Home

Auto Subs Please Go Away

This is a discussion on Auto Subs Please Go Away within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 1
Auto Subs Please Go Away

I wish EA would just nix the whole auto sub feature because it sucks every year. Formation subs that you can actually save outside of the "pick a play" screen are much better and more true to life. Guys come out from being tired but in reality the NFL is so situation specific that most players come out for a specific down and distance more so than fatigue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Auto Subs Please Go Away

Don't see how formation subs could work for defense.

2014 Cleveland Browns 13-3
2015 Cleveland Browns 6-1
GT: MouthyRat
Old 09-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscob
Don't see how formation subs could work for defense.

Are you kidding me? They work BEST for defense imo....:P

On offense your only going to be moving around WRs and putting in different RBs, on defense you can have a completely different front 7 depending on the formation

dont be a tool...
Old 09-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

Absolutely correct

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Mizzou Tigers

PSN: yoscotty_
Old 09-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekHupp

On offense your only going to be moving around WRs and putting in different RBs, on defense you can have a completely different front 7 depending on the formation

dont be a tool...
That is exactly how I used it when formation subs were an option. It would be a pain but I would even be happy with doing formation subs at the pause menu in a game but you don't even get that option. Instead your forced to try and change players before the play clock expires.

Formation subs are available in NCAA and I don't know why it's not in M25.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekHupp

dont be a tool...
Stay classy pal.

My point was if 2 of your 4 D linemen need a breather I don't know how you could have an entirely new formation for every scenario like this that will arise.

2014 Cleveland Browns 13-3
2015 Cleveland Browns 6-1
GT: MouthyRat
Old 09-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscob
Stay classy pal.

My point was if 2 of your 4 D linemen need a breather I don't know how you could have an entirely new formation for every scenario like this that will arise.

you are missing the whole point, formation subs are not for guys to take a 'breather'
alot of guys in the nfl now esp on defense and esp in the front 7 are situation specific players, such as run stopping NTs, pass rushing DEs, coverage LBs etc etc
in your base 4-3 you are going to be run oriented, with bigger linemen and LBs with higher blockshed and str
in passing situations, nickel/dime, you may plug in smaller but faster linemen to rush the qb and/or drop into coverage. you also may play different LBs who may be faster with better coverage skills

i know the rams for an example use 4 DEs in nickel and dime packages, the falcons switch out LBs in nickel and dime (just 2 of many many examples)
most big run stopping DTs only play in run situations in base defense
you also do not want to get stuck in your base package (with your big lineman) in 2minute drills

formation subs effectively knock out 2 birds with 1 stone, you get the chance to put the best guys on the field for each situation and you are limiting snaps for certain players so that they may have more left in the tank at the end of games

on offense WRs are rarely situational, instead their snaps are simply monitored and they often come out a play or too after a big run to catch their breath
auto subs work good for offense for the most part as you want your best guys on the field and 3DRB has its own depth chart spot

formation subs work best for the defensive side of the ball
i also usually put in my 3DRB in on all shotgun plays
and having a receiving TE and a blocking TE both can come in handy in jumbo formations vs regular formations

would be nice to decide who plays special teams aswell...

honestly it was a great feature that made no sense to remove...
unlike CFM coaching schemes now (which have no real impact ingame)
Old 09-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
Rookie

I'd totally use it on offence to create my own Wildcat formations with Denard Robinson in my chise, sub in a taller WR with a lower rating for routes in goal line forms, use certain LBers and such in different forms. I like auto-sub so my guys aren't constantly gassed, but saving form subs should be an option

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »