Home

Its Extremely Disappointing That The CPU Never Pulls Up Off The Dribble

This is a discussion on Its Extremely Disappointing That The CPU Never Pulls Up Off The Dribble within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Its Extremely Disappointing That The CPU Never Pulls Up Off The Dribble

As I sit here and play against the CPU, watching just how realistic they play when attacking the basket, posting up, running the break, running shooters off screens, playing pick and roll, ect. It becomes extremely disappointing that once again, 2k forgot to hard code pull ups off the dribble into the game.

Its amazing to me, cause for the 1st time ever, everything was great last year as far as how the CPU played. I loved guarding Kobe and Melo and Durant on 13 cause they would face up and shoot a J in your grill. Not this year, and its aggrivating cause of how great the game is this year. Its no fun playing against any of the superstars in the league cause every player will attack the basket constantly. Yes, they will most likely end up with a realistic shot at the basket, but dudes like Durant would have been pulled the jumper without even needing to create space.

Please dont enter this thread talking about sliders, no mtter what you do, you will not consistantly get pull ups off the dribble. I have turned mid range and close shots to 100, turned attack the basket to 0, and takes inside shots to 0, and they will still force their way to the basket over and over again.

After last year I really really thought 2k would get it right 2 years in a row for the 1st time ever. Remember 2k10 where insted of pulling up the CPU would force a backdoor pass everytime, in 2k11 they would shoot off the dribble but the CPU didnt have a freelance offense and never ran a P&R without a play call. In 2k12 they rarely ever shot them, and changing sliders only minimized other things the CPU would do (like passing to the post). 2k13 had **** right.................

Why is it so hard for the devs to get it right 2 years in a row? This is not something thats hard to do, its a simple code thats in the game already (seeing as how when the shotclock is running down the CPU creates beautiful mid rangers). How can they make a game so great, with probably the most realistic playing CPU in sports gaming, but forget to code in the most common shot in the sport. its ludicrous.

Can I please get some attention to this thread so the DEVS dont forget to patch this into the game. PLEASE. Cause I see nobody on OS talking about it, and for this website to be full of guys who mostly play against the CPU, I cnt understand how yall are enjoying it as of right now. I dont want to hear anything about sliders, 2k13 had it fine right out the box and 2k14 should be like that also. Can we PLEASE get this message to devs, cause im not keeping 2k14 if they patch it and dont fix this issue. Thanks in advance........

Oh yeah, PS. They dont pull up off the dribble in next gen either, so you know its a flawed hard code that would prob be easy to fix. Lets get it done people.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Its Extremely Disappointing That The CPU Never Pulls Up Off The Dribble

It seems like the only time the computer create there own shot is when the shot clock is winding all the way down, which is disappointing to me. Guys like
Kobe, Melo, and Jordan are deadly pull up jumpshooters whether its off the dribble or face situations, but it seem like 2k14 ignored these players skillset
from a cpu stand point. So now it looks almost like the superstars play like role
players.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Rookie

Wow i should previewed that post before clicking submit lol
Old 11-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

Here's an example. In this video, the first CPU player Holiday failed and so he handed off to a second one, Gordon and said, your turn! It does help if you don't play as tight. That will negate some of it. Some of it will depend on the rest of your defensive setup as well. The CPU will recognize what you are doing. So if you are playing people tight it will spread the floor and go one on one for example. This is HOF sim sliders.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 11-30-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Banned

100% agree with OP. It seems like no matter which player it is, they will force their way to the basket.

The offense from the CPU used to be so diverse, now I can guarantee that 90% of the time it will be a layup, three pointer, or free throws. The only time I see the CPU take a mid-range jumper is if they are WIDE open... and even then some player tendencies cause them not to take wide open jump shots.

At this point I've become so accustomed to this style of play by the CPU that I don't notice it anymore. But I remember playing 2k14 for the first time and wondering why the offense was so one dimensional.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
Here's an example. In this video, the first CPU player Holiday failed and so he handed off to a second one, Gordon and said, your turn! It does help if you don't play as tight. That will negate some of it. Some of it will depend on the rest of your defensive setup as well. The CPU will recognize what you are doing. So if you are playing people tight it will spread the floor and go one on one for example.

It seems the CPU goes to this one one one play an unrealistic amount of times per game. Even if the floor is spread a certain way, they rarely try to run a play or even a pick and roll.

They just say "OK, even if you're matched up against Gary Payton right now we're going to call an iso for Jimmer Fredette because that's our only response to this defense"

So as shown in your video, the CPU just bulldozes it's way into the paint. I find that 8/10 they will get the foul called or make a contested shot. 2/10 they will get blocked or lose the ball while going up. It gets annoying, and I can't change sliders because the only mode I play is MyCareer at this point.

Does this drive tendency only occur on HOF settings? If I changed my difficulty would I see less of this?

Last edited by mbb643; 11-30-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Rookie

Anyway i agree with what you said in the op, it's just not as fun playing the cpu when its either drive to the basket or kick it to a shooter for a open three
I like the variety and with the guys you mentioned not taking the shots they
would normally take in real life makes playing against superstars pointless. and it also imo make the game very predictable.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbb643
It seems the CPU goes to this one one one play an unrealistic amount of times per game. Even if the floor is spread a certain way, they rarely try to run a play or even a pick and roll.

They just say "OK, even if you're matched up against Gary Payton right now we're going to call an iso for Jimmer Fredette because that's our only response to this defense"

So as shown in your video, the CPU just bulldozes it's way into the paint. I find that 8/10 they will get the foul called or make a contested shot. 2/10 they will get blocked or lose the ball while going up. It gets annoying, and I can't change sliders because the only mode I play is MyCareer at this point.

Does this drive tendency only occur on HOF settings? If I changed my difficulty would I see less of this?
Not sure. I only play on those settings now and haven't checked. I find people tend to play defense too tight on the point guard which causes the drive to happen more often. Start by sagging off some and see. I'd have to play a team over and over to see what I could do with defending it.

I'm like the other guy, I don't even think about it anymore I'm so used to it. It's probably more a tendency issue and better rosters might help but I think I asked Bedwardsroy19 who customizes rosters about it and he wasn't sure. Might be wrong. Might have dreamt I asked him lol.

You can also take a foul on the floor in some of those situations and make the CPU reset the offense.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 11-30-2013 at 11:40 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »