Home

*RUMOR* OOTP guys making a football game?

This is a discussion on *RUMOR* OOTP guys making a football game? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50
*RUMOR* OOTP guys making a football game?

I saw this post on the OOTP forums -

Link

The post is from user ripwalk at OOTPDevelopments.com

Quote:
Quote:
The OOTP Developments Team

PS: Anyone following the NFL playoffs? Looks like the Super Bowl will be one heck of a game. Good luck, Seattle and Denver.
Innocent enough.. But someone on the OOTP Devs Facebook group, under the announcement, remarked:

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks the blurb about the Super Bowl on their page and the word 'game' in Italics is a hint that OOTP is working on a football game finally.
To which whoever controls the OOTP Devs Facebook account remarked:

Quote:
Hint? What hint?
So... could be nothing, but it was odd for the OOTP newsletter to randomly mention the Super Bowl ... And the response on Facebook certainly stokes the fire a bit.

This would be amazing news.. Perhaps an announcement upcoming during Super Bowl weekend??

I know Markus had said this isn't something he himself would take under, as he isn't familiar with American football and obviously it would cut into the resources he could put into developing OOTP. But I'm thinking perhaps a situation similar to FHM would be possible, where an ambitious developer or two could be working on the game, with access to the code and knowledge that comes from Markus, as well as the following of OOTP Devs?

Anyway... thoughts? I would love to play a customizable American football game with even part of the depth that OOTP has!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: *RUMOR* OOTP guys making a football game?

I saw the random Super Bowl mention at the bottom of the OOTP 15 announcement, but didn't think anything more or check out the forums. Interesting info. I would definitely be interested in an OOTP-style football game.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
Lead Developer for BTS

OVR: 0

Hello everyone!

There's a front office section of Operation Sports, and it turns out my log-in details for that forum don't work here, so I had to sign up again. Strange!

Anyway, there is quite a long thread in there regarding this exciting news

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=88274

But I will now check this thread as well all the time

I would pay attention this coming week everyone!
Old 01-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
Lead Developer for BTS

er, I have no idea why that link called itself a blade trinity trailer! I can assure you it's not.

I also couldn't work out how to edit my posts! Not a great start I admit.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

The posters in that thread I posted in first post have really seemed to figure this out. Nothing of course is announced yet, but it really seems like there will be a new football sim.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

I'll see if I can dig up anything.
Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-26-2014, 11:13 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
I'll see if I can dig up anything.

Check the link to first thread. The detectives over there almost have if figured out. Haha
Old 01-27-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
Rookie

Honestly, I'd be happy to see what OOTP can bring to textsim football, but I don't have a ton of faith. There's a reason the majority of football text sims are horrible...

Football is pretty much the most misunderstood sport in existence.

One example that will likely apply to most people in this forum (and I say that not as an insult, but as in illustration... the people in this forum are educated on their sports. If you fall under this, it's a shortcoming of the sports media, not you)...

Every (and I mean every) football video game, text sim or otherwise, consider "3-4 vs. 4-3" to be the primary distinction between defenses. This is ridiculous... that's like saying the 49ers propensity to run 22 personnel is what most makes their offense unique from the Jets, who typically trot out 11 personnel. In truth, both teams favor a power running game an intermediate horizontal stretch based passing game predicated on play action.

3-4 is 3 defensive linemen and 4 linebackers. 4-3 is 4 defensive linemen and 3 linebackers. You can send either package out there and align in any front you like. The base personnel package is irrelevant to the tactical side of the game... it's a strategic decision. The Ravens and Seahawks both primarily use "Under" as their base defensive front... the only difference is that Suggs is considered a "linebacker" and Clemons is considered an "end." For the purpose of the Under front, they're both a "Buck", just as Simeon Rice was for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Under defense during their glory years.

So I've just equated the current Ravens, Seahawks, and the Dungy/Kiffen Bucs... 3 defenses that the media and any football video game would NEVER equate. They all based out of the "Under" front (the combination of a front and a shell is what makes up the defensive equivalent of a "formation", although that's not really an applicable term for defense).

Another point is the running game. Every single text sim treats a run as a run... no regard as to whether it's a misdirection run (attempting to move the defense away from the point-of-attack), a quick run (attempting to reach the point-of-attack before the defense can react), a power run (attempting to get more bodies to the point of attack than the defense can), or a zone run (attempting to let the defense reveal to you the ideal point of attack).

If we get basically Front Office Football with OOTP's polish and interface, I'll be hugely disappointed.

Last edited by DropkickCleary; 01-27-2014 at 11:49 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »