Home

Bears Dynasty- Madden 13

This is a discussion on Bears Dynasty- Madden 13 within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Salary Cap Error: Do keep going or start over?
Keep going, no resigning or free agents till after the draft 3 75.00%
Start over, it just won't be the Bears without resigning 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
Bears Dynasty- Madden 13

Chicago Bears Fire Lovie Smith

The Chicago Bears fired coach Lovie Smith on Monday, the team announced.

General manager Phil Emery will hold a news conference to discuss the coaching change on Tuesday morning.

The Bears already are targeting several candidates to replace Smith.
Chicago has asked for and received permission to interview Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy for its head coaching vacancy, a source told ESPN. McCoy will interview this weekend.

Atlanta Falcons' special teams coordinator Keith Armstrong also will be interviewed by the Bears, a source told ESPNChicago.com. Armstrong was on the Bears staff from 1997-2000 while Emery was a scout for the Bears from 1998-2004. They also overlapped with the Falcons.

The Bears have asked for and received permission to interview Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan this week, the team confirmed.

Smith, meanwhile, already has been contacted by four teams interested in having him interview for a head coaching position, a source told ESPN. No interviews are being set up at the moment because most teams are talking to assistants who are available and coaches who are involved with the bye week of the playoffs. Those teams are expected to contact Smith later to set up formal interviews, the source said.

The Bears missed the playoffs for the fifth time in the last six seasons. The Bears finished 6-10.

As reports of Smith's ouster started to surface on Twitter, Bears quarterback Jay Cutler was doing "The Jay Cutler Show" on ESPN 1000 and had to leave early. "I think it's going to be a sad day at Halas Hall," Cutler said. "I have a lot of respect for the guy. He's made friends with a lot of the players. He's a players' coach. I think right now I'm a little surprised, a little sad. Wish I could have done more offensively to help him out."

Smith's Offenses Sputtered

The Bears struggled offensively under Lovie Smith -- a former defensive coordinator. Eleven different quarterbacks started for Chicago since Smith's first season in 2004 and the Bears' offense has struggled to move the ball, with only the Browns averaging fewer yards per game during that time period.

Fewest yards per game, since 2004

TeamYPG
Browns286.9
Bears292.6
49ers293.3
Bills297.0
Raiders309.9
-- ESPN Stats & Information

Bears receiver Devin Hester was so emotional after hearing the news that he talked about retiring. "I don't even know if I want to play again," Hester said. "That's been something on my mind for two years."

Brian Urlacher has been one of Smith's strongest defenders and said Monday he was "shocked" by the news. "Sure we didn't win 10 games ... we didn't finish up the way we wanted to. We didn't get in the p layoffs," he said on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "We still won some big games."

"It's just tough for me to really figure out right now. But Lovie is a great coach and I'm sure he'll get hired pretty quick. No one could do with this team what he's done the last nine years. We went to the Super Bowl, we didn't win, we went."

Urlacher agreed to a long term deal last season, but he maintained he didn't want to play for another coach. So time will tell what he does. Reports are that he is considering retiring.

Smith addressed the players at Halas Hall. "(He said) just that it was a privilege to coach us and be part of this organization," center Roberto said. "There are a lot of guys that respect coach Lovie Smith. It was a tough room to be in. "There are a lot of opportunities out there for him. Obviously he wants to be here but that's not the scenario. Coach Lovie Smith is a great coach and a great man and he'll get an opportunity somewhere."

The 54-year-old Smith, who led the Bears to the Super Bowl after the 2006 season, was 77-67 over eight regular seasons and was 3-3 in the playoffs. Smith was under contract through 2013, and Emery did not engage the coach in contract talks on an extension during the season.
Bears assistants, which all remain under contract, were told to stay at Halas Hall in their respective offices until further notice. By noon CT, nothing had changed.

According to one NFL source, there's a feeling among the assistants that eventually they'll all be let go. The source said that with Smith out, some of the assistants don't want to return in 2013 to work for a new coach.

Smith was particularly criticized for Chicago's struggles on offense. Despite having a Pro Bowl receiver in Brandon Marshall and solid players in Cutler and running back Matt Forte, the Bears ranked 28th in total offense. Smith was a defensive coach, but Cutler wouldn't say if he would prefer an offensive-minded coach to replace Smith.
"I've had both," Cutler said. "There's pluses and minuses to argue each case. I'm not going to give a preference on what I want, what I don't want because I don't really know at this point. I trust Phil and management and George (McCaskey) and those guys to make the best call. They're going to get the best possible head coach and assistant coaches and coordinators as they can. So you've just got to trust in that."

Last edited by kdmajoslin; 06-22-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Bears Dynasty- Madden 13

Bears Hire LSU Coach, Les Miles

The Bears shock everyone when they hire LSU Coach Les Miles to replace Lovie Smith.

NFL owners and general managers over the past few years have always been intrigued by LSU coach Les Miles, but something about Miles always made them hesitant: They thought he was a goofball.

The wacky, Mad Hatter rep made some NFL executives who considered hiring him nervous, I'm told. They weren't certain if he had the maturity to be an NFL head coach, so in the end, they stayed away.

For the Bears that opinion changed drastically. After interviews with several team executives, Miles vaulted near the top of the Bears list of possible head coaching candidates.

To be sure, there are still skeptics among NFL owners and GMs uncertain what to make of him, but that number is decreasing. Most now see Miles as someone who can lead an NFL franchise and would have definitely been pursued by teams in need of a head coach at the end of the season.

"He's the most intriguing coaching prospect I've seen in a long time," said one Chicago executive. "I think he has a great deal of talent and can deal with the modern athlete."

And that is what I've heard repeatedly about Miles from team executives. Their belief is that Miles is, as one told me, the next Jimmy Johnson in terms of knowing how to coach the 21st-century player. Take that comparison as you like, but to me there's no bigger compliment since Johnson deftly handled a Cowboys locker room full of gigantic egos.

Chicago executives also seem to be impressed with Miles' ability to build and maintain a top-level program. While the challenges and differences between professional and college are obvious -- the salary cap being the biggest -- Miles has made LSU into a staying power in the toughest conference in the country.

His weird play calls and unusual use of the English language -- not quite Bobby Bowden-like but in the same universe -- were once used against him, but are now being ignored. Winning will do that. There's also the fact he has NFL experience spending two years as tight ends coach of the Dallas Cowboys.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
MVP

Bears Expect Big Things From Offseason and NFL Draft

By Brad Biggs, Chicago Tribune reporter

As the Bears prepare for general manager Phil Emery's second NFL Draft, the hope is he and new head coach Les Miles will be able to find guys that will contribute immediately.

The Bears are expecting to see a big boost on both sides of the ball as defensive end Shea McClellin and wide receiver Alshon Jeffery move into bigger roles in their second seasons. McClellin has bulked up some as he has been able to train for football rather than predraft tests such as the 40-yard dash, bench press and agility drills. Jeffery looks leaner and was able to get behind the defense at minicamp Wednesday, a key for the success of the 6-foot-3 target who says he weighs about 218 pounds, appearing about 5 pounds lighter than last season.

Former coach Lovie Smith always said a player made his biggest gains between his first and second seasons, and the Bears are counting on Emery's first two picks being core contributors. McClellin was mostly a situational pass rusher who played 34.7 percent of the time in 2012 with 21/2 sacks. Jeffery is expected to compete for the starting spot opposite Brandon Marshall.

The Bears are looking for the passing game to be more diversified because pitch-and-catch between Jay Cutler and Marshall isn't going to open up new coach Les Miles system.

Miles pointed out improvement for young players also involves what's going on around them with a coaching change and, in Jeffery's case, a new playbook.

"They should be ascending certainly," he said. "Consistency of staff, consistency in working with coaches who can help them with their craft, not debilitating their development with new things. … (They need to be) doing all the right things and taking care of themselves."

McClellin said he has added 5 to 7 pounds and is about 258, meaning he was playing below his listed weight of 260 last season.

"I need to take a big step," McClellin said. "That is what I am planning on doing. … Still trying to get quicker and faster. Working on hands, everything in pass rush."

"He has pass-rush ability," defensive coordinator Mel Tucker said. "He's very conscientious about getting better every day. That's what I was told about him. I saw the ability on tape and I see it here on the practice field. I'm very encouraged. "He'll get what he earns, so we'll see."

Gaining separation at the line of scrimmage remains the key for Jeffery. He had his moments as a rookie, catching 24 passes for 367 yards (team-high 15.3 average) and three touchdowns. He has studied himself on film and said he benefited from time spent in Florida working out with Marshall.
"The sky is the limit for me," Jeffery said. "We are going to see."

A source within the Bears organization has confirmed that Chicago has made Free Agent offers to the following players:

HB Steve Slaton- coaches are reportedly intrigued by his speed and feel that he can definitely be a productive backup for Matt Forte. The Dolphins are also reportedly interested.
RG Chad Rinehart- Rinehart is getting very little attention from the rest of the league, which definitely works in favor of the Bears, a team the reportedly isn't at the top of Rinehart's wishlist.

FB John Connor- The Bears think Conner could be the guy to help Forte get through the line better.

The Bears have many holes to fill in the NFL Draft.

Chicago would like to pickup a young QB to develop, but they aren't sold on the talent available in this years draft. The guys they like are all expected to go in the first two rounds. Look for the Bears to pick someone up in free agency.

The Bears locked up Matt Forte to a 6 year deal, and with Mike Bell in place, HB isn't a major concern. Chicago does have a gaping hole at fullback, that they hope to fill with John Connor, but if that doesn't work out, look for Chicago to try to find someone late in the draft.

Chicago seems set at Wide Receiver, with Brandon Marshall, Devin Hester, Alshon Jeffrey, Edgar Bennett and Eric Weems on the roster, the Bears probably will forgo picking a WR unless a particularly talented guy falls to them. There is talk that the Bears will move Weems to gain draft picks.

Kellen Davis and M. Spaeth are on the Bears roster, but Miles isn't excited about either. Coach Miles reportedly isn't excited about any of the Free Agent options, either. Although some say he may take a run at Martellus Bennett since he's the best option available. Look for the Bears to take a TE in the draft.

Chicago has only six offensive linemen under contract and none are considered to be standouts. The Bears are making a play for a few guys in free agency, but the smart money says they will also look to the draft to find more help.

Julius Peppers and Shea McClellin look to start, but after that the Bears only have Corey Wootton for depth. Chicago needs to find some guy's in the draft. Wootton may be traded to garner more draft picks.

Defensive Tackle looks good with Melton, Paea and Toeaina signed. Paea and Toeaina look set as backups. So expect the Bears to try to grab a DT in Free Agency or the draft.

Nick Roach, Brian Urlacher, and Lance Brggs are the only Chicago linebackers right now. I expect the Bears to definitely grab some linebackers in the draft. Urlacher is getting old, so MLB is a priority.

Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings are set to start at CB, but they are it. The Bears will need to definitely grab a young guy relatively high to groom to help in the Nickel and possible challenge for a starting job.

Major Wright is set at Strong Safety, but the Bears need a Free Safety and depth. Look for the Bears to think long and hard about taking a Safety early on in the draft.

Special Teams is set with Gould and Podlesh.

Regardless it will be an exciting off season and draft.

Last edited by kdmajoslin; 06-24-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
MVP

Around the NFL

Retirees:

Nevermore- Ravens MLB Ray Lewis retires. Little doubt he'll make it to the Hall of Fame.

Living Legend Calls It Quits- TE Tony Gonzalez retires after 16 seasons.

Living Legend Calling It Quits- CB Charles Woodson announced his retirement at a tearful press conference today.

WR Terrell Owens had hoped his career would have ended on a high note, but after spending all of last season waiting for a team to call, he is calling it quits.

HB Thomas Jones hanging up the cleats after 13 seasons in the NFL.

Draft Stories:

It was a tough season for TE Salem Woods out of Rutgers, but a top flight combine performance and a good Senior Bowl have pushed him to the top 15 in most mock drafts.

Is Tovar the Greatest? After a splendid Senior Bowl, scouts were rubbed the wrong way when South Carolina WR Emmitt Tovar announced he was the greatest of all time.

Great against the run, Oregon RE Cesar Williams was even better at pressuring QBs at the Senior Bowl.

Oregon LT Michael Etherton is expected to be a top 3 pick, but he said he refuses to play for three teams, and they "know who they are." Etherton continued to create buzz by telling scouts, "whoever drafts me will be winning a title in my first year."

There will be no combine for Georgia QB Louis Glover, but he will participate in a pro day. In addition, his injury is not fully healed, which played into his decision.

The Defensive Player of the Year Award has gone to standout CB Orlando Armstead out of Auburn.

Fastest 40 Ever- With the fastest 40 since 1989, Hawaii Satomi Sakamoto has some scouts thinking about him as a top 10 pick, durability issues or not. Sakamoto would be the first NFL player born in Japan. Sakamoto is making American Football popular in Japan and many NFL executives are talking about the marketing possibilities.

Lark is a cut above. Ross Lark won numerous collegiate accolades but will that translate to NFL success. Some mock drafts have him going at the #1 spot.

Georgia QB Louis Glover impressed scouts at his pro day and seems to be coming back from his injury.

New Coaches:

Brian Billick returns from retirement to take over in New England.

The Saints sent a not out to the press saying "We are thrilled to have Timothy Luu join the Saints as Head Coach."

Corey Jason named head coach by the Bengals as they try to change course after firing Marvin Lewis.

Last edited by kdmajoslin; 06-24-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
MVP

Chicago Bears Make Key Additions

DT Amobi Okoye explores free agency, but in the end comes home to the Bears. Okoye signed a 7yr deal worth $18.41M. He is expected to resume his starting role alongside Henry Melton.

Bills Guard Chad Rinehart agrees to a 6yr deal worth $15.96M. Rinehart had other offers, but he liked his chances to start in Chicago.

MLB Barrett Rudd agrees to a 7yr deal worth $8.4M to play backup LB in Chicago. Blackburn thought he'd get a lot more offers, but he just didn't.

HB Steve Slaton chooses the Bears over the crowded backfield of the Dolphins. Slaton takes a 6yr deal worth $4.2M.

Around the NFL

QB Jason Campbell will get a chance to start for the Vikings, who gave him a 3yr deal worth $9.54M.

QB Byron Leftwich will try to get his career moving in the right direction in Arizona. Leftwich signed a 2yr deal worth $6M.

HB Peyton Hillis joins the Ravens, getting $19.48M over 4yrs

HB Cedric Benson goes to Atlanta with a 5yr deal worth almost $23.2M

HB Danny Woodhead takes a 4yr deal worth $6.96M from the Bengals.

HB Tim Hightower gets a 4yr deal worth $6.4M to help backup Adrian Peterson in Minnesota.

FB Eric Lorig gets a 4yr deal worth $5.28M from the Cardinals.

FB John Connor turns down the Bears and takes a 1yr deal from the Texans worth $1.02M.

The Buffalo Bills give WR Greg Jennings a 5yr deal worth $30.55M.

The Lions add WR Braylon Edwards with a 4yr deal worth $10.76M.

WR Roy Williams moves to Indianapolis, signing a 4yr deal worth $12M.

Josh Cribbs is getting his job to be a starter in Green Bay signing a 4yr deal worth $13.58M.

TE Martellus Bennett signs with the Dolphins, getting a 4yr deal worth $25.2M.

The Colts making a couple of shocking pickups in TE D. Pitta and J. Shockey. Pitta got a 5yr deal worth $37.5M, while Shockey got a 3yr deal worth $5.4M. This deal makes one wonder what will happen to Colby Fleener and Dwayne Allen.

The Chiefs lock up LT Brandon Albert with a 6yr deal worth $50.4M.

The Broncos add LT Ryan Clady. He signs a 6yr deal worth nearly $60M.

The Packers steal LT W. Beatty from the Bears, giving him a 4yr deal worth $18M.

C Todd McClure gets nearly $6M a year when he signs a 5yr, $30M deal with the Cardinals.

C B. De LaPuente gets a 4yr deal worth $12M from the Jaguars.

The Dolphins bolster their O Line with RG B. Moore, locking him up with a 3yr deal worth $18M

The Eagles lockup DE Robert "Jumpy" Geathers with a 4yr deal worth $9.72M.

The Browns add DE Michael Bennett with a 4yr deal worth $18.88M.

The Raiders add DE A. Carter with a 3yr deal worth $16.29M.

DT S. Ellis gets $14.4M over 4yrs from the Broncos.

DT J. Fanene takes a 4yr deal for $8.52M from the Buccaneers.

Former Patriot DT Ty Warren gets a 4yr deal worth almost $12.12M form the Vikings.

The Browns add OLB Rocky McIntosh with a 4yr deal worth $12M.

OLB Thomas Howard signs a 5yr deal worth $28M from the Vikings.

The Browns add another OLB in D. Levy, who gets a 4yr deal worth $12.76M.

MLB James Laurinaitis turns down a bigger contract with the Bears and signs a deal with the Seattle Seahawks, getting $20.2M over 4yrs.

Chiefs add aging MLB E. Henderson with a 3yr deal worth $12.81M.

The Browns continue their Free Agency spending spree by adding CB Aqib Talib with a 5yr deal worth $44.15M. The Browns also added CB Nate Clements (4yr/$25.2M)

Atlanta CB Brent Grimes lands in Miami with a 5yr deal worth $42.3M. The Dolphins further shore up their Defensive Backfield with Cowboys CB Mike Jenkins (4yr/$7.2M)

CB Chris Houston goes to the Vikings for a 5yr deal worth $27.5M.

The Bengals catch CB Resean Mathis with a 4yr deal worth $25.2M.

CB Sean Smith goes to the Redskins, getting a 4yr deal worth $12.96M.

Colts add CB Derek Cox to the mix at DB (4yr/$21.6M)

CB K. Lewis lands in Tennessee (4yr/$15.6M)

Chiefs sign CB Marcus Trufant to a 4yr deal worth $15.6M

CB Aveion Cason signs with Tampa (4yr/$15.6M)

The Redskins lockup FS LaRon Landry with a 5yr deal worth $38.05M.

K J. Brown signs with the Colts for $4.59M over 3yrs.

Best Free Agents Still Available

QB Donovan McNabb
QB Vince Young
QB Derek Anderson

HB LeGarrette Blount
HB Rashard Mendenhall
HB Maurice Morris

FB W. Johnson

WR Randy Moss
WR Plaxico Burress
WR B. LaFell
WR J. Edelman
WR Chad Johnson

TE V. Shiancoe
TE T. Heap
TE B. Scaife

LT Sam Baker
LT Adam Goldberg

LG Chris Spencer- so I guess he should have taken the deal from the Bears.
LB Rex Hadnot

C S. Vallos
C J. Jackson

RG T. Moll
RG R. Wells

RT S. Heyer
RT J. Trueblood

DE Daryl Tapp
DE Junior Gallette
DE James Hall
DE L. Sidbury

DT D. Bryant
DT S. Paxson
DT N. Colliins
DT C. Hampton

OLB A. Curry
OLB S. Shanle
OLB S. Fujita
OLB W. Witherspoon
OLB G. Hayes

MLB G. Guyton
MLB B. Johnson

CB Sheldon Brown
CB Kelvin Hayden
CB Justin Tryon
CB P. Buchanon

FS J. Leonhard
FS M. Williams

SS Bob Sanders
SS Quintin Demps

K Mike Nugent
P Brad Maynard

Last edited by kdmajoslin; 06-24-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
MVP

2013 NFL Draft

Before the Draft coach Les Miles scrambles to acquire draft picks.

Chicago sends DT Toeiaina, LE Wootton, and a 5th round pick in 2014 to New England for the #24 pick.

The Browns also part with their 1st round pick (#16 overall) for FS C. Conte, FS B. Hardin and a 4th round pick in 2015.

Miami gives up their 2 3rd round picks and a 5th round pick for WR Eric Weems, G C. Rachal, and Chicago's 2nd round pick in 2014.

The Bears send FB Rodriguez and a 7th round pick in 2014 to the Bengals for 2 6th round picks in 2013.

HB Allen, TE Davis and a 3rd round pick convince Tampa Bay to part with the #25 pick overall.

The Bears add another 1st rounder (the Cardinals #6 overall pick) for HB Michael Bush, TE Spaeth, and a 4th round pick.

1st Round Selections

1-BUF- CB Orlando Armstead- Can Armstead win DPOY in the pros like he did in college?

2-ATL- QB Louis Glover- hard to understand this one, Glover is coming off an injury and the Falcons have Matt Ryan. With that said, the Experts are calling Glover a storybook. Battled through injury. Played in pain. Poised and capable leader.

3-MIA trades to STL- RE Cesar Williams- going to pair him with Chris Long to create a nightmare for opposing QBs

4-OAK- HB Mike Gadell

5-CIN- WR Emmitt Tovar- The Bengals have missed Chad Ochocinco's mouth, so they went and drafted a new walking ego. Hard to argue with his talent though.

6-CHI- LT Michael Etherton- Etherton has a mouth on him, but the Bears think he's got the skills to back it up.

7-BAL- TE Salem Woods- Woods was the best TE in this year's draft, but hard to imagine taking a TE at #7. Guaranteed money means guaranteed responsibilities.

8-STL- DT Sir Goins- Rams traded up to get this pick and they add another Defensive Lineman. Goins wasn't as highly rated as Ross Lark, who has been dropping, but the Rams think he will be a monster.

9-JAX-CB Victor Hayes- many experts think Hayes will be better than #1 overall pick Orlando Armstead.

10-MIN- ROLB Asher Smith- arguably the best OLB in the draft

11-PHI- DT Ross Lark- many mock drafts had Lark going #1, so the Eagles were stunned that he dropped to them here.

12-CAR-LG Troy Peterson

13-NE- LE Shane Gowder

14-DET- ROLB Forrest Williams

15- NO- HB Julian Vil- Vil was highly underrated, look for him to impress.

16-CH-CB ShelDon Campbell- looks to start at Nickel as a rookie and will be groomed to take over as a starter. Can Campbell live up to the hype?

17- MIA- WR Dee Minor- Miami hopes Minor will be the answer at WR

18-IND- LT Dontae Taylor- the second highest rated LT

19-HOU- HB Satomi Sakamoto- This kid ran a 4.21 at the combine, look for him to turn some heads backing up Arian Foster in Houston.

20-SEA- RT Stecolian Jefferson

21-MIN- RG Aaron Thompson

22-BUF trades to SEA- FS Serderius Hillard- Hillard was a top 10 pick on most mock drafts.

23- NYG- Nicholas Hull- 2nd best pash rusher

24-CHI- FS Jalen Thomas- a bit of a reach here, with most teams having Thomas as a 2nd rounder, but the Bears felt he was the best safety in the draft and they have a definite need.

25-CHI trades the pick to PIT- HB Jaquan Eatmon

26-KC- DT Austin McKnight

27-DEN- FS Randy Gwin

28- DAL- RE Darius Bryant

29- CHI- LG Brandon Jones- the Bears look to shore up their O Line.

30- HOU- WR Chris Hickman

31- CHI- MLB Tate Green- another reach here, but Coach Miles didn't want to risk Green slipping through his fingers with Urlacher contemplating retirement.

32-CLE- MLB Michael Kaiser

Bears Draft

2nd round, pick 29- SS Edward Robinson, Connecticut- The Bears think Robinson can challenge Major Wright for the starting job.

3rd round, pick #17 traded to Jacksonville for their 2nd round pick in 2014- the Bears didn't see anyone they had to have here, and hoped by trading down they'd gain a much needed pick next year- the Jaguars used this pick to take WR Shane McCormick

3rd round, pick # 29 traded to the Raiders for their 3rd round pick in 2014- the Bears valued the pick more than who they saw on the board. The Raiders take WR Willie Bruce

5th round, pick #29- FB Jacob Innes, Indiana- the Bears need a FB

6th round, pick #5- DT Tyler Taylor, Troy- the Bears hope Taylor can provide depth

6th round, pick # 24- CB Andrew Holmes, Louisville- he's a developmental guy, but the Bears like what they saw on tape.

6th round, pick #29- TE Ty Dingwell, Missouri W. State- Dingwell is a hail mary pass. The Bears need a TE and Dingwell was the best available this late in the draft.

7th round, pick #29- FB Brenton Fischella, FAU- hoping one of the FB's will work out as a starter.

Other Draft News

The Buccaneers didn't have a 1st round pick, but the still hit big with LT Rakkim Brown from Oregon State. Tampa got him at 2/25.

The Dolphins grab DT JaWuan Reese, FIU in the 2nd, taking him almost a full round ahead of when many thought he'd go. The Dolphins don't care, seeing Reese as the best DT in this years draft.

Last edited by kdmajoslin; 06-26-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
MVP

Chicago Bears Free Agents

As the Bears go into training camp, they still have a lot of holes and have invited the following players to training camp:

Rookie QB Lance Morris- Coaches are impressed with his arm strength and would like to sign him as a long term developmental project.

HB LeGarrette Blount- Blount is expected to compete with Steve Slaton to backup Matt Forte

WR Randy Moss- the Bears are hoping Moss still has something left in the tank and that Coach Miles can motivate him.

WR Ted Ginn Jr.- Chicago is expecting Ginn to challenge Devin Hester for the kick return job.

TE Matthew Mulligan and Bear Pascoe- both guys are known more as blockers than receivers.

LT Sam Baker- Baker is expected to compete for a starting job at RT against JaMarcus Webb and G. Carmi.

LG Kory Lichtensteiger- he will provide depth on the O Line.

DE's Daryl Tapp and Junior Gallette are expected to challenge Shea McClellan for the starting Left End position.

DT Casey Hampton is brought in to provide depth at defensive tackle.

OLB's Aaron Curry, Keith Rivers and Will Witherspoon are brought. Curry could challenge Nick Roach for the starting job on the weak side.

MLB Gary Guyton is brought in for depth.

CB Sheldon Brown is brought in battle rookie CB ShelDonn Campbell for the Nickel Back job.

FS Jim Leonhard is brought in to challenge rookie, FS Jalen Thomas.

Breaking News

Bears MLB Brian Urlacher Retires
Brian Urlacher announced his retirement from the NFL after 13 seasons Wednesday, ending what many believe was a Hall of Fame career as an iconic Chicago Bears linebacker.

"After spending a lot of time this spring thinking about my NFL future, I have made a decision to retire," Urlacher said in a statement he posted on Twitter. "Although I could continue playing, I'm not sure I would bring a level of performance or passion that's up to my standards. When considering this along with the fact I could retire after a 13-year career wearing only one jersey for such a storied franchise, my decision became pretty clear."

A friend of Urlacher commented, "Brian just had enough. He wasn't excited about playing for a new coach. When the Bears fired Lovie, that hurt him. Now it looks like the Bears are going into rebuilding mode. He doesn't need that. I mean he really well off, he doesn't need the money. I think he just wanted to retire on his own terms."

Last edited by kdmajoslin; 06-24-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
MVP

Bears Preseason

Week 1: Saints 49 @ Bears 28

Week 2: Bears 27 @ Packers 40

Week 3: Bears 22 @ Texans 51

Week 4: Vikings 10 @ Bears 27

As the preseason comes to an end, the Bears pick up a few castoffs from other teams.

The Bengals unexpectedly cut stud defensive tackle, Geno Atkins. The Bears sign him to a 1yr deal worth $4.1M.

The Bears also added talented young pass rushing defensive tackle Tyson Alualu, who was cut by the Jaguars.

Chicago added more depth on the defensive line by adding speedy Defensive End Lawrence Sidbury.

Not making the cut were: SS Craig Steltz, DT Casey Hampton, 6th round pick TE Ty Dingwell, 6th round pick DT Tyler Taylor and 7th round pick FB Brenton Fischella.

Last edited by kdmajoslin; 06-24-2013 at 05:26 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »