Home

does anyone else feel like the defensive sig. skills are somewhat meaningless?

This is a discussion on does anyone else feel like the defensive sig. skills are somewhat meaningless? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 10
does anyone else feel like the defensive sig. skills are somewhat meaningless?

I know that online gameplay has never emphasized defensive skill sets, but I just feel like there's something seriously goofy about this game when you've got guys with tons of defensive buffs like Dwight Howard getting dunked on three or four times a game by right-stick skilled Dwyane Wade users. It's not 2006, and Dwight's not exactly a small man. He shouldn't be cowering under Wade's awesome might, he should be crushing that little punk and throwing him to the ground.

Normally I play as the 76ers, Nuggets or Knicks, but I'm constantly amazed at Dwight's lack of presence around the rim on defense (or any renowned defender - Chandler, McGee's block skill, Ibaka, Noah, and so on)/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: does anyone else feel like the defensive sig. skills are somewhat meaningless?

I think a couple of the defensive Sig skills are the most powerful in the game.

Then again online might be different than offline, so idk.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: does anyone else feel like the defensive sig. skills are somewhat meaningless?

the only def sig skills I don't feel much are chasedown artist and eraser.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #4
Pro

Austin Rivers dunking on Asik like he was playing against Binghamton. smh.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #5
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

I play with mostly the Hawks, I can't recall a single chasedown block by Smith.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
Pro

mpac's Arena

OVR: 1

I can do the chasedown with lebron but noticed that even battier has lots of defensive sig skills, all thr players he guard usually scores more than usual.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #7
Pro

Speedy_Bronco's Arena

I really can't say anything about this. Since I play really good D. As for D-wade dunking on people as if it was 2004, what kind of sliders are you using? I used to have the same problem with people doing dunks that they shouldn't, until I started using mkharsh's sliders. The Defensive Skills work well too. You guys sure you are using them when in the correct situation? Chasedown Artist requires really good timing, and the player has to be on the same side of the ball, or else it isn't gonna work. Eraser only takes effect when you actually block a shot. Not when attempting to.

Last edited by Speedy_Bronco; 11-02-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy_Bronco
I really can't say anything about this. Since I play really good D. As for D-wade dunking on people as if it was 2004, what kind of sliders are you using? I used to have the same problem with people doing dunks that they shouldn't, until I started using mkharsh's sliders. The Defensive Skills work well too. You guys sure you are using them when in the correct situation? Chasedown Artist requires really good timing, and the player has to be on the same side of the ball, or else it isn't gonna work. Eraser only takes effect when you actually block a shot. Not when attempting to.
I'm just speaking on the online game; I usually wait a month or three to start playing offline, if at all, depending roster and slider sets. Back in 2K8 or 2K9, when Ron Artest was on the Kings, you could play as a team with solid offensive players and a lockdown defender (the Magic, of course, fit into this as well) and shut down a great offensive team if you just played solid defense and let your guys do their thing. Over the past three years this has more and more not been the case, and this year feels like the worst offender so far. There was a lot of talk about defensive abilities leading up to this game's release, but I try to use the lockdown D and I predict accurately with the right stick where these guys are moving, but they just keep dribbling and dribbling and eventually I get an auto-animation that moves me out of place, and then they get a free lane right over [insert lowpost defender]'s face. It just doesn't make sense.

Like I said sarcastically in the last post, I just lost to the Hornets with the Rockets by 5 points not because of any exceptional strategy from my opponent, but because Austin Rivers was triggering dunk animations (I still don't understand how this happens by the way, I always get bricked layups even with LeBron when I try) 12 feet from the basket that made Omer Asik, a man three times Rivers' size, cower in fear.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »