

st0rmb11's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
Unless you're over 30 it would be hard to understand how HUGE Hulkamania was in the mid 80s. The guy got 93,000+ people to show up IN PERSON to watch him wrestle. Nobody else can say that. A lot of guys have been "over" but Hogan was beyond that. He singlehandedly brought pro wrestling into mainstream popular culture.

Yeah, like I said I wasn't around to experience "Hulkamania" at it's peak, but I was getting into wrestling soon after his heel turn, and even though he was a "bad guy", he was still getting cheers across the country and was the biggest name and draw in WCW. And, when he returned to WWE, people marked out for him like no one I had seen before, but I didn't know if it was more of a nostalgia thing (much the way they erupt when someone like Brock or Bret Hart or Mick Foley returns).

I know that for that one year span, Goldberg got some of the biggest pops I've ever heard from a wrestling crowd.

The only pops I've ever heard that compared were when Triple H returned from his first quad surgery, the first time The Rock returned, and several times during Austin's peak in the late '90s.

Cincinnati Reds

UNC Tarheels

Twitter: @st0rmb11

PS4
Old 10-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Supreme

Streets's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55

I think this is the only acceptable answer. In many ways, Hogan did for pro wrestling what MJ did for basketball (I guess that would make Vince David Stern, lol).

The more fair question would be who would be #2. I'd go with Austin as the second biggest star ever.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

No question about it, it was Hogan. He was and always will be the most famous professional wrestler of all time.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
MVP

fpac's Arena

OVR: 15
Hogan #1 easily. And I'd agree that Austin was #2.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Yup Hogan.

I'd actually go with Bruno for #2. Just going on what's been written about him but he certainly seems to be up there especially considering the timeframe.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

It's hard to justify voting for anyone other than Hogan/Austin. Hulk Hogan however wins based on the length of his run not only in WWF but also in WCW. Austin however made WWF the hottest thing in '98, so I could understand some people voting him if they weren't really around and living in the 80's when Hulk Hogan was untouchable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »