Home

Guess Pitch changes

This is a discussion on Guess Pitch changes within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-05-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 7
Guess Pitch changes

So I knew there were some changes to Guess Pitch, but I guess I didn't realize that the options from 2012 and previous years were GONE. This sucks, and hopefully they change that for 2014, but now here is my question for the new system.

So it appears if you do Classic 1/4 and guess pitch type AND location, you have to nail them both for either to appear, I think. So does this mean if I JUST guess pitch type, I can be told if I am correct even though I didn't guess a pitch location at all?

I, like most people probably, guess the fastest pitch a pitcher has each time. If I had to pick between knowing it if was a fastball, or knowing if it was a pitch low in the zone, I'd take knowing it's a fastball. So should I JUST be guessing the pitch type, and NOT the location if I want to maximize the chances to know if it's a fastball or not? That's my strategy right now, but I have no idea if it's even feasible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Guess Pitch changes

So it seems the indication that I guessed the pitch correctly is a subtle "bing" noise right as the pitcher releases the ball.

Is that a joke? By the time I even hear the beep sound, it is too late to change if I should be ready for a fastball or an offspeed pitch. It's not helpful at all, really. It DOES appear my theory of not guessing a location and being rewarded with the pitch type more often is correct, but since I have almost no time to react after the subtle "bing" sound, it is pointless.

Why did they have to take away the option we have all been used to? Or is it in here somewhere I am missing it?
Old 03-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #3
MVP

ermgagerd, same thing when you only guess pitch location, it shows you the indication as the pitch is being released. NOT enough time to make a decision. If they wanted to make hitting easier in this game, they shouldn't have made this aspect harder, or at least left the option. I have already struck out 5 times in 3 games. I usually strike out about 5 times in a month in previous show games, and I was still only hitting .270-280 in those.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
All Star

RGmoney's Arena

OVR: 19

See Russell's response to a similar question in the Q&A thread. Post#398: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2044768218
Old 03-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGmoney
See Russell's response to a similar question in the Q&A thread. Post#398: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2044768218
Well that's a shame.

It's fine that they changed the settings so you get better results when you make contact, but you still have to time it right for that to make a damn difference. The most important thing for success was plate discipline. If you can know when to expect the heat, and focus on only 75% of the pitching area, you can do a lot better than just getting more balls to land in your favor or adding a slightly bigger contact window timing. I'd rather swing at the right pitches than get more luck this year.

Last edited by JoeCoolMan24; 03-05-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2013, 04:26 AM   #6
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGmoney
The new GP makes complete sense from a design point, but only on the default settings I feel. Balancing out the "easier" difficulty the game has on default.

But what if people want to play on a harder difficulty with harder sliders? Those who do this might want MLB 12 level of difficulty with the old GP.

The Show has always been about options, not removing control schemes (which can drastically affect difficulty) and other settings. So I was very surprised that they changed GP without leaving the old style in.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:35 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
The new GP makes complete sense from a design point, but only on the default settings I feel. Balancing out the "easier" difficulty the game has on default.

But what if people want to play on a harder difficulty with harder sliders? Those who do this might want MLB 12 level of difficulty with the old GP.

The Show has always been about options, not removing control schemes (which can drastically affect difficulty) and other settings. So I was very surprised that they changed GP without leaving the old style in.
Taking out GP (let's face it, that's almost exactly what they did), but making your results more favorable isn't changing much. In one aspect they made the game easier, in then in another, they made it harder by removing GP.

I've never swung and missed so many fastballs than I am right now, and I am swinging at a ton of pitches low and even in the dirt. I wouldn't say this is a game ruiner for me, but it will DEFINITELY hurt my offensive success in the long run, and it already has.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #8
Pro

etched Chaos's Arena

OVR: 4

I used the old GP for plate discipline more than any need to hit better. I'm an atrocious free-swinger because it's almost impossible for me to curb my want to swing on every pitch. With the old GP I'd be able to remove 25% of the strikezone when seeing pitches, thus enabling me to be more patient. With this new system, I've had to abandon GP and instead swing at everything because the timing of the notifications is so late it's distracting.

So because they made hitting easier for the lower difficulties they made GP harder to compensate which to me is ridiculous, as I'm sure most people used GP as a method of seeing more pitches than actually making hitting easier. I'm sure i'll no doubt get told that I'll be a better hitter without it, but I don't agree, I can't for the life of me stop swinging on every pitch, no amount of playing without GP will remove that. With the old system I had a method that worked, sure it might piss off online players who hate anything that be construed as an 'advantage' but I never play online so it never occurred to me that GP was an online 'exploit'.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »