Home

Help with defensive playcalling?

This is a discussion on Help with defensive playcalling? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Help with defensive playcalling?

I've only started watching the NFL this year so I don't know a whole lot about calling plays, mostly defense. I know the difference between a zone, man and blitz but I'm stuck for the rest. On offense it's not too hard to call plays or audible so I think I'm good with that. Can someone help out, because I suck online with just picking plays which I don't what to use in each situation. I don't like using Gameflow btw.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Rookie

PaPZ187's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Help with defensive playcalling?

Well for starters, you want to match up with the offensive skill players, mainly Wide receivers.

If the opposing offense formation has 2 WRs, then pick your teams base D (3-4 or 4-3). If they come out in 3 WRs you want nickel, which means 3 CBs and 2 Safety's. 4 WRs you want dime which is 4 CBs and 2 Safety's and 5 WRs you want quarters......that way you have a CB on the field for every WR the opponent has.

I would explain more but my 6 week old is crying like no tomorrow lol good luck

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

Just like you said it all depends on the situation and most importantly the matchups between you and the offense. You have to play to the strengths of your defense and attack the weaknesses in the offense. You have to decide how much risk you are willing to take each play. Most importantly you have to try and predict what your opponent will do based on the situation. There are plenty of different styles of defenses to play depending on the team you use. And even if you call the right play, it takes some user input presnap and during the play to play really good defense, especially in Madden.

Personally, I like to blitz a lot and I really rarely use zone coverage unless I'm playing it really safe on 3rd and long. Usually, I think in this order regardless of what team I'm using: Formation? To blitz? All based on the situation (down/distance and offensive formation).

What formation do I want to use? Like PaPZ point a lot, you usually want to matchup CBs to WRs for man coverage. Just to make it easier on yourself and prevent easy completions to mismatches. I usually go deeper than that, if I'm thinking run I dont mind not matching up a CB for their 3rd or 4th WR, BUT usually this means i'm running zone or blitzing LBs so a Safety ends up on a WR in man coverage instead of a LB. But to keep it simple at first go ahead and match up like PaPZ described.

To blitz or not to blitz? If I'm predicting a run, I blitz a LB or two every time. That's a personal strategy but it definitely helps to have your D attacking the O during the handoff. If I'm predicting pass it depends on the QB I'm facing and the formation they come out in. This is where the risk comes in.

A good QB (User) will beat the blitz they know is coming every time. You don't want to use those obvious blitzes, like corner blitzes where the Safties rotate across the field and pretty much scream to the offense "Blitz coming from this side!". (Those are good against the run and play action passes however, strengths and weaknesses.). Usually I only blitz LBs or Nickle back, every now and then I will throw a Safety blitz if i'm feeling ballsy. Key is, blitz more than they can block. If its an empty backfield, you only need to send 1 extra guy. If they have one RB, send two. Etc. You don't want the offensive to be able to double team. Tie up all 5 offensive lineman and if you want to try and have a free man to force the QB into a quick decision. Which is the beauty of the blitz, even if you don't get a sack you can force a quick throw.

Example:

3rd and 3 - Offense comes out with 4 WR and a RB.

I would call nickle in this situation because I want that extra LB to help out in case they decide to run. I would call a blitz for both LBs to protect against the run on their way to the QB. I would also adjust the DBs to press coverage, that extra second it takes them to get into route can mean everything. But this leaves that 4th WR vs a Safety so I make sure that safety isn't too far from the WR. If you give him 10 yards of space, its an easy throw. They only need 3 yards.

This is where personal preference comes into play about who to control during the play. YOU will have to make an impact if you are playing a good user. I prefer to control the Safety, I don't trust Maddens coverage one bit. I know based on everything I described that he SHOULD be forced to throw it quickly. Or I will move the S in up close to the WR but control a LB. I will try to time the snap and pressure the QB myself. I've had success both ways.

The most important thing for me about the blitz is you have to protect the middle of the field. The TE/Slot WR is usually the most dangerous person when you blitz. There are other options to go but the one that will hurt you the most is that Slot WR getting the quick pass and having one or two guys to beat for a huge play. If my guys miss their press coverage, it can lead to a huge pass but that still takes time to develop. That middle pass can be thrown asap. My strategy is to control the weakest link of the defense, the Safety covering a WR in my example, and make be the difference in the play.

Hopefully all that gives you some insight lol. There is much much more to it of course. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try and help, I love talking football as you can see.

Last edited by wordtobigbird; 11-08-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:23 AM   #4
Banned

Wow, thanks. How do I know how many WRs they'll come out with though? What if I go with a dime formation and they end up running the ball with only 2 WRs?
Old 11-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
Rookie

PaPZ187's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
Wow, thanks. How do I know how many WRs they'll come out with though? What if I go with a dime formation and they end up running the ball with only 2 WRs?
Before you pick your defensive play wait til you see what your opponents formation is.....once they pick a formation it will be listed at the bottom right hand of your screen (if I remember correctly).

Example: 2 RB 2 WR 1 TE

Then you have 10 seconds to pick your defensive play before you run out of time as the offense dictates the pace of play like in real life

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPZ187
Before you pick your defensive play wait til you see what your opponents formation is.....once they pick a formation it will be listed at the bottom right hand of your screen (if I remember correctly).

Example: 2 RB 2 WR 1 TE

Then you have 10 seconds to pick your defensive play before you run out of time as the offense dictates the pace of play like in real life

Alright, thanks. I'm gonna see if I can win a game online now lol.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
Banned

I played two online games and lost. Except my defense was actually very good thanks to you guys, but my offense is horrible. I think I'll need advice for that as well.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
I played two online games and lost. Except my defense was actually very good thanks to you guys, but my offense is horrible. I think I'll need advice for that as well.
Go into practice mode and practice a handful of plays until you get real good at them; use them the most and add in a new play like 1 every 2 or 3 days, and just build up your offense from there...

I would suggest practicing plays against you basic "cover 2 man under," "cover 2," "cover 3," and "Cover 4" defenses....All those other defenses like sugar and 0 cover blitzes are more situational where the ones I mentioned are core defenses to call for all players...

Also, goto YouTube and search for "madden 25 tips." All kinds of videos on how to play Madden..

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 11-09-2013 at 03:51 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »