Home

Nonsensical Financial Stuff

This is a discussion on Nonsensical Financial Stuff within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Wink Nonsensical Financial Stuff

When I started a career in KC I had two players with sizable contracts (and penalties if cut them) retire during training camp. I was surprised that I was not assessed any penalty for the amortized bonuses.

Early in my KC stay Vernon Gholston popped up for bids near the end of training camp. I got him for one year for $5.6M. He wouldn't help me much at OLB but he was a big improvement at MLB so I moved him. This had the beneficial effect of having him renegotiate in season as a MLB. He took about $6M over 6 years!!! I wouldn't want his agent!!!

Same agent must have been working for X. Omon tonight. His cap value was $1.5M in the last year of his contract, maybe $250K or so was prepaid bonus. He signed a new deal for $1.5M over three years!!! No bonus but he got some impossible incentives.

I'm pretty sure IRL the contracts are paid 1/17th a week during the season so when Omon signed his new deal his weekly paycheck would have gone from about $65K to $30K!

As an aside, I was shocked I could get him for a such nominal amount. He was an OVL 73 as a power back (I checked and he would be a 71 if I preferred balanced HB.) Most HB want millions to sign more than a 1 year deal so my backup HBs are usually rentals or young players on their original contracts.

I only keep him around because I had him as a 6th or 7th round draft pick in the beginning of this career. I have always liked the results I got from him a lot more than the ratings say I should. This year he is my 4th HB but in other years he has been as high as 2nd and always got decent results.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
One question how did u move an OLB to MLB I can't seem to do it on the player edit screen?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Rookie

shadowman's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Nonsensical Financial Stuff

You can change your own OLB to MLB in the roster screen.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
Pro

edward_1385's Arena

OVR: 12

Yeah I've had that agent working some crazy deals in my games as well... But, alas this game is still better than any Madden I have ever played...
Old 02-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

certain positions are just worth less value to the team, according to the game.

MLB is worth less than OLB. both of them are worth less than DE, and all 3 positions are worth less than DT. That is, the -same- player may be, let's say, a 90 ovl at all 4 positions, but ask for more at DT than he would at DE, and more as a lineman than he would as a linebacker.

LT is worth more than any other offensive line position. Center is worth slightly less than any other offensive line position.

FS is worth less than SS, and both are worth less than CB.

FB is worth far far less than TE or HB.

This isn't just in free agent contract negotiation either. you'll see it come up in free agency to determine when players pop up for bidding, during seasonal player trades, and draft day trades.

If you want, you can totally use this to game the system, by dropping a player to a "cheaper" position right before contract negotiation, and changing them back right afterwards. it will reset their "production" stat (which can actually help you in contract negotiations if they have a particularly good production stat), but it won't hurt their play knowledge, potential, or anything else. You could also change, let's say, an 85 ovl FB to an 81 OVL TE and get more in a trade for him than you would if you traded him as a FB, so on and so forth. The ultimate version of this is doing something like changing Tom Brady from a 98 QB to a 69 WR, trading -for- him giving up only like a few 6th/7th round picks, changing him back to QB to use as your QB, or changing him back to QB and trading him right out again for 1st round picks.

Warning, doing any of this can impact your enjoyment of the game long term. I've sworn off of most of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

Actually what amused me was that a player would give up a 1 year $6M deal for a 6 year $6M deal.

I exploited many of the "bugs" before I figured out I want the game to be harder, not easier! I did a lot of CB and FS shifts to influence negotiations in my first career.

I don't move players to get cheaper prices anymore but if I want to move a player to make my team better and I end up with a better price, oh well. I'm having enough trouble keeping the game challenging without exploiting that bug!

I had a FB/TE move come up that I felt a bit guilty about. I was shopping in the FA pool for a second FB. I ran across a guy that was 6" 4" 240 lbs. I thought maybe he would play TE better than most FBs. After I signed him I could see from the depth chart that he would not only do as a TE in a pinch but he would make a damn good emergency HB (71 OVL).

Then I abused the system a bit. I delayed moving him to TE until after his renegotiation started. Got a 6 year low price deal. Now he's my #3 TE, 67 my #3 FB 77 and most games my #4 HB 71 and he plays on all my special teams!

And why, you might ask, would someone need 2 FB and 3 TE? Special Teams. The CPU assigns 2 FB and 2 TE to KO and KO return. If you have a fragile #1 TE (ie; Gonzalez or Cooley) you don't want him playing ST. If your available number of TE and FB is low enough you may even find your starting QB on the KO return squad.

You can shuffle in backup LBs and Safetys maually if you have time but fatigue can cause unexpected substitutions.

Speaking of KO Return assignments, in NFL HC09 there are 5 OL on KOR. Do OL play on KOR IRL?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 1

5 ol in most madden on kor iirc

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »