Home

Edit player position

This is a discussion on Edit player position within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Banned

throckmeisterz's Arena

OVR: 2
Edit player position

So, now that we have been oh so graciously permitted by the almighty EA to edit players, I got really excited for a moment. Would I finally be able to change Clay Matthews' position to LE, where I've been playing him? Nope. Just from ROLB to LOLB. Ok, I understand that there's solid reasoning behind the decision not to allow us to change say a WR to CB or something super cheesy like that, but changing an OLB to a DE is not only reasonable, but happens every year in the NFL. EA even acknowledges this; for example, Shawn Merriman was a OLB in Madden 12, and he's a DE in 13. Also, for my more serious running teams, I like to play a tackle at TE; the game allows this, but I can't change that tackle's position to TE, so I can't develop his catching skills at all. I'm not asking to allow the free editing of player ratings like in Madden 12, but let's be reasonable here. I should be able to make an OLB into an MLB (this, too, has precedent in Madden: see Brian Cushing's position over the last few years). For that matter, why can't I use a SS as a linebacker? I did this last year with Taylor Mays and had a lot of fun with it. The game doesn't even allow you to edit a TE into a WR or an OG into an OT or C. I haven't looked at every position yet, but it doesn't look like you can make any meaningful positional switches.

I understand that the skills a player can develop and their cost depend on that player's position, but I have an (I think) extremely simple solution: 1. allow all positions to develop every skill, 2. keep track of a player's original position and determine skill point costs according to original position and not current position, 3. make completely out-of-position skills astronomically expensive (like a point in man coverage should cost a WR 4-5 times what it costs a CB). This solution would allow free and reasonable position editing without allowing for too much cheesing.

Last edited by throckmeisterz; 10-16-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Rookie

B_MYLES's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Edit player position

I dont know why they just didnt tab certain players as "Hybrid" players.

Kind of like NCAA has the ATH position. Make it to where players that actually play more than one positon can play it (within there talents) or how they fit best in a scheme (DE in a 4-3 defense or OLB in a 3-4)
Old 10-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
MVP

BrianM207's Arena

OVR: 3

Are you in a pre-exisiting CCM?(prior the the patch I mean). If so I believe, I could be wrong but I think I read it somewhere, that in CCM(pre-exisiting or new)that you'll only be able to switch players from one side to the other(I.E. ROLB to LOLB, RE to LE, etc). However, outsideof CCM(when editing a custom roster)you can switch them to whatever you want(provided it doesnt out the team below the min). II did it lastnight and restarted my CCM
Old 10-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0
Stupid.. I want to move mccluster to halfback
Old 10-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
Rookie

Vizen's Arena

OVR: 6

I was just happy I could change Hillis to FB. Just note that I did this before I started an offline franchIse, pretty sure it wouldn't let me do that in season...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Rookie

OregonianTexan's Arena

OVR: 1

When playing offline you can import your edited rosters and do it like that.
I switched Chris Clemons and Bruce to OLBs to fit my 3-4 scheme, instead of DEs.
But yes, for online CCM, you're screwed.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
Rookie

AftershockFx's Arena

OVR: 6

It would have been nice if they made the OL, DL, LB and S interchangeable. For example last year Al Woods of the Steelers was listed as a DT in one of the roster updates but is a LE this year. It would also be nice to switch HB's to FB, or switch a TE to FB or even switch a CB so SS or FS.
MLB: Pittsburgh Pirates
NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins
Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #8
Banned

throckmeisterz's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AftershockFx
It would have been nice if they made the OL, DL, LB and S interchangeable. For example last year Al Woods of the Steelers was listed as a DT in one of the roster updates but is a LE this year. It would also be nice to switch HB's to FB, or switch a TE to FB or even switch a CB so SS or FS.
All completely realistic and reasonable switches... To me the most baffling thing of all is the o-line. You can switch sides (RG to LG) but nothing else (no RG to C or RT), and, in the depth chart, you can play a C at OT, but you can't play an OT at C or OG. Also, if I remember correctly you can't even play an OG at OT. This is not only completely asinine but can also cause major depth problems: on my first fantasy draft team, I had only 1 LG, 2 C, and 2 RG, but I stocked up on tackles, having like 3 of each; I soon discovered that I had to pick up another interior lineman to have enough players--absolutely ridiculous.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »