Home

We don't want DRM in this game

This is a discussion on We don't want DRM in this game within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2014, 01:14 AM   #1
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
We don't want DRM in this game

This is one of the worst decisions I think that's been made by 2k for this game.

The updates are not frequent enough

You can't save a roster to your Hard Drive. A 50 GB download and I can't even put a save on my hard drive, why?

You have to wait 5 minutes or longer seemingly to get one of the server rosters to show up

You have to do this every single time you want to play a quick game... EVERY SINGLE TIME?

You have to choose jersey's in a particular order or they wont work, or the game will freaking freeze on you

Overall I don't care what online guys say, this is just not the way to go and its a huge mess.

I understand stifling hackers but there has to be another way instead of making everyone suffer through all of this madness just because you don't want someone to take a peek at a secret jersey.

I don't think any of these sports games, especially 2k keep up enough nor is it a great idea to tie everything into a server that could easily not work or it just slow as molasses

If I could find one word that would describe how we feel about this decision here it would be UGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

Last edited by 23; 02-10-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2014, 03:06 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: We don't want DRM in this game

I remember a time that I enjoyed clouds. Staring up at the sky and trying to imagine what each cloud resembled. Those were simpler times. When your imagination could run wild. Now thanks to those clouds and my 2k saves that have been place upon it, I have to deal with... NBA Today videos that have not once loaded since my purchase. Myplayer/GM clothing pictures and items purchased that have not once loaded since my purchase. Hello Mr Stern, are you impressed that I came to shake your hand at the Draft wearing a brown shirt, sweats and no shoes? One must dress to impress. Of course now with the amazing All-Star update, I have to load the newest official roster each time and only getting the jerseys for this years game. Arena is still the Toyota Center. Those are just a few things off the top of my head and not even touching on some of the gameplay quirks. I have only had the game a few weeks and wonder how people who have had to deal with this game since launch have any hair left.

Congratulations 2K, you have made me hate clouds.

Too late, dude.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Only Sephiroth hates Cloud more than I do
Old 02-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Only Sephiroth hates Cloud more than I do

Old 02-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26

The people who lose when it comes to always online DRM are the legitimate purchaser of the game. We are the ones who have to suffer because of this.

2K14 is one of the best examples of how always online DRM hurts the consumer (tied with Sim City).
What happens in 5 years when their servers are removed? We will have a game, that we legitimatly paid for, that is unplayable.

One of the big things the Xbox One was faulted for, before the changed their policy, was that it had to always be online. Sony made a big deal about how we would be able to play offline. 2K took it upon themselves to make sure they made a game that counterfeited that.

Like you said; why can't we same to our HDD? Why is that being kept on servers when I want to play a game with my own modified roster?

I have a friend with whom I play a modified roster in quick games. We spent hours editing teams and suddenly the file was corrupt and we couldn't load it.
We get to play once a month but that day was ruined because of the always online idiocy.

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I wish this thread could be stickied to the top of every single NBA 2K forum on the entire internets. I wish the thread title itself was defaulted as the desktop background for every single employee working on the next iteration of NBA 2K.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #7
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

The good news is, I think they have heard us loud and clear that this nonsense should not return.

I HIGHLY doubt it is in next years game....if it is, might as well cue the titanic music..
Old 02-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #8
Rookie

They took 2k13's servers down like a month into 2k14 so sometime around the end of this year like 80% of this game will be unplayable (if it wasn't already, lol) when the severs are shut down.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »