Home

Running the screen pass

This is a discussion on Running the screen pass within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Rookie

revan615's Arena

OVR: 2
Running the screen pass

Anyone have any success with these plays? I'd like to run some more wr screens, but I've only gotten the qb to run the play correctly twice. Hb screens are seemingly impossible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Running the screen pass

I've had some success with screen passes after spending a lot of time trying to make it work. To my experience there are some screen plays that won't work and some that'll work well against the right defense (don't call it against Cover 2). As a basic rule you need to know that anyone needs to have the specific play mastered (especially QB and RB/WR). I figured that the screen passes out of the Shotgun work better than from under center.

In the PB creator you'll find a WR screen from the Shotgun Empty formation. I've had some success with it, throwing it to Ted Ginn (I used him only for returns and those screens).
As for the RB screens, make sure you call them against blitz heavy teams. Works best if you have a RB who can break a tackle or make a tackler miss. I've had Cletis Parker for that role.

However, there's no guarantee that it'll always work. Play knowledge and reading the opposing defense is essential. A QB with high AWR helps. You'll probably take the occasional sack on those screen passes because your QB won't throw the ball away if the RB/WR isn't open initially.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Rookie

I suspect that QB SPD and/or AGI might be helpful. Sometimes the play is successful only because the QB backpedals fast enough to avoid the pass rush until the receiver is open. High QB AWR is desirable too: I've had my QB pass to an alternate receiver downfield when the screen receiver is covered.

For HB screens, extreme HB SPD, ACC, and maybe high RTR should be helpful so the HB can run his route faster than the pass rush can close on the QB. The screen receiver, HB or WR, should have good moves or BTK for after the catch.

Certain screens are more successful than others:
  1. WR screens--the WR screen "route" is very quick;
  2. screens where the guard stays in pass protection--slowing the pass rush some;
  3. screens where the FB or HB blocks to the play side--blocking for the pulling G or T.

As for the defense, I think screens are successful mostly against zone blitzes because:
  1. there is no DB assigned to the screen receiver;
  2. there is no DB covering the "flats" zone (zone blitz is usually cover 3 over hook/curl zones);
  3. the DE or DT in front of the pulling G or T may drop back into coverage, delaying the pass rush;
  4. if you guess right, the blitz may overload the wrong side of the line, leaving no pass rush in the gap left by the pulling G or T.

I've had screen passes create good YAC and break for long TDs, kind of a boom or bust situation, but it seems they are still more likely to result in a sack or a completion and tackle behind the line, even after they are mastered. Maybe I'm just not good enough at recognizing the defense's tendency to call zone blitzes.

(BTW, my experience is mostly with "picker19's" sliders.)

Last edited by SwimsWithPhins; 12-18-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Banned

Screen passes are honestly just not worth the hassle. You HAVE to have a QB and receiver with high awareness. You HAVE to have the play mastered. You HAVE to have a super and often mobile OL. The defense HAS to not be in man.

I gave up on trying screen passes even though I like them a lot.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
Rx3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimsWithPhins
I suspect that QB SPD and/or AGI might be helpful. Sometimes the play is successful only because the QB backpedals fast enough to avoid the pass rush until the receiver is open. High QB AWR is desirable too: I've had my QB pass to an alternate receiver downfield when the screen receiver is covered.

For HB screens, extreme HB SPD, ACC, and maybe high RTR should be helpful so the HB can run his route faster than the pass rush can close on the QB. The screen receiver, HB or WR, should have good moves or BTK for after the catch.

Certain screens are more successful than others:
  1. WR screens--the WR screen "route" is very quick;
  2. screens where the guard stays in pass protection--slowing the pass rush some;
  3. screens where the FB or HB blocks to the play side--blocking for the pulling G or T.

As for the defense, I think screens are successful mostly against zone blitzes because:
  1. there is no DB assigned to the screen receiver;
  2. there is no DB covering the "flats" zone (zone blitz is usually cover 3 over hook/curl zones);
  3. the DE or DT in front of the pulling G or T may drop back into coverage, delaying the pass rush;
  4. if you guess right, the blitz may overload the wrong side of the line, leaving no pass rush in the gap left by the pulling G or T.

I've had screen passes create good YAC and break for long TDs, kind of a boom or bust situation, but it seems they are still more likely to result in a sack or a completion and tackle behind the line, even after they are mastered. Maybe I'm just not good enough at recognizing the defense's tendency to call zone blitzes.

(BTW, my experience is mostly with "picker19's" sliders.)

I've had pretty good success with the standard screen plays in the I formation as well as singleback and shotgun in my current career (All screen passes over 75 success score, two of them over 80!)

I agree with most of what Swims said, but the QB SPD/AGI doesn't have to be that good. Awareness for QBs is the key. My current QB has SPD/AGL/ACL all in the low 60s, but his awareness is 91. My runnung back is Chris Johnson, excellent speed, accel, agi and route running. His break tackle isn't good but his juke move is 88. CJ is an extreme in the speed dept, but I've had it work with slower backs as well (mid 80s SPD,ACL). If you give up speed, the RTR needs to be there as well as some of the other intangibles.

Like Swims said, you can trade off elusiveness in the back for TRK/Break tackle, but the speed for the back has to be there for the play to fully develop. Once the back has the ball, he either has to break tackles or turn on the jets immediately. Especially against man coverage. Zone coverage, a slower back can still make some progress, but against man you need high elusiveness or TRK, or a combination of both(78-85 each).

Calling screens in long yardage situations can be a bit more effective since most defenses tend to drop back quite a few defenders. The space will give your back some time to make something happen.

Definitely need the plays MASTERED.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »