Home

Your Most Epic Playoff Game/Moment

This is a discussion on Your Most Epic Playoff Game/Moment within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Your Most Epic Playoff Game/Moment

I'm in the second year of a planned three year Brave franchise. I only add free agents to my lower levels, and I only promote within. So minus McCann, Huddy, and Maholm, I've kept the roster pretty much intact. Ramiro Pena is still my utility guy, I mean.

Fast forward to game seven in Cincinnati. I'm throwing Teahean (85 OVR) cause I'm going with the hot hand. In two previous starts, like my bullpen, largely not scored upon. In fact, my bullpen only gave up one run the whole post season leading up to game 7.

1st - (0-0) I get Schafer aboard with a leadoff single. (Uggla got benched two games ago after a brutal cold streak, and B.Upton took his spot at second) I decide to steal on a 1-1 pitch to J.Upton only to be thrown out by a perfectly called pitchout and throw. Omen. Three hits in the inning no runs.

5th Inning - (0-0) Starting with a Jay Bruce double, the Reds finally break through. Well placed hits by Haisley and Cozart put them up by 2. The last coming off a two-seemer low and away, off the plate, with a 0-2 count. Why?

6th Inning - (2-0) Runners at the corners following a Heyward walk, Freeman takes the box. Cueto runs 2 out of 3 nasty sliders up and in through the strike zone, no chance Freddie. Strikes out, sit down. Then, with 2 outs, Upton gets robbed my journey man turned platoon stud Ryan Sweeny on a shot to the gap.

7th Inning - (2-0) Gattis ropes a shot up the middle. Baker probably thinking about Mark Prior and Steve Bartman, takes to the mound. Cueto is removed. Chris Johnson strikes out. 1 down. Simmons draws a walk. Baker pulls the plug on reliever #1. I counter Manny Parra with switch hitting Joey Terdoslovich. Who draws a walk on a 3-2 slider low and away. Bases loaded for Jordan Schaffer. The man who came through with the walk off double in the NLDS clinching victory. I stay with him on a lefty-lefty matchup. Sac Fly cuts the deficit to 2-1. Then Justin Upton clears the bases with his third jack of the series. 4-2 Atlanta.

8th Inning - (4-2) Freeman pats the lead with a solo shot. 5-2.

Bottom 8th - (5-2) The mighty bullpen that only gave up 1 run all post-season
is in full effect. Walden strikes out Phillips to record his 4th and final out. Calling upon Venters to shut the door on Votto and Bruce with favoring lefty matchups. Votto crushes a bomb on his third pitch. It almost leaves the ballpark. (5-3) Kimbrel is called to start throwing. Bruce delivers a two strike single down the third base line. Aaaaaand it's mishandled by Justin backhanding it, WTF. Jay takes second. Haisley smokes one to the gap, 5-4. Time to call upon Kimbrel to stop the bleeding, now. Kimbrel strikes out Frazier. Then Mr. Bleepin Zach Cosart goes oppo for the tying single. 5-5. Then Hannigan singles off of Kimbrel, not good. Runners on the corners, 2 outs. Hannahan at the plate. I catch him off balance with a slider, slow bouncer to BJ, who looks like he's going to tag the bag to force out slow footed Hannigan... PSYCH! He throws off his back foot. A two-hopper to Freddie Freeman, I have a mini-stroke, who digs it out for the final out. New ballgame. 5-5.

9th Inning- Simmons reaches on a walk (again). In comes Broxton. I sub in Pena with the intentions of stealing, then sac bunting him to third with one out. Broxton sniffs it out, picks off Simmons. D'oh! 1 out. I counter with a Hail Mary... Dan Mr .091 Uggla. Second pitch after after coming out of shoes on a slider in the dirt... a shot that barely makes it over the right field wall. Son of a bitch. 6-5. 3 out till the Series!

9th Inning- My bullpen is depleted. And the Reds have the top of the order up. So I turn to Luis Avilan, who has seen three outings all post-season long. He quickly takes care of Sweeny and Phillips. Tips toes around Votto, putting him on. I fell behind 2-0 on a missed call. Can't tempt fate. One on, and the biggest Brave killer of them all Jay Bruce at bat. Flashback to game 3, Luis disposes of him on three straight curve balls. So walking Votto made sense, sort of. An 8 pitch battle ensues. With Bruce finally relenting on a 2-2 curve ball. Game. Series. Pennant.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Your Most Epic Playoff Game/Moment

A lot of drama for a clinching game...good luck in the Series.

My most epic playoff moment? No question, Game 5 of the ALDS. I'm the Blue Jays playing the Angels, the team that gave me the hardest time (and a losing record) in the regular season. I'm down 2-0 until the 7th. Game goes into the bottom of the 9th tied at 2-2. After a single, flyout, single, IBB, I pinch hit Adam Lind for Arencibia and he hits a slider for a Grand Slam off of Fieri. I might never have a better moment in the game.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
MVP

stlducks's Arena

OVR: 2

I do not have a certain moment but by far the best is when I finally won my first WS with the Cardinals. But playing the Giants in Game 6 on the road to the playoffs was a nightmare. I went up 6-0 and they pulled Zito in the 3rd. I was thinking I was going to coast the rest of the way and be on my way to the WS. Then the 7th inning came around, still up 6-0 with Shelby Miller pitching a 3 hitter. First 5 batters of the ining got hits which took the lead down to 6-3, intentionally walk Posey to try getting a double play after I struck out Pence. Posey hits a 3 run homer to tie it at 6. Down hill after that...

Lost 10-6, used 5 pitchers, 3 pitches in the 7th inning alone. Luckily Waino pitched a shutout in game 7 to finish the series.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Pro

metsfan4life1's Arena

OVR: 10

I don't feel like making this long at all.. So here it is and it was truly epic. In The Show 12 I threw a no-hitter with RA Dickey. None the less I edited his atrributes to what they were in the roster updates(remember his big year-- made this much more possible). That's the first no-hitter I've thrown on the current generation consoles.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Pro

metsfan4life1's Arena

OVR: 10

The no-hitter was in the playoffs against the brewers I think in season 2013.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

On The Show 11, after playing a full 162 game season with the White Sox, I ended up losing Game 7 of the World Series to the Rockies. Lost on a suicide squeeze in either the 8th or 9th inning. Man that was tough to live with.

Took a few months off, and then started up a season with the Rockies. Had a comfortable division lead in September, but watched a lot of it slip away as I played some pretty bad ball. But, I'm in the playoffs nonetheless. Face the Phillies in the Division Series, and the first pitch of the game, Jimmy Rollins takes me deep. They score another run, and then Halladay gets into the act and hits a 2 RBI double. Before I know what's happening I'm down 4-0. First thing that goes through my mind is, "not again...a full season and I'm gonna blow it in the playoffs." Didn't crack the scoreboard until the 6th, but managed to come back and win that game. I think that was the confidence boost I needed. Cruised through the rest of the playoffs, sweeping the Phils, and dropping one to the Cards in the NLCS.

So, I'm in the WS against the Red Sox, and I've got home field. I win the first two games. Then drop the opener at Fenway.

Now, just to set the stage for this final night of gaming, my wife and I had watched some television and she ended up going to bed early, and I turned on the game. At that point, I was at game 4, the night before was when I dropped the first game at Fenway. I plan to play just one game, and get back on a winning streak and go to bed. Well, I lost. Seriously, I can't go to bed like that, and as long as I get 6 hours of sleep, everything will be fine. So, I play game 5, and lost that one too.

Now, I'm heading back to Denver down 2-3 in the series, but in my head I'm thinking I should be able to scratch out a win at home to get back on track. So, let's play game 6. Really, is 5 hours of sleep all that much worse than 6?

Well, Game 6 goes just peachy. I end up winning 8-3. Alright, my luck has turned. I was seeing the ball great, being patient. Can't let this energy go to waste. It's now 1am, and I start Game 7. I mean I'm getting old, but I should be able to function on 4 hours of sleep, right?

Well, here are the highlights (tried to embed video, but not sure it worked):

Last edited by chrishthomas; 08-28-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Rookie

redsoxfan25's Arena

OVR: 5

I have 2, both from MLB 12.

I was up 2 games to 1 in the ALDS against the Tigers. Game 4 was at Detroit. Top 7 I'm up by 2 or 3 runs. I wanted a few more runs as insurance as the top of the lineup was due next inning. Ortiz steps up with 2 runners on and for the Division Series was batting under .100. I smash a 1-0 fastball to deep right to give myself a comfortable lead. As soon as I hit it, it was one of those "get up and yell" moments, at that point I knew I was going to advance to the next round. I ended up winning the game and advanced to the ALCS.

I'm up 3 games to 2 in the ALCS against Texas. Game 6 at Fenway, I went into 15 innings. Mike Aviles comes up with a runner on 2nd, 2 outs. Ground ball up the middle, the runner scores and I advance to the World Series.

Last edited by redsoxfan25; 08-28-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Banned

Clarke99's Arena

OVR: 0

2 years ago with Arizona Stephen Drew walk off in extra innings game 5 to win the world series at home. Vasgersian says move over Joe Carter you've got company!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »