Home

Hitting Advice Needed...

This is a discussion on Hitting Advice Needed... within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Rookie

sox73b3's Arena

OVR: 5
Hitting Advice Needed...

I have tried Beginner mode and my problem is not making contact it is being able to recognize pitches coming out of a pitchers hand.

I would like to get some deeper counts and be able to take a 2 strike pitch. I used to rely on guess pitch for this, but I don't know if you heard, but that kinda sux now.

Anybody have any tips on how to read pitches? Do you always take the first pitch?

The more I play the better I will get but I am looking for a little help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Hitting Advice Needed...

My suggestion is trying a different camera, perhaps creating a custom one. I have one offset the inside part of the strike zone, and it makes for a more realistic approach to righty-righty/lefty-righty/righty-lefty/lefty-righty matchups.

I know this is a video of mine from MLB 12: The Show, but this is just about the same camera that I use in MLB 13 as well (or at least I tried to replicate it by eye). It feels much more rewarding when you walk for the first time after saying that you've successfully eyed your pitches correctly. And keep in mind I have the pitch speed at 8 or 9 in this video:

As far as "house rules" though, last year for a while, at least on Vita, I told myself to take until I got a strike the first time through the lineup. That way, hopefully the CPU will have thrown enough first pitch balls to keep his confidence kind of fair or at even keel, instead of shooting up immediately and making it impossible to have come back down. You should try that for a while too.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

A camera angle that is lower helped me a lot...I think for this year I went to catcher 4 right away, but I'll probably tinker with it a bit as time goes on. Beyond that, I read a post here last year from someone saying to stare at a pitchers hat during the windup...and you'll see the ball better out of their hand. It seemed to help me out some, but I still get fooled more than the next guy.

I always try to take the first strike, unless I see a seriously fat pitch. I've heard some guys take until they get 2 strikes. Everyone has their own way.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

Old guy chiming in here.

Hit with the Offset Camera.
Move the Pitch Speed to 0. That's right, turn it right down to zero.
Move the Pitcher Control and Consistency down to 3 (three).. This means two clicks from default to the left.

Result:

Better idea of how pitches are moving, because you can actually see the break and the rotation of the ball.
Better idea of the strickzone, based on the above.
Better chance of squaring up the ball because of the ability to recognize a hittable pitch and get on it.
Better representation of the CPU pitcher hitting spots, and not being able to paint corners with his consistency turned down.

If you keep an eye on the Slider Forum, I will be posting my set of Sliders that includes the above pitching, a perfect representation of the speed of fielders and their arms, baserunner speed, etc... so that the game plays as close to real life as possible.

This includes making the pitches able to be read, and thereby making you take more pitches before you get something to hit, as well as watching the pitch counts rise for the CPU.

~syf
Old 03-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Rookie

sox73b3's Arena

OVR: 5

All great suggestions, Thank You.

I will definitely try some of this tonight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
Old guy chiming in here.

Hit with the Offset Camera.
Move the Pitch Speed to 0. That's right, turn it right down to zero.
Move the Pitcher Control and Consistency down to 3 (three).. This means two clicks from default to the left.

Result:

Better idea of how pitches are moving, because you can actually see the break and the rotation of the ball.
Better idea of the strickzone, based on the above.
Better chance of squaring up the ball because of the ability to recognize a hittable pitch and get on it.
Better representation of the CPU pitcher hitting spots, and not being able to paint corners with his consistency turned down.

If you keep an eye on the Slider Forum, I will be posting my set of Sliders that includes the above pitching, a perfect representation of the speed of fielders and their arms, baserunner speed, etc... so that the game plays as close to real life as possible.

This includes making the pitches able to be read, and thereby making you take more pitches before you get something to hit, as well as watching the pitch counts rise for the CPU.

~syf
Nice cant wait for these sliders. When will they be completed? These sound great!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack4070
Nice cant wait for these sliders. When will they be completed? These sound great!!!!!!!!!!
I have two more games to play for testing, and then I will post them.

So far, the games I have played have been great, with Homers coming on balls that were squared up perfectly, and realistic results with regards to solid hits, pitch counts, etc...

Animations play perfectly, as the fielder speed is lower, thereby erasing the herky jerky movements caused by reaction being too high, you get to see the AWESOME footwork in the animations, (big props to the design team for fielders rounding up on balls.. you baseball players know what I am talking about, in both the infield and outfield.)

My slider set is based on real-world translations to the game, and how it is played. When Saltalamacchia hits a ball down the line that two hops the wall, and is perfectly played by an outfielder, the ball should be arriving at second base at about the same time Salty is.

When Brett Gardner hits one to the gap in right center, he will have a triple, but it is not always dependant on his blazing speed, so I made the sliders to all work in conjunction with one another.

If you lower the baserunner speed, you can lower the arm strength of the fielders. If you lower the reaction time, you need to lower their speed as well. So what happens is testing and looking at replays, and deciding, "If this happened in real life, did the Cyber Player X's fielding, setting, throwing, footwork, etc... match up to the result with Cyber Player Y as the batter?"

When it does, and when you say, "Wow, that is just like it should have happened", you get a perfect set of sliders, and a game that mimics real life.

How do you beat that?

~syf
Old 03-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
My suggestion is trying a different camera, perhaps creating a custom one. I have one offset the inside part of the strike zone, and it makes for a more realistic approach to righty-righty/lefty-righty/righty-lefty/lefty-righty matchups.

I know this is a video of mine from MLB 12: The Show, but this is just about the same camera that I use in MLB 13 as well (or at least I tried to replicate it by eye). It feels much more rewarding when you walk for the first time after saying that you've successfully eyed your pitches correctly. And keep in mind I have the pitch speed at 8 or 9 in this video:

As far as "house rules" though, last year for a while, at least on Vita, I told myself to take until I got a strike the first time through the lineup. That way, hopefully the CPU will have thrown enough first pitch balls to keep his confidence kind of fair or at even keel, instead of shooting up immediately and making it impossible to have come back down. You should try that for a while too.
This instanty helped me, thank you...
I was using Catcher Zoom but the problem I was having was not being able to judge the depth of the pitch or recognize the break since is was straight on... Also I sit a bit farther away from my TV than I prefer but its the room layout... Anyway I switched to Catcher Offset and instantly recognized pitches and speed/depth... I may tinker with it but I think an Offset view for me is best. That way you can judge the speed and break with also seeing where it is in over the plate. Thanks again!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »