Home

OS - Press Row Podcast: Episode 37 - Madden NFL 25 Ratings with EA’s Donny Moore

This is a discussion on OS - Press Row Podcast: Episode 37 - Madden NFL 25 Ratings with EA’s Donny Moore within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
OS - Press Row Podcast: Episode 37 - Madden NFL 25 Ratings with EA’s Donny Moore

It’s the 37th Episode of the Press Row Podcast, a one-on-one interview with Donny Moore (@Donny_Moore) – otherwise known as Madden’s “Ratings Czar” – and host Rich Grisham (@RichGrisham). The two discuss the overall ratings process, the challenges that he faces, which players are coming in as the best-rated players at each position, some of the biggest movers and shakers since last year, and a position-by-position breakdown of the most important attributes. It’s a fascinating glimpse at a key aspect of the overall Madden experience.
Joining us this week:
Donny Moore, EA Sports (@Donny_Moore)
And your host, Richard Grisham, GamesRadar (@richgrisham)
Send us your feedback! We love to hear from you and can’t wait to read your stuff on the air in a future episode. Do it one of these ways:

1) Follow the show on Twitter at @PressRowPodcast and send us some Tweets while you’re there
2) Email the show at [email protected]
3) Respond to this post

Also, the Press Row Podcast is now available on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ow/id563624090) and Stitcher Radio (http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/oper...ss-row-podcast), so subscribe to it and rate it too!

Enjoy the show!

Run Time: 1 Hours, 2 Minutes

If you can't view or listen to the embedded player below, please click here.

Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: OS - Press Row Podcast: Episode 37 - Madden NFL 25 Ratings with EA’s Donny Moore

One of the things that drives me nuts is that the ratings change weekly. I thought ratings were supposed to represent the players ability as a whole, not based on individual performances. A larger sample size should be used to determine a player's skills, not a weekly performance. Jerry Rice had weeks where he dropped a couple of passes, does that mean that he now has bad hands and his ability to catch the football has declined? Come on...

It was nice to get some nice info on what the ratings mean and at least come to find out that a blog will come out explaining it.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
They don't have anything else to talk about. It's the same gimmick over and over. They Push you away from what really matters because it's the same game every year.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
MVP

Gorilla Glass's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: OS - Press Row Podcast: Episode 37 - Madden NFL 25 Ratings with EA’s Donny Moore

Can Donny Moore please tell me how rookie of the year Robert Griffin III (who started off last year as an 83) ended up only an 89, when Russell Wilson (who started off last year as 70 overall) is now tied with RG3 at 89? He moves Russell 19 points and RG3 a measly six points.

Alfred Morris ran for a little more than 1600 and he is rated 87. How does Donny explain the logic of a big jump for one but not the other?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 10

I really wish they would go back to spread out the ratings. Too many 93's and above.

I think anything above 93 should be reserved for hall of fame players.

The problem with ratings besides the fact that they really don't make much of a difference in game is that EA simply uses them as a hype mechanism.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Rookie

StreetCarp's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Glass
Can Donny Moore please tell me how rookie of the year Robert Griffin III (who started off last year as an 83) ended up only an 89, when Russell Wilson (who started off last year as 70 overall) is now tied with RG3 at 89? He moves Russell 19 points and RG3 a measly six points.

Alfred Morris ran for a little more than 1600 and he is rated 87. How does Donny explain the logic of a big jump for one but not the other?
Are you aware that the pre-2012 expectations for RG3 and Wilson were significantly different but they ended up playing about equally as well as one another? They should both be 89 now.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetCarp
Are you aware that the pre-2012 expectations for RG3 and Wilson were significantly different but they ended up playing about equally as well as one another? They should both be 89 now.
Well, in reality, they both should be much lower OVR.... the ratings are too effing high. But yes, but should be rated about equal.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
MVP

Gorilla Glass's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetCarp
That makes zero sense. If they both played the same and one player only moved six points and the other 19, then it's lopsided. If we actually went off your logic, 90% of players would be rated 99s. Kill it man.

Then other guys like Alfred Morrison who also had low pre 2012 expectations only move a few points and was in the running for ROY move a few points, kills what you typed.

I thought I went over this in my initial post....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »