Home

Tiebreakers in Madden25?

This is a discussion on Tiebreakers in Madden25? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
MVP

Robcards's Arena

OVR: 9
Tiebreakers in Madden25?

Couldn't find anything on here or elsewhere on the internet regarding how tiebreakers worked in Madden25. I know in the past they've been goofy like alphabetical order, random, etc etc so just wondering if its still the same way or if they actually wrote the 300 lines of code it'd take to follow actual NFL tiebreaking procedures. Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Tiebreakers in Madden25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards
Couldn't find anything on here or elsewhere on the internet regarding how tiebreakers worked in Madden25. I know in the past they've been goofy like alphabetical order, random, etc etc so just wondering if its still the same way or if they actually wrote the 300 lines of code it'd take to follow actual NFL tiebreaking procedures. Thanks
What I know for sure is EA definetly does not do it correctly. I'm not sure if the "alphabetical order" thing is true, some say it is and others say it isn't.

In my franchise the Browns were tied for wild card with the Titans. Both were 9-7. In real life the Titans would have got in since they had won a H2H game with the Browns during the season.

But in my Madden franchise the Titans did NOT get the wild card. They had the H2H win and better divisional wins but the Browns still got in. I couldn't figure out why.... Other than "B" comes before "T"

Some people say random.

Some say alphabetical order.

Some say Points for totals are used.

I'm not sure but I know for fact it's not true to life.

Furthermore... It's been this way for years. I assume EA either doesn't care, they don't have the coding skills to program it correctly, or they are simply un-aware.

It gets worse....

Playoffs are seeded on wins not by division winners as it should.

Also ties are not accounted for. In Madden a 10-5-1 team has the SAME winning % as a 10-6 team. (The game is programmed to divide wins by total games played determine %, but the additional 0.5 wins for a tie is foolishly left out of the equation).... Yes. You read that correctly... So I guess basic math eludes EA.

Basically you need to realize EA doesn't give a $@#& and Big Brother loves you.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkpkp
What I know for sure is EA definetly does not do it correctly. I'm not sure if the "alphabetical order" thing is true, some say it is and others say it isn't.

In my franchise the Browns were tied for wild card with the Titans. Both were 9-7. In real life the Titans would have got in since they had won a H2H game with the Browns during the season.

But in my Madden franchise the Titans did NOT get the wild card. They had the H2H win and better divisional wins but the Browns still got in. I couldn't figure out why.... Other than "B" comes before "T"

Some people say random.

Some say alphabetical order.

Some say Points for totals are used.

I'm not sure but I know for fact it's not true to life.

Furthermore... It's been this way for years. I assume EA either doesn't care, they don't have the coding skills to program it correctly, or they are simply un-aware.

It gets worse....

Playoffs are seeded on wins not by division winners as it should.

Also ties are not accounted for. In Madden a 10-5-1 team has the SAME winning % as a 10-6 team. (The game is programmed to divide wins by total games played determine %, but the additional 0.5 wins for a tie is foolishly left out of the equation).... Yes. You read that correctly... So I guess basic math eludes EA.

Basically you need to realize EA doesn't give a $@#& and Big Brother loves you.
You are accurate with your assessment of EA's kindergarten math skills. This is just straight up lazy and a lack of thought for the consumer that would like to have a legitimate football experience. But they do what I expect of them....enough to get by. It's bad business.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
MVP

Robcards's Arena

OVR: 9

All it would take is an algorithm that is run one time at the completion if week 17 that first loops through the tied teams' schedules to check for head to head, if no head to head or a 1-1 split return false then proceed to conf record, div record, record vs similar opponents, etc and seed the teams appropriately. I don't see how that would take up a lot of memory, should have a constant run time, and would take 1 developer less than a day to code. It is sheer laziness, much like not having the accurate 2014+ schedules.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards
All it would take is an algorithm that is run one time at the completion if week 17 that first loops through the tied teams' schedules to check for head to head, if no head to head or a 1-1 split return false then proceed to conf record, div record, record vs similar opponents, etc and seed the teams appropriately. I don't see how that would take up a lot of memory, should have a constant run time, and would take 1 developer less than a day to code. It is sheer laziness, much like not having the accurate 2014+ schedules.
.... Or the wind direction arrow which has been backwards for years now.

On kicks, punts, and field goals it points in the direct opposite direction of the wind.

But hey.... It's EA.

With bugs and programming errors that are there year after year, there really is no excuse. Especially when seemingly simpler things are left un-fixed year after year. Surely they are aware of; wind, tie-breakers, and team record calculations, but alas... they never fix these things.

All I can think is one the following is going on at the EA offices:

1-They do so little testing and literally never read their twitter/forums so they are genuinely un-aware of issues like these in their own game (least likely reason in my opinion).

2-The Dev Team has little to zero actual talent/knowledge when it comes to programming and coding games. So they therefore do not know how to fix these things and choose to ignore them since they couldn't fix it even if they wanted to (maybe a little of this and the next scenario... read on).

3-The Dev Teams' bosses tell them not to fix such issues and order them to focus on newer game features or adding additional modes/features. Therefore they are essentially instructed not to fix such issues and that is why we see the same bugs year after year before finally or maybe being fixed. (This is most likely what is going on).

So again, I say number 3. It's like that at my office at times. I'm sure the EA offices are no different.

Sure the Dev team might care... But proof is in the pudding that EA does not care.

I mean the frikin' wind is backwards. lol
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »