Home

next gen ON ball defense

This is a discussion on next gen ON ball defense within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
next gen ON ball defense

first let me say this thread is only for those who've played mostly on ball defense in their 2k careers

are any of you guys having difficulty playing all ball defense compared to previous 2ks? offline

i didnt have this problem on the xbox 360 version of 2k14, but on the xbox one if i hold Left trigger (L2) feels like the defenders lateral movements are extremely slow, like im playing in quick sand. even if im holding turbo

computer is blowing past me at will. no matter what defender i have.
i tried putting my adjusting my defensive assist to no avail
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: next gen ON ball defense

I've credited it to the foot planting and momentum. After playing this game, when I look back at CG, we were almost gliding across the floor to stay in front of our man in comparison to NG.

I feel like its something that'll get better once we get used to it. I've had beautiful moments where I've anticipated properly and strapped my man up, but I've also had moments where I got lazy and reacted instead of anticipated, and got dusted.
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof
Old 12-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 0

At first, I was horrible with it but I've learned a few things since. Dont hold down the left trigger all the time. I know we are used to it, but I find if I don't hVe the left trigger down when he tried to get by me, he can't.

Follow me on Twitter!
Http://twitter.com/cantrellchad
Old 12-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

forgot to add but i know its possible to slide your feet faster cuz computer does it all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by quehouston
I've credited it to the foot planting and momentum. After playing this game, when I look back at CG, we were almost gliding across the floor to stay in front of our man in comparison to NG.

I feel like its something that'll get better once we get used to it. I've had beautiful moments where I've anticipated properly and strapped my man up, but I've also had moments where I got lazy and reacted instead of anticipated, and got dusted.
yea i def credit it to foot planting
and i try to predict but computer on hof reacts to your predictions, so if you commit one way its a quick crossover and youre left in the dust causing all kinds of bad rotations that always leads to an open jumper or lay up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csquared
At first, I was horrible with it but I've learned a few things since. Dont hold down the left trigger all the time. I know we are used to it, but I find if I don't hVe the left trigger down when he tried to get by me, he can't.
so strictly playing defense with the thumb sticks?
Old 12-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Ive always played on-ball defense. On next gen, it is harder, that is because of the foot planting. The best way is to anticipate the ball handlers move and react. Dont hold the intense defense button. Use the sticks anticipate the move then use intense d to body up and force the ball handler to pick up his dribble. Only hold the intense d button if they are standing in front of you just dribbling without trying to go anywhere, this will keep your feet planted so you can explode in either direction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
MVP

Phreezy P's Arena

OVR: 24

I'm having more of an issue with my players moving too fast, and 1 slow crossover from the CPU sends me out of bounds.

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Old 12-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 10

Initially I was having the same issue but I've gotten used 2 it. Still don't think it's as good as LG but I can stay in front of people a lot better now. Online tho is practically impossible...
Committed 2 page, I write a rhyme, sometimes won't finish 4 days
Scrutinize my literature from the large 2 the miniature
I mathematically ADD minister
Subtract the wack, Selector, wheel it back I'm feelin that!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Rookie

TerminallyOdd's Arena

OVR: 1

I'm doing OK with it offline, but online against a human opponent has been rough. I suppose it's the lag, but I just can't stay in front of anyone with decent speed. I've always played these games holding down the L trigger on D, but this time around that leads to getting blown-by. Without the trigger, it feels like my player is on roller skates.

The contrary is also difficult, for example when controlling a big man (playing off the ball), and trying to follow a center who is particularly active, running baseline or something. Bogut, for example, controls like an ocean liner. I know he's slow footed, but it feels like he weighs 2 tons. Easy to end up out of position.

I've just started playing mostly off-ball defense, and playing help defense/cutting off passing lanes until I get the hang of it. Picking and choosing when to use the L-trigger seems to be a good tip, as others have mentioned.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »