Home

How can 2k make the post game worth learning?

This is a discussion on How can 2k make the post game worth learning? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

OVR: 0
Question How can 2k make the post game worth learning?

Ive been playing ALOT of quick matches due to league activity going down like always after real nba season ends. We all see VIP shot % of opponents before tip off and i notice everyone i play has less than 3% of they shots taken in the post while they drive to the rim over 45% of the time. We all know the defensive rotations and paint contact in 2k13 are below standard because bigs with high defense awareness still dont step over to provide rim protection. With driving the rim being so effective , why even take the time to learn any post moves in this game? Community , aside from adding more contact to deter driving, what can 2k do fix this disparity? Hoe can they make the post game a vital part of the offense for some teams that's needed to be successful offline and online.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Personally, I use the post game due to the team I use. Honestly, it feels that the post game is a dying art. Even when I play IRL, it seems that people rarely want to play in the post. Everyone wants to be guards. I love playing in the post, because you'll be surprised how many options become available.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
MVP

d11king's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: How can 2k make the post game worth learning?

The post game is definitely a dying art, I prefer to play in the post than anything else, especially online when there is a user guarding me. Why? All the options and set of moves you can do to make your opponent look flat out silly, that's worth trying to learn. Sure anybody can isomotion for days and dribble back and forth until they're open, my momma can do that. What m mom can't do is catch the ball in the post and have the defender sitting there wondering what you're going to do and when you use a variety of moves on them, it's a done deal. He's over here jumping on pass fakes... he's over here making steal attempts as his last name is looking at mine swoop past him... {swiper nooo swiping} he's over here calling for a double team and all I did was face up...

I only play with the Lakers online 1. Cause they're my favorite team and 2. To use Kobe in the post. If you want to really learn how to play in the post, is recommend playing with Kobe because of his post game and his mid-range. You can catch the ball in the post and face up and just take whatever the defender gives you, you can go around him, you can pull up, or you can make him give up. Many people just dont even give any thoughts about the post game until you play someone who has it. Generally you'll see alot of (Y, Y's) the quick spin and thats about the only move they'll use cause in most cases it works, but thats not post game, that's weak, that and the continued use of the up and under. The post game is definitely (in my opinion) the funnest part of offense. It's an entirely new world down there, but it's not something you can just pick up overnight.

And always remember knowledge is always worth learning.

Last edited by d11king; 07-22-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

i love the post game but it feels like its just there for show when people can easily westbrook/durant turbo into the paint and hit every contesed layup or dunk because the game lacks defensive intensity in the paint.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Rookie

bottledwaterfan25's Arena

OVR: 4

I use the post game all the time, I only have about 5 or 6 different moves that I have down and use in games, but I have them all mastered by now, and it's pretty effective. The REAL problem with the post game in NBA 2k is when people use zone defense. Go ahead and try and post up successfully against someone who is using 1-3-1 defense. 1-3-1 is so completely overpowered that it nullifies the post game almost completely. Another thing that kind of kills the post game is all the reach in fouls that people love to commmit. I swear any time in this game that you throw it down low to a big guy, almost immediately your opponent runs over and starts hacking going for a steal. The problem is you can foul SO many times before even getting into the bonus.
"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Two things that would be a good start:

1) Big men need to do a better job holding their ground on entry passes. Too often my big man has good position on the block, but as soon as I throw the pass, he jumps out after it and ends up with his back to the basket 10-14 ft out. At this range, fadeaways and hook shots have a low success rate for most big men, so that leaves me with having to put it on the floor, which I typically avoid doing with big men. I'd rather pass it back out to a guard for a shot/drive. Bigs should meet the ball on the pass, but the animation in this game goes overboard with it. Every inch of real estate is precious for big men, you never want to surrender good positioning so easily.

2) There needs to be a better drop step. Just a quick, one dribble move to try to get an angle on the defender and close the distance from the goal. Again, I don't want my big men taking multiple dribbles because they are prone to losing the ball. I just want them to make one power dribble, drop step, and try to muscle it home.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottledwaterfan25
I use the post game all the time, I only have about 5 or 6 different moves that I have down and use in games, but I have them all mastered by now, and it's pretty effective. The REAL problem with the post game in NBA 2k is when people use zone defense. Go ahead and try and post up successfully against someone who is using 1-3-1 defense. 1-3-1 is so completely overpowered that it nullifies the post game almost completely. Another thing that kind of kills the post game is all the reach in fouls that people love to commmit. I swear any time in this game that you throw it down low to a big guy, almost immediately your opponent runs over and starts hacking going for a steal. The problem is you can foul SO many times before even getting into the bonus.
When I used to play online, I always called an iso play with Hibbert against zone players. My teammate would "take" his defender far enough away to allow Hibbert to go one on one. Plus, I always try to post on the low block and at an angle with the basket. As a result, I can pound the ball towards the basket for the hook, spin baseline, or hit the open cutter/shooter if my opponent brings a manual double team.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

More realistic Jump-shooting percentages and contested shots and layups might encourage people to delve into the post for high % shots.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »