Home

What is Hockey Ultimate Team exactly?

This is a discussion on What is Hockey Ultimate Team exactly? within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
What is Hockey Ultimate Team exactly?

OK this is very much a noob question, but can someone explain from a high level that HUT is all about and the point of it? I did several search and watched youtube "intro to HUT" videos, but they all assume some basic knowledge about HUT and what its about.

I'm a bit lost. You get cards and build a team? Are you competing against online teams or the cpu or ...? I just don't get it and hoping someone can fill me in. Thanks!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Rookie

Steve Danger's Arena

Re: What is Hockey Ultimate Team exactly?

Just read the manual that came with the game!

Oh, wait a minute...
Old 10-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 13

Or better yet.

http://www.easports.com/nhl/feature/...-ultimate-team
Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Banned

tofubrain2's Arena

OVR: 10

a ridiculous cash-grab from the folks at EA IMO. Hate the mode, I can't stand the players online so it really doesn't appeal to me.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
Banned

Minus 80's Arena

OVR: 0

I find the online play in HUT better than any other mode by a long shot. And it wasn't like this before. But this year's HUT really benefits from the new skating engine, as it really seems to limit the advantage of having a stacked team.

HUT is basically a collectible card game in which you play with the guys you have collected. As you play games you earn pucks which you use to buy more packs of cards.

The reason it is a cash grab is that you can pay for packs with Microsoft Points. And while you don't have to, it can get pretty tricky to keep your team functional as you have to use contract cards on guys to keep them playing. Depending on how well you play, you might earn enough pucks to keep your team going, or you may run out.

There is actually a lot of fun strategy to building your team. If you fill a line with guys from the same division or team, they get boosts in their play. More for the same team than division.

It's worth checking out, as you can get started for free, and see if it is something you like. Also, if you run out of players and contracts, you can always delete and start over instead of buying more cards. If you don't like it, there are plenty of other modes to play. Don't worry, if you don't like it, you are not required to act like a baby and post about how stupid it is that other people like different things than you.

You can play offline or online. You get more pucks playing online. Offline you can use your team to play any team in the game, or you can play one of four semi-randomly picked HUT teams. One will be bit better, one a bit worse, and one about the same as yours. the fourth is a tema in the Top 100. You earn more pucks for playing better teams and on higher difficulties.

Some people get bummed out because there are a lot of guys that spend a ton of money building awesome teams, and if you go the moneyless route, you will mostly be playing teams better than you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
Rookie

BigDisk's Arena

OVR: 3

About the money less route

My team is 4 1/2 star, using mostly MTL Canadiens players. I bought a single Ultimate pack when I started with leftover MS Points.

The problem with the moneyless route is the contracts. You have to acquire all of them via Auction trades and most people are extremely stupid and bid more than what a contract is worth.

Let me explain how I price a contract:

22 players per game = 22 contracts used for every game played.
Let's say the average online games earns you 500 pucks (more when you win, less when you loose) for the sake of simplicity.

Your goal is to make money every game, but contracts are your expenses. So obviously cannot pay more than 500 pucks for 22 contracts if you want a sustainable team, because salary expenses would be greater than HRR .

Yet, some stupid people keep on bidding more than 100 pucks for a 6 game contract.

22 / 6 game contracts = 3.66 cards per game. So basically for each game you play, you need to buy between 3 and 4 six contracts cards.
500 / 3.66 = 136 pucks max per winning bid, in order to stay sustainable. Let's round that to 100 pucks because you can only bid 100 or 150 pucks, and 150 pucks would mean being in deficit.

[BTW, when paying 100 pucks for a 6 game contracts, your team expenses are 366 pucks per game (100 / 6 * 22) which means you'll only have a net profit of 133 pucks which is really not that good if you want to improve your team by bidding on cards : it would take you arround 75 games played to generate enough profits for a Max Pacioretty arround 10k pucks.]

Yet, 95% of the contracts that I bid on (usually 50 or 100) are outbid and end up being won by 150+ pucks bids.

So, basically, because of idiots (or card flippers), it takes forever to auction decent priced contracts. I always find some, but it takes 100 bids to get 5 decently priced contracts. So I end up doing more aunction than playing games.

All that being said, I do understand that a lot of people have a ****load of pucks because they sell cards that they obtained via packs, hence inflating the market price for contracts.

Last edited by BigDisk; 10-17-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Rookie

BigDisk's Arena

OVR: 3

Oh, and I must confess, I did flip a ton of cards for higher prices in order to get a better team. That's about the only way to get success using the moneyless route.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Rookie

Love the mode but it's 2nd time I'm losing all training I've applied to my players. Their rating are back to original state.

Happened twice in 2 weeks. Very frustrating. Anybody had the same?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »