Home

Man defense vs Zone defense

This is a discussion on Man defense vs Zone defense within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Man defense vs Zone defense

Is everyone familiar with the CPU's ridiculous completion percentage in this game? Usually in games against the CPU, the CPU QB will have a completion percentage around 70 - 80%. That's really high. I'm not just talking about Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers either. Even Sam Bradford or Carson Palmer will do it.
I'm mentioning this because I find it incredibly difficult to slow down (you can't stop) the CPU passing game. I've experimented with man defense and zone defense and man defense is like not playing defense at all. WRs are wide open with the guy "covering" them just lost in space. After noticing how poorly my team fared running man defense, I decided to just run zone defense 90% of the time. It's fairly effective in that I'm not giving up 300 passing yards and an 80% completion percentage. But I'm still giving up 250-300 passing yards with a 65-75% completion rate. I'm not saying this is the worse defense in the league, but how do I get a great defense? Would I literally need to acquire CBs with like 90+ man coverage? Has anyone been successful at actually having an effective pass defense at all on this game? Ranking in the top 10 or top 5 in pass defense at the end of the season would be considered successful by my standards.
Also, if anyone has had any success limiting the CPU passing attack, what method did you use? Mostly zone or man? I've noticed that if you run a lot of zone, Tampa 2, the CPU will very rarely attempt to throw the ball deep. This is one of the benefits of running a lot of zone defense. What have you guys experienced with the CPU passing attack and what do you to to control it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Man defense vs Zone defense

first, i often find the CPU complain percentage is too low.

as for the approach, i use balanced or prototype CB only, who i develop by getting their MCV & PRS up first into the 90s, before raising the PRC & ZCV.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Pro

What sliders are you using? Madden is an arcade game with out a good slider set. After that I find that the style of defense ( 4-3 3-4 4-6) will have their inherent weaknesses but will also work well against the offenses that they work well against in real life. If you go up against Peyton and his spread attack with a 4-3 he will pick you apart. But if you have a good d line and run a 4-6 you should be able to stop him.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Pro

Well, my CBs aren't very good. My highest rated one is Dominique Rodgers Cromatie, who I picked up in the off season and is the only one one my corners who has a reasonably high MCV rating. My other corners all have better ZCV than MCV that is why I use mostly zone defense. I do have reasonably good success running the Tampa Cover 2 and the opposing QB usually takes longer to complete a pass when I run that defense. And I do have a very good defensive line and fast linebackers, so maybe I should just run a Tampa 2 defense.

As far as sliders go, I have the CPU QB accuracy at 40 and WR catching at 50. My PDRT is at 60 and Pass Coverage is at 20. I usually give up a lot of passing yards and a high completion percentage. This is partially due to the CPU's inability to run the ball well against me, so they resort to the pass. And I play Matt Ryan and Drew Bree's twice a year. But this kind of reminds me of all the other Madden games where u can shut down the run, but can't stop the pass. I just wanted to know if anyone has been able to really hold the CPU passing game in check for the majority of the season and, if so, how?
Old 12-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Pro

Really not trying to pimp my sliders here but give them a try. Qb acc should be much lower. Also pass r t. Should be higher. Pass coverage gets screwy when you get too far from 50. Try 40-45. Also don't play all Madden as imo it makes up for crap d by hyping the offense. Allpro with sliders to increase difficulty is better for me.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo
What sliders are you using? Madden is an arcade game with out a good slider set. After that I find that the style of defense ( 4-3 3-4 4-6) will have their inherent weaknesses but will also work well against the offenses that they work well against in real life. If you go up against Peyton and his spread attack with a 4-3 he will pick you apart. But if you have a good d line and run a 4-6 you should be able to stop him.

honestly don't know. haven't adjusted my sliders in ages. i used some that were posted on here. think they were the ones endorsed by the game that headlined on this site.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo
Really not trying to pimp my sliders here but give them a try. Qb acc should be much lower. Also pass r t. Should be higher. Pass coverage gets screwy when you get too far from 50. Try 40-45. Also don't play all Madden as imo it makes up for crap d by hyping the offense. Allpro with sliders to increase difficulty is better for me.

I'll give the slider adjustment a try.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
Rookie

Basically, what the only thing I can do when I know they are passing it, have your defense commit to the pass. I play on base sliders and except when I'm going up against the elite, can control the other team pretty good. It is extremely important IMO to have at least two linebackers who have are fast and have a good man coverage rating. Ideally, it isn't one thing or the other but rather you can mix it up enough. The computer will exploit you if you run the same plays over and over.

Depending on your DL, pressing on certain zone plays can be effective. I tend to never press in man to man. I get burnt because of the psychic blockers stopping all my blitzes. By the time I get a successful move on the OL the WR breaks out

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »