Home

Please tell me what these four sliders do???

This is a discussion on Please tell me what these four sliders do??? within the NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 13
Please tell me what these four sliders do???

Layup Defense Strength TAKEOFF
Layup Defense Strength RELEASE
Jump Shot Defense Strength GATHER
Jump Shot Defense Strength RELEASE

I don't like making a thread on small things like this, but just really need some help~~~thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Pro

bigtreydawg's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Please tell me what these four sliders do???

For lay up take off and release the slider adjust how often you get that ugly animation where the player gets side ways in the air.

I find it laughable when slider makers turn these all the way up. Really? Are you even testing this ****.

For jump shots it controls how often you get the animation where the shooter looks like he rolled his ankle and falls down. That is for release, for gather I can not attest to seeing any difference. If anything close out speed is faster.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

In my experience, the takeoff/gather sliders affect how often you will get a contact shot animation (for layups) and a contested shot animation (for jumpshots). They also change how much just having a defender nearby (but not able to block/contest the shot) affects the likelihood of the shot going on.

The release sliders change the affect a defender has on the shot when he is contesting the shot at the point of release. It also seems to increase/decrease the likelihood of blocks.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:55 AM   #4
Pro

bigtreydawg's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricMeat
In my experience, the takeoff/gather sliders affect how often you will get a contact shot animation (for layups) and a contested shot animation (for jumpshots). They also change how much just having a defender nearby (but not able to block/contest the shot) affects the likelihood of the shot going on.

The release sliders change the affect a defender has on the shot when he is contesting the shot at the point of release. It also seems to increase/decrease the likelihood of blocks.
Sorry eccentric but I'm right on this.

I used your slider set at first before I made all my tendency edits and noticed a HUGE increase in that dumb animation. Drive contact shot frequency is gives all those contact animations. The lay up strength slider just makes lay ups look dumb
Old 03-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

I agree with Eccentric for the most part.

If you raise the jump shot release, you'll get more missed shots and air-balls. In other words the defensive pressure is stronger and effects the shooter more. The release and take-off slider effects the strength of the defense determined by when the defender arrives at the shooter. Is he getting there late or was he right on top of the shooter to begin with?

Same with the layup... the offense will miss more shots when this is raised.

Last edited by savantopus; 03-14-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 10

It manages the collision factors, the defensive factors, and the physic fields for those two factors. By factors i mean whatever algorithms used by the 2k developers that eventually equal defense and collision animations.

The 2k team broke down the scoring animations into 2 stages, one is the gather instance, which is its own seperate 'class' and then there is the release instance. If you increase the setting for a jumpshot "gather" then it basically increases the defensive intensity (which is further tweaked by defensive awareness, strength, and on-ball defense attribute, as well as a little by hands) on the gather increases.

Turn it all the way up and guy facing a shooter who is standing at the 3pt line, can effectively affect his shot heavily from say the ft line, by just pressing whatever command effects defense (LT on xbox 360, or holding up on right stick, or both)

With the layups its essentially the same thing, it will cause more altered layups if there are defenders near by even if they are not close enough to physically alter the shot.

The release then impacts in the same way but this time during the release portion of the shooting command. So if you lower this all the way down, a guy can be holding the defense button and have his hands up (so long as the hands rating isnt high enough to actually interact with the ball) and have no effect on the shot or altering it. Ditto on layups.

By increasing this attribute at any point it also increases the collision factor. So if you leave it all the way down on gather, but raise it to the max on release, the guy will be able to get to the air, but then there will be more collision effects, higher chance of the ball being knocked away or blocked, and the animations selected will be the "ugly ones".

However, if you have on-ball defense extremely low, the shots are still viable to fall in despite the heavy collisions, just because of other factors.

Remember, no slider is actually absolute, they all play off one another in some shape or fashion.

If you want better animations when attacking the rim you want to impact the layup defense gather and releases.

I like keeping the gather on the shots and layup to be low, because i feel most nba players arent heavily effected by people running at them or just be nearing their shot (and on drives i figure most guys can find weird ways to get to the rim) but increase the release attribute quite a bit (because thats where shot defense truly should matter).

hope that helps
Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolomair
I like keeping the gather on the shots and layup to be low, because i feel most nba players arent heavily effected by people running at them or just be nearing their shot (and on drives i figure most guys can find weird ways to get to the rim) but increase the release attribute quite a bit (because thats where shot defense truly should matter)
couldnt agree no more. i like it up to the max, cos thats how i can have the defensive impact on cpu (making them miss shots). u know how cheesy the cpu is if all set 50 Lol
Old 11-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
Banned

HUSTLER_79's Arena

So for example if I lower the user sliders for laups gathrr strenght does that mean I get altered or the cpu ..and if I turn user sliders all the way does that mean cpu wont alter me ?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders »