Home

2K Football Impressions - 10 & 7 years later!

This is a discussion on 2K Football Impressions - 10 & 7 years later! within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
2K Football Impressions - 10 & 7 years later!

I own NCAA. I'm in year two of my Dynasty. I just bought Madden 25.

After messing around in the maze of menus in Madden and trying to edit sliders and then realizing my "play now" settings don't translate to the Connected whatever mode...I got frustrated.

Re-Impressions for 2K5 and APF...

Yesterday I popped in my NFL 2K5 aka NFL 2k14. WOW. I haven't played this in awhile and honestly thought I was done with it. I can't believe the quality of this game and how well it holds up graphically. Madden is straight up beautiful as an HD game. But the player movements, fluidity, foot planting, throwing and tackling shown in 2K5 are all just flat out gorgeous! Menus are easy to navigate - the game play doesn't suffer from random speed bursts - and ratings matter. Throwing with Geno Smith feels different from 5'10" Russel Wilson. note: you need to find throwing lanes with Wilson because defensive linemen will try to bat the ball down.

Is 2K5 perfect? Nope. But after 10 years it is the best NFL title available which is terribly frustrating but so impressive.

All Pro Football 2K8? Dropped this one in the ole XBOX 360 yesterday too. Goodness...how does a game without a legacy mode of any kind remain relevant and immersive? By offering the best on the field experience. From the interactive sidelines, stadium atmospheres (unmatched in any game IMO), to the unique player abilities this game is flat out technical and fun.

Is APF perfect? No. Sometimes there are coverage breakdowns, and defensive linemen can run down a play too often but neither of those things take away from the overall gameplay. More so than with 2K5, selecting the proper play, creating matchups, and player awareness and interactions mean more than ever on EVERY PLAY. You feel the importance of every yard, just like on Sundays. The AI provides a legitimate challenge and will make you pay for simply button mashing. Get to the line of scrimmage and recognize the defensive alignment...BAM, audible, and suffer the reward or consequence for your decision. Thats football.

With next gen on the horizon - I'm not sure what I'll do. As it stands now, NBA 2K is the only game I have to look forward to. Does my football gaming, and gaming hobby end with this current gen? It may. Until then I'm going to continue to enjoy these two classics from 2K!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: 2K Football Impressions - 10 & 7 years later!

I think your assessments are pretty spot on. The gameplay, matchups and reward/consequence system is pretty much the reason APF2K8 has remained in my 360 on steady rotation for 7+ years now.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 19

yes, both 2k5 and apf2k8 are the premiere football games on current and last gen.
agree with everything you've stated. APF2k8 has replaced my 2k5 as favorite football game. and with the recent find on how to hex edit the PS3, Im hoping that ratesports or some one else will make a complete NFL roster update for the PS3.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 18

I have both games for both systems. APF 2k8 on the 360 looks the best. If the developers had allowed for full modification and a full boat of team slots there would really be no need for another football game. The only things I do not like about 2k8 is the kicking mechanic and the god awful graphics during the coin toss. Still the best playing and IMO the best looking/moving fb game out there.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 18

All Pro Football 2K8 (In Barney's voice, HIMYM) = Daddy's home
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhslancers
I have both games for both systems. APF 2k8 on the 360 looks the best. If the developers had allowed for full modification and a full boat of team slots there would really be no need for another football game. The only things I do not like about 2k8 is the kicking mechanic and the god awful graphics during the coin toss. Still the best playing and IMO the best looking/moving fb game out there.
The kicking game/mechanic can be helped by boosting the kicking slider up a bid.

I love creating teams and trying to decide stuff like, "Is Percy Harvin a bronze or silver and what skills should he have?"

BTW - Is there a way to create 88 players? (11 on all my team slots available)? I'm thinking of picking some NFL teams to try to create. Been awhile since I did that. I love taking them into practice mode too.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiterateoption
BTW - Is there a way to create 88 players? (11 on all my team slots available)? I'm thinking of picking some NFL teams to try to create. Been awhile since I did that. I love taking them into practice mode too.
It's possible, but once you start changing the player names it becomes quite complex.

If you leave the names alone, everything else is easily accomplished through Finn's PC editor.

Just take preexisting legends and edit them into whomever you want them to be.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:29 AM   #8
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17

love the thread.

i am planning on doing a 10 year anniversary full franchise with the original rosters from nfl 2k5 next year just for the fun of it.

i want to max out my crib again and just have fun with it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »