Home

Hasn't Special Teams Been Neglected Long Enough?

This is a discussion on Hasn't Special Teams Been Neglected Long Enough? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Rookie

ShavarHayes's Arena

OVR: 2
Hasn't Special Teams Been Neglected Long Enough?

I've always wished that EA football titles would put a real effort in the importance of special teams. Mainly, I'd like to see SOME TYPE of FG block improvement. There have been years where users would find glitches...but I'm talking real, sim style blocks. Having a 6'6" DL sticking his paw up, making a game changing play. I think it's long overdue. Especially in NCAA, where punt and field goal blocks happen much more frequently. Any ideas you guys have as to how they could make it work?

I play sim because there's no other way to play. PERIOD
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Hasn't Special Teams Been Neglected Long Enough?

When was the last time you have seen the CPU try and coffin corner the punt? Instead they just boot it in the end zone for a touch back. Not sure why this hasn't been worked on.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

my team marshall had 20 blocks last year and that was middle of the pack. its has to be changed
Old 07-29-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Rookie

Humperdink's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
When was the last time you have seen the CPU try and coffin corner the punt? Instead they just boot it in the end zone for a touch back. Not sure why this hasn't been worked on.

I see coffin corner attempts but even with the punt accuracy at 99 they rarely get deeper than the 15, and balls NEVER die inside the 10 even if they get dropped in the proper place, they just roll right through the end zone. Punters never get good hangtime, every kick is either returned or a touchback, no fair catches (which accounts for about half of punts in real games), and the return man logic is awful, as GMSS has pointed out repeatedly for years. This has never been right, so I don't expect it to be fixed this gen.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Rookie

BrockOchoGOAT's Arena

OVR: 1

I agree with this post 100%!!! Personally, FG Block is not my biggest concern though. There need to be rugby style punts. The need to be WAY more fake punts and fake FGs. Special Teams have just been ignored for a decade and I would love to see some real improvements one the Xbox One.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 25
I've been super simming every punt, FG and Kickoff for about 3-4 yrs now just due to the fact of how awful it's been.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Pro

huntt26's Arena

OVR: 11

Special teams definitely needs a complete overhaul. I'd like to see field goals be a little more challenging, and make it possible (but rare) to block field goals or punts without an exploit.

For example, I like the kicking meter in BackBreaker. Challenging but not impossible. Speed of kick meter should be based on kick accuracy, etc.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Just started!

Also of note is how unrealistic the punt animation is. Ever notice how the punter takes one step & booms a 50 yd punt? Realistically, punters take about 3 steps unless they're punting out of their own endzone. This simple fix would make punt blocks possible & add realism to the game IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »